MS 460 muffler mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some one gave me a part number a couple of weeks ago for a ported muffler from Stihl.
I can't find it, can you give me the number again?
Will it improve performance?
Thanks

How much louder does it make the saw, and is this part available at any Stihl dealer?
How much is it?
Thanks!

I always wear ear and eye protection regardless of the saw.
Will call my stihl dealer tomorrow and ask him if he can order it

BTW......
I sthis a complete "drop-in" replacement muffler, or a modified cover?

I'd get the whole dual-port muffler and cover, not just the cover. The muffler is different also (no inner baffle, bigger rear exauhst hole).

clyde said:
I'd get the whole dual-port muffler and cover, not just the cover. The muffler is different also (no inner baffle, bigger rear exauhst hole).

That depends on the age of the saw. There are several muffler backs over the years. What muffler is on the saw now? does it have baffles? Is the saw a 460 or 440?

I don't know what muffler is on it now
It's an MS 460, about 2 years old.

toolmaker said:
I don't know what muffler is on it now
It's an MS 460, about 2 years old.

Pull the front cover and see if it is baffled or not...

The entire muffer is listed as Canada/australia only, but is available as a spare part... 1128 140 0616, about $60

If you are going to order the complete muffler, I would think that you would want to order part number 1125 149 0601 also. It's the exhaust gasket that sits right behind the muffler. I just picked one up for 1 dollar 73 cents. How that price compares, I do not know. If someone disagrees with the need, please say so.

When you go to make your carb adjustments, make sure your chain brake is disengaged. There's a reason I say that.

This is what 1128 140 0616 looks like:

118.jpg

087c.jpg

edit for grammar and image replacement

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back