MS 362 Muffler Mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navistar82

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im sure its been beat to death on here, but what consists of a muffler mod on a 362? Im interested in doing it on mine, but dont know where to start or what to do.

Ive already done a search on here, with many topics coming up that had nothing to do with a muffler mod.

Thanks

The mufflers are built the same way as the ms361 is. They have a very restricted exhaust.

Theres a thread on here that Lakeside53 did on modding the 361 muffler. See if you can find it. It's an easy mod and works pretty good.

Me, I like to uncrimp the muffler and pull the whole baffle system out of the muffler. You can then open up the stock outlet as big as you can get it. You can only open the stock outlet if the baffle is removed. You'll see what I mean when you see inside the muffler.

I think Timberwolf has a thread on taking it apart. See if you can track it down also. I personally think taking the baffle out is the better mod for it then just adding the port to the side of the muffler like the Lakeside mod.

my 362 had no internal baffles, just a restrictive outlet. i added another port which consisted of (2) 0.500" holes covered with fires screen and a huskey deflector. worked great, and felt like the saw had more torque after the mod (could just be in my head!)

attachment.php

Be sure to retune after MM or there will be a new thread titled "Help I melted my piston what do I do"

Taking out the baffle sounds easy enough. I was expecting it to be a bigger project...finding this part...finding that part. I'm used to working in powerstrokes...nothing is easy in them!

Thanks guys.

Stumpy fabricated a deflector from SS that was pretty cool. (Can't link as I am using a Nook, at the moment).

Does the muffler need to be removed to do either of the mods? Is it the 2 screws at the bottom of the muffler to remove it? Some of the other site's Ive looked on said there isnt any baffles in they're 362. Id hate to take the time to uncrimp the muffler to find it empty, when all it needed was a hole in the side and a heat shield.

Thanks

my 362 had no internal baffles, just a restrictive outlet. i added another port which consisted of (2) 0.500" holes covered with fires screen and a huskey deflector. worked great, and felt like the saw had more torque after the mod (could just be in my head!)

attachment.php

I did the EXACT same mod on mine and no, the torque increase isn't in your head.:rock:

Haven't pulled my 25" bar yet but it screams with the 18".

Plus it sounds WAY better now.

Does the muffler need to be removed to do either of the mods? Is it the 2 screws at the bottom of the muffler to remove it? Some of the other site's Ive looked on said there isnt any baffles in they're 362. Id hate to take the time to uncrimp the muffler to find it empty, when all it needed was a hole in the side and a heat shield.

Thanks

DO NOT UNCRIMP IT. All you need to do is drill the hole and add the Husky deflector. You will need to remove it and there are two additional screws under the caps in the center of the muffler.

Make sure you blow all the metal shavings out of it before you put it back on and richen the carb up about 1/4 turn

Search the forum, there is info here on how to do that

Some of them may not have the baffle. I was under the impression that they did.

Two bottom screws and two more inside the two front holes in the muffler. Theyre in there deep. You will have to remove it to mod it. Don't forget to blow the shavings out when youre done or they'll be inside your jug. When you take the muffler off and look inside the back you should be able to tell if it has the baffle in it. I just ripped the whole baffle system out of mine. It left three small 1/8th" holes in the front of the muffler from where it was tack welded but I just brazed them back over.

It'll run alot better with the muff modded. Thats a fact.

What size of hole is under the deflector? Just to clarify, drill a hole in the muffler, clean out shavings, mount deflector , adjust carb and its done?

Thanks

You can open up the stock outlet pretty good from the inside. Open it up as big as to can and also add another hole in the side with a deflector and sparkscrren if you want/need it.

If you have the baffle inside, you'll have to remove it before you can open the stock outlet.

Click this link HERE and you'll be able to see the muffler of a 361 which is the same muffler. Also, scroll down to post #8 in that link to see some more muffler mod pics.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, sorry for being so inquisitive. Don't want to ruin my saw by doing something wrong and screw up my power.

I will tackle this as soon as I find a T27 torx small enough to fit the holes going through the muffler.
My 1/4 drive socket is too big for the opening.

Thanks for the pics and info.

Last edited:
Well if theres no baffle in it then you should not have any problems.

No kidding...what's with it being a "mod" If its not restricted? Or is the factory muffler exhaust outlet still not up to snuff for the saw?

Anyhoo, I bought my saw from a guy on here, it didn't have the torx bit. I got one from work today...if I even mess with it now.

Back