ms 390 ms 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[The feel wrong stuff you'd have to explain further for that baffles me. What is there to feel wrong?
Thall, Gink perhaps this will help to explain. To some of us, chainsaws like fishing rods or firearms feel and balance distinctly different from one mfg/model to another. When you have elbow issues, sometimes a different grip angle or handle spacing can make a huge difference in the amount of discomfort you feel. And don't give me the tough guy crap, 95% of the 4 cords of Oak per year I split by hand.[/QUOTE]

Thats all fine and dandy on the feel but someone shouldn't say a saw is crap because it feels wrong to him, so what it feels fine to me. I think people are making excuses on why they need a pro saw. If you want it just say it, no one has to come up with this stuff to have a reason. If you can afford it Great. I bought a Bobcat with heated cab to pick up wood and dump it. But I can see that people are not buying this crap about buying saws they don't need. At 4 cord of wood a year I myself didn't need the pro saw. And the tough guy thing was my whole point, If you are splitting by hand isn't it more demanding on the body than a 1" difference in handle to grab bar distance? Buy a splitter if you have elbow problems, I bet they won't be as sore than the type of chainsaw you use. And I don't use a hyd. splitter either I like the exercise. :cheers:

Thall, Gink perhaps this will help to explain. To some of us, chainsaws like fishing rods or firearms feel and balance distinctly different from one mfg/model to another. When you have elbow issues, sometimes a different grip angle or handle spacing can make a huge difference in the amount of discomfort you feel. And don't give me the tough guy crap, 95% of the 4 cords of Oak per year I split by hand.

Thats all fine and dandy on the feel but someone shouldn't say a saw is crap because it feels wrong to him, so what it feels fine to me. I think people are making excuses on why they need a pro saw. If you want it just say it, no one has to come up with this stuff to have a reason. If you can afford it Great. I bought a Bobcat with heated cab to pick up wood and dump it. But I can see that people are not buying this crap about buying saws they don't need. At 4 cord of wood a year I myself didn't need the pro saw. And the tough guy thing was my whole point, If you are splitting by hand isn't it more demanding on the body than a 1" difference in handle to grab bar distance? Buy a splitter if you have elbow problems, I bet they won't be as sore than the type of chainsaw you use. And I don't use a hyd. splitter either I like the exercise. :cheers:[/QUOTE]You make some very good point's.
Oh I am too cheap to buy a splitter, and I only deal with easy splitting wood that's all that grows here. :mad: I have a bunch off different saw's as much as I like to rib guy's with saw's with bent handles( handle angle) I get used to it in a few minutes of cutting. Even so I wish my 7900 felt the same way as my macs and jreds do. It balances perfect with a 20'' bar! But I get used to it fast when cutting plus it is light and has more than enough power. Did I mention it is light?lol and smooth.
I also have so many axes and mauls, that yes when you pick up one after using another it feels strange but you get used to it in a few minutes of splitting.
I should also just to make myself clear, say I am glad my 7900 does not feel like my macs in that it is so smooth when running in the cut or out of it lol. Just in a way wish it had the same handle on it but I can live with it.:cheers:Now when will that full wrap handle be available for the 7900?

Last edited:
Thall, Gink perhaps this will help to explain. To some of us, chainsaws like fishing rods or firearms feel and balance distinctly different from one mfg/model to another. When you have elbow issues, sometimes a different grip angle or handle spacing can make a huge difference in the amount of discomfort you feel. And don't give me the tough guy crap, 95% of the 4 cords of Oak per year I split by hand.

Thats all fine and dandy on the feel but someone shouldn't say a saw is crap because it feels wrong to him, so what it feels fine to me. I think people are making excuses on why they need a pro saw. If you want it just say it, no one has to come up with this stuff to have a reason. If you can afford it Great. I bought a Bobcat with heated cab to pick up wood and dump it. But I can see that people are not buying this crap about buying saws they don't need. At 4 cord of wood a year I myself didn't need the pro saw. And the tough guy thing was my whole point, If you are splitting by hand isn't it more demanding on the body than a 1" difference in handle to grab bar distance? Buy a splitter if you have elbow problems, I bet they won't be as sore than the type of chainsaw you use. And I don't use a hyd. splitter either I like the exercise. :cheers:[/QUOTE]

All I can say is what I said before. I've never had a customer buy a 290 that came back and said it didn't feel right. I've never had a customer pick up one and tell me it didn't feel right before they went out the door with it. Where I come from people put the saw on the log, pull the trigger and hang onto it while it cuts. If theres more to this feeling thing apparently I don't and my customers don't know what more to it there is. Sawing wood is not rocket science in Virginia, maybe it is elsewhere but not here. Course then again people that are sawing wood aren't sitting here like me and everyone else on here talking about it,LOLOLOL I'm gonna go saw some wood, I need to bond with my saws, ya know, get a feeling for them,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I've split 30 cords in the last year by hand, all hardwood. Does that mean I prefer the rubber 660 over the spring 441, 280? Or what?

All kidding aside I agree with both sides of the argument. I personally prefer the 036/360 over the 361 due to the powerband of the 361. I also don't even like 60cc saws for much. They aren't great at anything.

I guess I'd be happy with either the 390 or 361 if that's what I had. Just don't try a 70cc saw, because you'll want one too bad.:givebeer:

I've split 30 cords in the last year by hand, all hardwood. Does that mean I prefer the rubber 660 over the spring 441, 280? Or what?

All kidding aside I agree with both sides of the argument. I personally prefer the 036/360 over the 361 due to the powerband of the 361. I also don't even like 60cc saws for much. They aren't great at anything.

I guess I'd be happy with either the 390 or 361 if that's what I had. Just don't try a 70cc saw, because you'll want one too bad.:givebeer:

Good post. I rep ya if i could. There are about 5 of us that like the 036 over the 361.

I still find that the 440/372/7900 gets the most use. Probably the 440 the most for its light weight and high power

- it just felt all wrong when picking it up......:censored:

LOLOL, the norwegian jury just lost her credibility by that statement ...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

All Stihl shops in Belgium are flooded with 290 and 390 models, sold to Mr and Mrs firewood. Like Thall rightly mentioned, so many Belgians can't be wrong ;)

Man u guys are a hoot! if all i did with my saws was firewood the 290,310,390 saws would be the saws of choice but when u use them to make ur income ill go with the 361

Man u guys are a hoot! if all i did with my saws was firewood the 290,310,390 saws would be the saws of choice but when u use them to make ur income ill go with the 361
Ya but a 361 would not cut it and I mean literally on the west coast!Like everyone from Alberta I am going to retire out there at least I got the saws to heat my home lol. Now seriously I live in the land of small tree's but have spent allot of time on the west coast, if you will the PNW the tree's are much bigger there!As much as many think here the 361 can't and wont do everything!
P.S long live big saw's and full wrap handles!

Last edited:
ya i tried to get the 361 to get me a beer didnt work maybe the 044 will. Your in big bar country out there in the pnw
I have about 10years to wait until I am a member of the PNW lol. The 361 is a great saw and I am not a stihl head (just don't like the way any new Stihl looks)But the 361 is a smooth cutting machine!

Well, living here in the middle of the PNW for much of my life myself (born here too)... I can say that a 290 will cut almost anything here. The 361 will cut anything here... well, up to 4 ft DBH. By here I mean this stand I manage in the coast range of Orygun, some 85 acres of trees. 24 inch oaks fall over by themselves when I whip out the 361. One look at the saw and they whimper and crash land.

The 290 will do the job though. Madrone, oaks, firs. They all fall down and get bucked up. Most all of the county and state workers around here use exclusively 290s too. We fell hundreds of trees here per year. Thinning, clearing, Rx forest plan cutting, and harvesting. Now, if we had to rush things or needed things felled faster, to get home earlier and all (no need to, as we are already home when cutting) well then, a 440 and 460 will certainly tear through the wood faster. Also goes through the gas a lot faster. And harder on the hands (as is the 290; they are all vibe-prone). I have owned both the 440 and 460. No longer have either one. I am looking for a Dolly 7900 though, if such a place as a Dolmar dealer actually were to materialize in this part of the world. They seem to be more myth than real around these parts though, so I am stihl limping along with my magical 361.

Last edited:
[If you want it just say it, no it more demanding on the body than a 1" difference in handle to grab bar distance? Buy a splitter if you have elbow problems, I bet they won't be as sore than the type of chainsaw you use. QUOTE

Because splitting buy hand doesn't bother my elbow like my 310 did! I agree with what you said about "needing" a pro saw. None of my saws are pro models either.

Thall, don't forget I'm from Northern VA also.

[If you want it just say it, no it more demanding on the body than a 1" difference in handle to grab bar distance? Buy a splitter if you have elbow problems, I bet they won't be as sore than the type of chainsaw you use. QUOTE

Because splitting buy hand doesn't bother my elbow like my 310 did! I agree with what you said about "needing" a pro saw. None of my saws are pro models either.

Thall, don't forget I'm from Northern VA also.

I know you are but I didn't know your 310 bothered your elbow. Whatcha think it was about that saw that bothered your elbow???

LOLOL, the norwegian jury just lost her credibility by that statement ...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

All Stihl shops in Belgium are flooded with 290 and 390 models, sold to Mr and Mrs firewood. Like Thall rightly mentioned, so many Belgians can't be wrong ;)

Sure they can.........:buttkick:

:cheers:

I never see them here, except the 390 when it is on "sale".....

I know you are but I didn't know your 310 bothered your elbow. Whatcha think it was about that saw that bothered your elbow???

I honestly don't know. To me the Stihls are front heavy and don't balance as well as the Huskys. I remember another guy on the web saying Huskys felt like a @#$%! pipewrench. So everybodys different.
But I totally agree with what you guys were saying about making excuses for pro saws. Two of my buddy's use 029 supers and they are good machines. I can point at my metal cranckcase and they'll just point at their billfolds.

Back