MS 361 Muffler Mods???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

West Texas

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got a new 361 and the muffler is a real departure from all previous Stihl saws. As far as that goes, it has a lot of changes: ie airfilter/carb setup are different too. The engine vibration isolation from the handles is fabulous. Only tested it during setup; haven't used it in the woods yet.

Question: Has anyone made a mod on the muffler of a 361? I'm at 6500' elevation and it has really made a difference in the other saws. But, I've not used this saw yet, just set it up last night; :) it may be a winner just like it is.

Appreciate any feedback.

Tom

YES! Get it opened up. I had Dean open mine, and it was an even better saw. My biggest gain was in torque which is no surprise, but in comaparison to it running much faster or cooler, I didn't notice those as much. With a 24" bar on there, buried in Doug fir, you can't easily bog it out if at all. I've intentionally tried, and it's got the Q to pull it through. Great saw on many levels.

Here's a thread in which I posted a pic of the modded muffler...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=23390&highlight=361+muffler

Jeff

Here is one that also works quite well. Pretty simple to do.
361_muffler_resized.jpg

That looks like the muffler mod on my 360 too. I drilled the holes, then used a couple of brads to secure a piece of screen wire on the inside of the cover, just as a precaution against sawdust getting into the muffler. Repainted it; looks and works great.

Tom

Oh yes, how did you get the muffler off the 361? I removed the obvious screw in front, pryed here and there with a screwdriver, with no luck. Am I missing something else that should be removed? Or do I need to 'pry' a little harder to get it off???

Tom

Tom,

I replied to your PM regarding removal of the 361 muffler. For the benefit of anyone else who is wondering, you have to pry out the two plugs just above where the holes are drilled on this example and remove the two recessed muffler bolts.

Russ

If you go to saw video's in my forum and go to post number 81 you will also see a 361 that I did differently but works well also, I used muffler deflector from a husky on it

That sure is a nice looking muffler mod! :blob2:

How big are the hole(s) under the deflector on that muffler?

If memory serves me, you have made a point of putting the holes on the side, not in the front, of the muffler to keep a decent back pressure, right?

The hole under the deflector is the size of the hole in the deflector, it doesnot matter if the holes are in the front or side, the picture that Jokers put on is also mine but Ben didnot want holes in the front so I did that. I found when running the saw it was not that noisey with the deflector but louder to anybody else that was off to the side and remember that the 361 has a basket in the muffler full of holes which I leave alone

MS 361 Muffler Mod

Well guys; based upon all the excellent advice on removal of the muffler, etc, I made the three hole mod on the front. Touched it up with some heat type paint and it looks and works great. Thanks for all the replys.

Tom

What about the 036??? Does the muffler need to be modded too??? They are not a very old ones, 1999, and 2001??

I've put a muffler mod on 026/260, 036/360 and 044/440 with improved performance on all of them, as it reduces the backpressure in the muffler. The piston exhaust port is much larger than the small exhaust port in the muffler. By making additional holes in the muffler, you allow the full exhaust to escape; producing more power.

On the 036 I enlarged the existing hole, and drilled an extra hole near the existing exhaust hole. On my 360 I drilled the extra holes in the front of the muffler, and then installed a piece of screen wire with brads, to keep crap out of the muffler. I like the holes in front of the muffler better, as the exhaust is not blowing onto the handles, etc.

Tom

West Texas said:
...with improved performance on all of them, as it reduces the backpressure in the muffler.

Is a muffler mod about lessing backpressure, or increasing airflow, or both? I thought it was more based on airflow, as I understand that some backpressure is required for proper operation.

OK everybody, shoot.

Jeff

neverenough said:
What about the 036??? Does the muffler need to be modded too??? They are not a very old ones, 1999, and 2001??

I'd almost go so far as to say that most any modern saw would/could benefit from a muffler mod of some sort. The EPA, factory built in noise considerations, etc are present factors on all saws. I'd think an 036 would respond well to one.

Jeff

Well you might call it reducing backpressure or increased air flow; but, the 'jake brake' I used to have on my desiel engined truck, essentially cut off the exhaust flow, and that combined with the engine drag, made for a super brake in the Colorado mountains.

And it seems to me that when the piston port is larger than the exhaust port, you got a 'jake brake' on the chainsaw.

Tom

West Texas said:
On the 036 I enlarged the existing hole, and drilled an extra hole near the existing exhaust hole. On my 360 I drilled the extra holes in the front of the muffler, and then installed a piece of screen wire with brads, to keep crap out of the muffler. I like the holes in front of the muffler better, as the exhaust is not blowing onto the handles, etc.

Tom

I did this today with my Dremel. Did pretty good making full bar cuts with a chain that was about ready for a sharpening.

Back