Ms 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hope Brad Snelling makes it to your next GTG that will shu Wanab up.
Ok i post it but i dont belive he will zip his gob

Interested in buying a MS361 to use along with an 026 (about 15 years old) 16" and MS440 (about 4 years old) 20" and 25" bars. . . . The plan will then be 026, 16"; MS361, 20"; and MS440, 25".

When checking things out at your dealer, also look into what other parts the saws may share: filters, sprockets, covers, etc., along with the bars and chains.

There was another thread on making up a spreadsheet on saws. We have 5 different Stihl models and it is interesting to see which ones share parts.

It looks like with a little careful planning, one could keep fewer spare parts around, and be able to swap things between saws in a pinch.

Philbert

Not only that, Gary, but the decomp button renders worthless any contraption designed to make it easier. LOML, at 107 lb, can start my MS 361, but she can't pull the old Echo 3900.

Good point. I have seen more problems on starting small displacement saws with a decomp than bigger displacement saws. I think I used the decomp on my 361 the first few times I used it just to see how it worked. It works flawlessly... But lord help those that don't know when the engine makes that magic "pop" and pushes the decomp out. Then it's flooded saw city.

The saws under 70cc don't need a decomp af far as I'm concerned... :)

Gary

Good point. I have seen more problems on starting small displacement saws with a decomp than bigger displacement saws. I think I used the decomp on my 361 the first few times I used it just to see how it worked. It works flawlessly... But lord help those that don't know when the engine makes that magic "pop" and pushes the decomp out. Then it's flooded saw city.

The saws under 70cc don't need a decomp af far as I'm concerned... :)

Gary

Aint the de-comp like trying to start a worn out saw with low compression!

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I just started the 440 using my left hand instead of the right. I put the choke all the way down, pushed in decomp valve and pulled about 5 times till pop. Then I pulled up choke lever one setting up and pulled about 3 times and it started. I didn't push in the decomp again. Some times when it won't start the decomp valve never pops up and I can pull forever and it won't start. Is there a way to pop it back up?

PS: I just went to local dealer in Wilkes-Barre and he had big markdowns on all the pro saws. MS361 was about $550, was tempting but didn't get it, settled for new 24" half skip chain, bar oil and gas oil.

thanks again.

I plugged my 361's decomp. I'm pretty sure it's a 3/8" pipe plug. My compression reading went up a pound or three and I don't miss it, except sometimes it seems like the empty hole in the plastic cover is aesthetically unpleasing.

Wow S.K. plugging the D.V. is extreme! I also never use the D.V. because it's only an M.S. 260, but also because the one time it was ever started with the D.V. depressed was also the only time it ever needed more than one pull once in the "warm start" position (2). Although I.D.K. if I'd PLUG it L.O.L. well done!

It is nice hear from someone close to where I grew up.

Welcome. I grew up in Dallas Pa. We lived in a nice area with a lot of fields and woods. It was a great place for a kid to be raised, unfortunately Fitch and Son's bought it several years later and developed it.

Latest posts

Back