Ms 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadruss83

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know that most of you don't like the ms 390s, I traded one of my old shotguns for this saw, I like it but I would like to do a muffler mod to try and squeeze some power out of it, any comments and pictures would be appreciated, thanks!

Wat to close to the 361 in price, compared to in quality etc......:)

You made me check that. Local list on a 290 is $360, a 390 is $500!!?

I guess it makes as much sense as $500 for a 6400 and $700 for a 7900, but paying 40% more for virtually the same saw with the same costs of production sticks in my craw a bit.

So many people are quick to tell you to search, but I've tried to search for this particular mod and it takes FOREVER. So, feeling generous, here's what I do to the 290/310/390's mufflers.

aac.sized.jpg

aaa.sized.jpg

I use a punch to mark where the holes are going to be then drill them with a 5/16" bit. Totally clean off any burrs and blow out the muffler making sure there isnt ANY metal left. Then, I use a die grinder to remove material off the deflector. As with any muffler mod, DO NOT DO IT UNLESS YOU RETUNE THE CARB! They run a helluva lot better following this mod.

Last edited:
I know that most of you don't like the ms 390s, I traded one of my old shotguns for this saw, I like it but I would like to do a muffler mod to try and squeeze some power out of it, any comments and pictures would be appreciated, thanks!

Remove the three taps on front of the muffler, remove the cover and screen. You will see two small slots in the muffler, thats your exhaust. I merely drilled between the slots and made one long slot instead of two and widen it a tad with a bigger drill bit. Put the plate and screen back on and no one will ever know the differance. Richen up the carb a tad and go cut some wood. The 390 is not a slouch, they run pretty decent. They aren't a big seller because of the 361 being lighter, pro and alittle higher performance within $110-130 of the 390. Even so ya got it for a old shotgun, hell enjoy, ya did good..

So many people are quick to tell you to search, but I've tried to search for this particular mod and it takes FOREVER. So, feeling generous, here's what I do to the 290/310/390's mufflers.

ada.sized.jpg

acy.sized.jpg

I use a punch to mark where the holes are going to be then drill them with a 5/16" bit. Totally clean off any burrs and blow out the muffler making sure there isnt ANY metal left. Then, I use a die grinder to remove material off the deflector. As with any muffler mod, DO NOT DO IT UNLESS YOU RETUNE THE CARB! They run a helluva lot better following this mod.

Good job!!!

Thanks THALL10326 for the pics of the muffler, thats kind of what I had in mind, I'm going to try to mod mine this week if I can

Sorry Evanrude, I was looking at the wrong post, you did a good job and I appreciate the pics!!

What's that have to do with this post? He traded for it. They're a durable and reliable mid-grade saw.

Been there, asked that, gotten a smart-a$$ comment from him. That's the Troll for you- bashing away at anyone and everyone. Ask a simple question and he'll try to make you look stupid for asking it.

Works the other way, Troll... :censored:

Thanks for the pics and instructions- I'm going to try it on my 290 tomorrow!!!

Great post on the pictures,, that's what I did, except I drilled 5 holes 1/4". Worked great.:clap:

Been there, asked that, gotten a smart-a$$ comment from him. That's the Troll for you- bashing away at anyone and everyone. Ask a simple question and he'll try to make you look stupid for asking it.

Works the other way, Troll... :censored:

Thanks for the pics and instructions- I'm going to try it on my 290 tomorrow!!!

Wow. It is cold here too. Where is this global warming ****????

The strippers down here in the local mammary bars are coming out on the
runway wearing furs and down coats............

The fur motiff is getting old, but the down vests have my interest........

The jello wrestling is getting a tad firm though...........

I am lobbying for the "MUSHROOM GRAVY WRESTLING NIGHT".........

I think it would be a hit..........................

With "MASHED POTATOES", and one of the girls, OK 2 of them..........

Latest posts

Back