ms 361 with 24" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattergun13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that an ms361 with an 18" bar would be tip heavy then suggested a 24" bar to balance it out. This didn't make sense to me. I am considering buying a 361 with a 24" bar to get some bigger stuff locally and so I won't have to bend over as much to limb. My 290 has both a 20" and 18" bar and I have my 170 to complete the trio. I cut firewood only for personal use, does this sound like a good strategy? Any input is appreciated...:confused:

Don't get the 361 unless you intend to retire the 290. I don't think I've started the 290 since I got the 036 up to snuff. The 036 is about one HP more and one lb less, than the 290 - tough to go get the 290. I'd want more of a spread between saws - your 290 and 361 would be too close to really be of benefit. Of you really want to run that big of a bar, move up to the 441.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that an ms361 with an 18" bar would be tip heavy then suggested a 24" bar to balance it out. This didn't make sense to me. ....

Not to me either - but I agree the 18" one make it slightly tip heavy...:)

The 361 is a pretty light saw for a 60cc class one - probably the lightest one when fake specs are removed from the picture. :clap: :clap:

Get the 24 in bar. If you don't like it, sell it on ebay for more than you bought it for.

I bet you like it unless you are trying to cut for time.

I've never really understood the importance of "balance" either. You say you need a bigger bar, then get the 25".

I have a 24" on mine, and it sure makes limbing a lot easier. It is streatching it to cut 24"+ hardwood, you just have to take your time. I have muffler modded mine, and it works great. I probably would not go back to a 20. This is just my thought, and other's may not agree.

We sell almost all of our 361's with 20 bars. I run the carry 16" and 20" bars if I only take one saw.
But I bring one of the 026's 026 I put a 16" on that and keep the 20" on the 361.

Back