MS-362 Muffler Mod - pics and info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright guys, everybody starts somewhere. Lets try not to criticize as much as point him in the right direction. Honestly OP they mean well. The guys on this topic are some of the most helpful around on this stuff. Your method is just a little too dangerous and unorthodox for us lol.

Loco

Alright guys, everybody starts somewhere. Lets try not to criticize as much as point him in the right direction. Honestly OP they mean well. The guys on this topic are some of the most helpful around on this stuff. Your method is just a little too dangerous and unorthodox for us lol.

Loco

no the method was just plain dumb. and the excuse to do it this way was just that. an excuse. there is alot of info out there (or here) on the proper ways of cleaning the carbon out of the exhaust port if so needed. weather it was crud all over the saw that maybe an air compresser would have helped with or the flaky bits in the port itself. and it still wouldn't be as damaging to the engine as the steel shavings and grindings. no reason to risk engine damage for the sake of a few screws. no matter what the excuse.

no the method was just plain dumb. and the excuse to do it this way was just that. an excuse. there is alot of info out there (or here) on the proper ways of cleaning the carbon out of the exhaust port if so needed. weather it was crud all over the saw that maybe an air compresser would have helped with or the flaky bits in the port itself. and it still wouldn't be as damaging to the engine as the steel shavings and grindings. no reason to risk engine damage for the sake of a few screws. no matter what the excuse.

This is a muffler mod thread, not exhaust port cleaning first of all. Secondly I wasn't defending his way of doing the operation. I was simply trying to comfort the blow of some of the advice as he seems to be a novice in the mod dept. you don't want newer members scared to post for fear of getting told they were "dumb" now would you? At any rate, at the end of the day, it's his saw, his mod, and he can kill it if he wants to. I would feel different if he was doing this to someone else's saw. But he wasn't. Learning from mistakes is the only way some people learn. That's why I said we should point him in the right direction for next time. Jmho

Loco

Please, please, please remove the muffler before attempting a muffler mod:cry: The limiter cap should have gone back on after removing the limiting tab. Your tach reading is misleading because you're hitting the rev limiter, making it read low. Anything other than WOT means nothing as well. Please read up on tuning in the wood. Also, it if won't idle below 3,000 RPMs, that indicates that your tune is off on the L needle.

This is creative criticism.

This is creative criticism.

hey if you want to pat him on the back for a 'good job', by all means. go ahead and encourage a halfassed job.
not only halfassed, damaging to the engine. anybody with any mechanical experience (and i mean any) knows not to get steel filings and shavings inside of the engine.
i mean, how does anybody think this is a good way of doing it?
then to 'blow out the muffler' the way it was done is just asking to add more junk into the engine. do you think it was only the grindings that were blown through the engine? any loose carbon that was holding on in the port (letalone the combustion chamber) was just blown back into the engine. weather it landed on the top of the piston, or pushed past the transfers down into the bottom end. it's now IN the engine. waiting to do some damage when ever it pleases.
like i said. glad he aint my mechanic.

Evidentially, by your last post, I see you're still confused. I am not patting him on his back and I don't think laziness or halfassedness is the reason he didn't take the muffler off. He was scared it would give him more trouble... HE DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER. I'm sure next time he will, especially seeing as how offended you got over the whole thing. Thinking the grease would stop the shavings he felt safe to continue. While I wouldn't he did and I'm,again,not condoning that. So that everyone here understands... GM I'm not patting you on your back and please do a little more research on things like this. It's ok to ask questions and this community will be more than happy to help for the most part. I've asked my fair share of idiotic questions I'm sure but sometimes even Einstein looked stupid. Good luck with your newly modded saw bro.

Dam y'all are harsh. But I do agree on the hack job done. Makes me feel like a MM pro. To the OP don't let these guys get u down what they are, are chainsaw pros. Four months ago I had never ripped into a chainsaw or a simple muff mod and now I do full rebuilds without blinking all from knowledge obtained from these guys. What I suggest is don't try to reinvent the wheel. Some of these guys do this s### every and have been for years. Take their advise and use it. It works trust me. If that were my 362 and I were you I would be searching threads on how to tear down a ms362. Do it, learn from the experience and you will feel more comfortable with your mods. And I bet you will find mysterious vertical scratch marks on the exhaust side of your piston. Tear that sucker down. DO IT WE HAVE FAITH IN YOU.

Evidentially, by your last post, I see you're still confused. I am not patting him on his back and I don't think laziness or halfassedness is the reason he didn't take the muffler off. He was scared it would give him more trouble... HE DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER. I'm sure next time he will, especially seeing as how offended you got over the whole thing. Thinking the grease would stop the shavings he felt safe to continue. While I wouldn't he did and I'm,again,not condoning that. So that everyone here understands... GM I'm not patting you on your back and please do a little more research on things like this. It's ok to ask questions and this community will be more than happy to help for the most part. I've asked my fair share of idiotic questions I'm sure but sometimes even Einstein looked stupid. Good luck with your newly modded saw bro.

no confusion what so ever.
if you don't know what your doing. ASK QUESTIONS.
if he didn't know what to expect taking the muffler off. ASK QUESTIONS.
did he read any posts here on even just this site? was he totaly blind? how many fraking muffler mod threads are there? have YOU even looked?
show me one post other than his where somebody said to leave the muffler on and to pack some greese in it and grind away.
if he was scared to pull one of the easiest mufflers off of a damn good saw, he should have left it alone until he had the knowledge to do a simple task.

Does this mean I should take the cylinder off, before a port job?:msp_blink:

The main part of what I was saying in every one of my posts in this thread is to help him without being so harsh. From the sound of it he isn't qualified to be anyone's mechanic. I never questioned that. I'm sick of arguing a point and getting criticized myself over this ****. For all I care he can put dynamite in his fuel tank and light it. Not my saw or my concern. I just thought it could be handled a little more classy. Brad said it right first. I didn't think the object was to run off new members. But whatever. Your criticism is probably as detrimental as his mechanic work. If you can't see that maybe I'm wrong eh?

Nah I'm good guys. No problem here. Just over reacted a little. Sry but I'm still new to a lot of the stuff I do as well and if I did something wrong I'd want to be told. Just not like that. I'm done.:taped:

One post to bring back and old thread - my MS362 - running like a champ more than FOUR YEARS LATER. Cutting huge pines the last couple years to clear out the hardwoods on the near side of the stream bed. Muffler Mod worked; runs cooler, good throttle response and rips with a 20" bar (although most of the time I use a 16") but needed the 20" for the 30" pines.

I had the 'de-coking' done by the local former Stihl Dealer (won't stock $30K worth of saws to keep the dealership) - no issues noted when he looked it over. Best part is he didn't put the stupid limiters back in.

Back