MS 361 Muffler Mods???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new to this...

Hey guys I just purchased a MS361 and compared to my Husqvarna 55 Rancher well lets just say there is no comparison.
I have been reading up on this Muffler mod and am willing to try it out. I have done basically the same thing to my 4 wheeler with amazing results after re-jetting the carbs.
Now on to a few questions.....
Do you just drill through the front cover or do you go any deeper?
What kind of tweaking on the carb should I expect?
How much louder is it? I wear ear protection but do cut in town sometimes.
I was told to bring my saw back to the dealer after 10 hrs and he would tweak it for me and put it on a tach. Will this void my warranty or should I just do it and lets him tune it?

Thanks

Personnally I would wait out the 10 hours and then do the mod.

Take some pictures as you perform this mod and post'em please, it is good for all to see, someone always comes up with a new idea or better way of doing it, just better mouse trap.

Ed, ehp, who does lots of mods, says all the 361 needs is the muffler mod. I would wait until after you've been to the 10 hr tune up and check over. Then remove the clips on the front of the muffler, that is hidding the screws that hold the muffler on. Remove the muffler and drill three holes in a row across the front, under the screw holes, see pics above. ehp recommended that you not drill through the basket work inside the muffler. This means drilling in from the front, carefully, then blowing everything out from both the back and the front, with an air hose to get rid of the filings. Replace the muffler and you are done. Does not require much of an adjustment, if any to the carb. Yep, wear the ear plugs.

Maybe it's got to do with where the additional port is made in the muffler, but mine on the side isn't that much louder than stock. The other thing to remember is that after a muffler mod, the saw will want to run faster, it'll be leaner. If you tune it to 13,500 WOT stock, and then do a muffler mod and retune it to 13,500, you'll likely be on the rich side. You really can't go off of factory RPM specs for a modded saw. It kinda defeats the purpose anyway. That said, don't let it run too fast. I've got mine running about 14,000 and change WOT, and that's enough for me. I could probably go more, and push the envelope, but I'm fine with that. Saw runs really nice there opened up.

Jeff

West Texas said:
Ed, ehp, who does lots of mods, says all the 361 needs is the muffler mod.

I don`t think that`s exactly what he said. I believe that he said the 361 really comes alive with a muffler mod. This doesn`t mean there isn`t more to getting all that a 361 has to offer.

Russ

Jokers, I have not found Ed's comment that I was looking for; but, on his 'Saw Video' thread at #79 he shows Ben's stock 361 with a 4.1 cut, at #80 he shows it with a ported cut of 2.3 and at #81 he shows a picture of the port mod. I don't know how to put the thread in here, still learning how this web site works.

I know on some of Arts saws, that Ed did more than a muffler mod. But I think Art was wanting to do some competition?? My remarks should have been qualified to say that I think the 361 with the muffler mod, makes a great "work saw". And I think Ed's thread shows that with an improvement from 4.1 to 2.3 in the two videos.

In the meantime, I will quit quoting people if I cannot copy their remarks. So lesson learned.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I`m afraid that we are making more of this assumed misunderstanding than the situation warrants. If anyone needs to learn a lesson here, it`s probably all of us.

But.....in the thread that you have referenced, I again think that you have confused what was stated. Ed has many times posted before porting and after porting times on various saws owned by various individuals. The porting that Ed is referring to is cylinder porting, aka mods or porting, and muffler porting is part of and a requirement of the typical porting job. Here is the threadBen Walker`s 361 in Saw videos thread . Ed provided the visual details of how he modded Ben`s muffler because Ben wanted something different and was anxious to see what it looked like before he received the saw.

Ben received the full woods mods on his saw.

Russ

Last edited:
jokers said:
Hi Tom,

I`m afraid that we are making more of this than this assumed misunderstanding than the situation warrants. If anyone needs to learn a lesson here, it`s probably all of us.

But.....in the thread that you have referenced, I again think that you have confused what was stated. Ed has many times posted before porting and after porting times on various saws owned by various individuals. The porting that Ed is referring to is cylinder porting, aka mods or porting, and muffler porting is part of and a requirement of the typical porting job. Here is the threadBen Walker`s 361 in Saw videos thread . Ed provided the visual details of how he modded Ben`s muffler because Ben wanted something different and was anxious to see what it looked like before he received the saw.

Ben received the full woods mods on his saw.

Russ

Russ that is not an MS361 or am I just confused now!

Lobo,

If you follow the link to the thread referrenced and start reading at post #79 you will see where Ed states that it is Ben`s 361, in post #81 a picture of the saw and muffler is available. You won`t be able to see the model number on the side because the handlebar blocks it, but you can still tell that it`s a 361.

BTW, I spoke to Ben the other day and he was quite enthused after putting the 361 to wood. Another very happy EHP repeat customer!

Russ

jokers said:
BTW, I spoke to Ben the other day and he was quite enthused after putting the 361 to wood. Another very happy EHP repeat customer!

Russ

icon14.gif

My 361 is a full woods mod, not a just a muffler mod. I work it Monday-Friday, race it Saturday. Last race it was faster than a modified 394. Only two saws here faster 357, 088 both from Ed.

jokers said:
Lobo,

If you follow the link to the thread referrenced and start reading at post #79 you will see where Ed states that it is Ben`s 361, in post #81 a picture of the saw and muffler is available. You won`t be able to see the model number on the side because the handlebar blocks it, but you can still tell that it`s a 361.

Russ

The pictures are so dammmm samall I really can't tell waht is in the picture.

I need to get these cataracts removed :dizzy:

Lobo the reason for small pictures and video is so people on dail up can see them as well plus there is only a 2MB limit with is huge compared to other sites.
the first video is of Ben's 361 stock , the next one is Ben's 361 ported , which means the jug was lowered, piston was cut, ext. intake, and tranfsers were ported, muffler was modded. carb reworked.
The deflector I used is a husky part number 503 58 99 01 because alot of people have PMed, emailed me to find out. Hope this helps

Ed,

I've bought a used MS361 that's supposed to be here next Tuesday. If its half as good as it looked on ebay, its the saw I'll be sending you the first of November.

Tom

This 3 hole method looks plain and simple

Could I opt for say 10 smaller holes on the side instead?

Save welding etc.

Thread is years old... But it caught my eye as I was about to go out to the shop and powdercoat a 361 muffler mod.

Key to the 361 muffler is getting past or rid of the junk inside it. All the exhaust gets funneled through a tube not much bigger than a pencil.

Even with two 3/4 pipes I don't find too much trouble getting a decent idle. It is a bit louder than stock no doubt.

A series of small holes does not do so well for directing exhaust and can make a mess of the saw... plus the welding is fun.

I'll throw up a pick later after the powdercoat is cooled.

Last edited:
Key to the 361 muffler is getting past or rid of the junk inside it. All the exhaust gets funneled through a tube not much bigger than a pencil.

Where did you take the muffler apart to get the inside junk out? Did you unfold the crease or did you cut and weld? I've got one pipe on mine, but decided at the time not to gut the muffler. I am reconsidering gutting it now.

Back