MS192T Good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the same price from a dealer in Lafayette and one in Ponchatoula, so I committed to the one in Ponchatoula because he could get it to me quicker. The $509.95 is with a 14" bar. I also paid full price ($800) to this dealer for an MS-460 with a 28" bar, so I don't expect any steals, but I get good support from him so I am OK with it as long as I know the price was reasonable.

Diesel, if you get a chance to check on it for me I would appreciate it. If I'm being hung for an extra $50 bucks I would at least like to know about it.

Your price is fair. Sure a dealer can take it down to the $450 range and still make a few bucks (a few), but don't expect great service with the bottom price. We rarely sell below $500, to anyone, but offer priority service to all our pro accounts. If we miss a fews sales (we rarely do), so be it.

I talked w/ my dealer about the 192t the other day - he'd just got 2 more in - and though my sales buddy talked highly of it (and lowly of the 191 due to serviceability) the owner came up to me later and said - 'Chaser, take as long as you need to to pay for it, we don't care, but buy the 200t. You just bought one of our best mid sized saws (361) and with the 200t you'll have the best small saw made'.

But a dollar is a dollar now matter when you spend it. I was actually just curious how the 192t compared to my CS3000 (anyone?) when he recommended the 200t. My CS3000 cuts quite well w/ PM chain I just don't care for the outboard clutch and front access chain tension. (piddly things I know...)

Is the 200 too much top handle for use exclusively on the ground? I don't climb, just like the small top-handle saw for trimming, limbing, etc... And I don't want to get bit - or is that mostly from one-handing a top handle?

What's the final word on the EHP 192t?

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
I talked w/ my dealer about the 192t the other day - he'd just got 2 more in - and though my sales buddy talked highly of it (and lowly of the 191 due to serviceability) the owner came up to me later and said - 'Chaser, take as long as you need to to pay for it, we don't care, but buy the 200t. You just bought one of our best mid sized saws (361) and with the 200t you'll have the best small saw made'.

But a dollar is a dollar now matter when you spend it. I was actually just curious how the 192t compared to my CS3000 (anyone?) when he recommended the 200t. My CS3000 cuts quite well w/ PM chain I just don't care for the outboard clutch and front access chain tension. (piddly things I know...)

Is the 200 too much top handle for use exclusively on the ground? I don't climb, just like the small top-handle saw for trimming, limbing, etc... And I don't want to get bit - or is that mostly from one-handing a top handle?

What's the final word on the EHP 192t?

Chaser

According to Roger, his EHP 192T will cut with or almost with his stock, screen removed 200T, until you bury the bar, then it'll lag. At least I read that in one of his posts.

You can use any saw anywhere, but I'd consider a top handled saw a poor choice for exclusive ground work. It's just not designed for that. You could use the 200, but I think there's better saws for exclusive ground type work for the price and power available from the 200, albeit a great saw. This saw will bite you if you aren't carefull, two hands or not.

Jeff

As will the 192T I am sure. If it's for exclusive use on teh ground why not go cheaper adn buy an MS210 or MS250? Great saws too and 1/2 the price of teh 200T

To all those guys who say top handles are for exclusive tree work don't forget tree pruning in Horticulture. In Australia ground workers pruning citrus/almonds etc etc mostly use top handles and are probably Australia's biggest 200T customers. You can pull cut branches out the way with your free hand.

I would say it depends on how much cutting you plan on doing. Occasional work with it, it is a good saw. daily climbing and/or limbing, I would splurge for the 200.

The numbers don't lie fellas, the 200 offers .4 hp over the 192. But that comes at a 1.1 lb (.5 kg) sacrifice. One advantage of the 200, is the option of a 16" bar. The 338xpt offers a .2 hp gain over the 200T, with no weight gain. The difference in performance comes from the RPM.
The 338xpt limps along at about 9600 rpm, while the 192T and 200T scream at 13 500 - 14 000 rpm. More rpm = faster material removal.
Keep in mind, these saws are designed as precision tools. They are not intended for use as a work horse. I spend a lot of time off the ground. If I am working in a tree with limbs larger that 10", I will use a bigger saw.
I use a MS 192 T with a 12" bar. It is perfect in every way. Light enough to drag around for 8 hrs, and has sufficient power. Lets face it, dollars matter. I find it difficult to justify spending an additional $300 on a saw where the only gain is a tiny half a horse. There is a lot of gear snobs who think if you spend more the product HAS to be better. Me, I will have a 192, and take the missus out for a nice dinner with the money I saved.

Thought some of the old timers where back, until I seen thread was started
5 years ago.

I have MS200T and MS200 but Have been thinking about a rear handle MS192.

TT

... I find it difficult to justify spending an additional $300 on a saw where the only gain is a tiny half a horse...

There's a lot more to it than that, the gain in performance is huge not tiny, and it's not the ONLY gain at all... The best thing about the 192T is it's feather-like weight, but nothing else! BTW the clutch unit, spur sprocket, bar, chain adjuster and starter assembly are interchangeable between both saws but that's about it, although I've swapped a 192T clutch-side casing to a 200T with a bit of filing and re-shaping of the plastic, does manage to clip on nicely then

ppg
You're right, you also gain an extra pound. Say you pull your saw up 6' from the end of your lanyard oh... 500 times in a day. That's 550 lbs, and 3000 feet! I opt for the lighter of the 2, minus the aches and pains.

Last edited:
I liked the 192T for light agile sort of stuff that's easier on the wrists and arms for sure, but my modded husky 335's are the same weight with practically double the performance :cool:

ms192t

I have many many 200t's and 3 or 4 192's. Have to admit when I first got the 192 I was disappointed because of the power loss from the 200t but after using it for years I have to admit that when I'm in the bucket starting the job with all the small stuff the light saw is a pleasure to use and as long as you have a sharp chain you will not be dissapointed. Once we get into the larger stuff then I switch to the 200t. Same goes for the ground stuff... if its small you have no reason NOT to use the lighter saw, fatigue is less and why would you use a 500-600 dollar saw (wear it) when you can get the same job done with a 300 saw. Go with the 192 and you will like it. Now if you are only going to buy one saw then diffinitely go with the 200t as their are no substitutes.

If This Thread Isn't Dead......

Anyone tell me how much a ms192T in pretty good shape is worth now ?
Got a guy round here trying to sell one with a 16 inch bar and new chain.
I'm not a Top Handle user, so I"m not sure what they're worth.

Thanks........Hopefully ????

For me the 192T works just fine, and I have a 12" bar on it as I only cut limbs with it. The narrow chain is one of the things that makes it cut pretty fast for being small - the curf is narrow and works fine on small diameter wood. I am not a climber and just cut firewood, and the 192T works perfect for clearing the limbs off the trees and cutting brush off the farm. When the wood diameter gets to be over 4"-6" consistently I pick up the MS260, and when it gets over 8"-10" I get the MS460. After I drop a tree I clear out the limbs and branches that will be placed on the brush pile with the 192T......then start using the larger saws to cut up the firewood. I have an OWB and the smaller wood is just not worth cutting up, stacking or storing. The larger wood burns longers and makes fewer coals to rake.

I have often lusted for a MS200T after everyone talks so highly about it - but when I pick one up at the dealer the extra weight is almost as noticeable as the $ 659 price tag hanging from it. The 192T works just fine for my needs.

For me the 192T works just fine, and I have a 12" bar on it as I only cut limbs with it. The narrow chain is one of the things that makes it cut pretty fast for being small - the curf is narrow and works fine on small diameter wood. I am not a climber and just cut firewood, and the 192T works perfect for clearing the limbs off the trees and cutting brush off the farm. When the wood diameter gets to be over 4"-6" consistently I pick up the MS260, and when it gets over 8"-10" I get the MS460. After I drop a tree I clear out the limbs and branches that will be placed on the brush pile with the 192T......then start using the larger saws to cut up the firewood. I have an OWB and the smaller wood is just not worth cutting up, stacking or storing. The larger wood burns longers and makes fewer coals to rake.

I have often lusted for a MS200T after everyone talks so highly about it - but when I pick one up at the dealer the extra weight is almost as noticeable as the $ 659 price tag hanging from it. The 192T works just fine for my needs.

Me too I have a 1992 T and use it 80 percent of the time Would like a 200 but do not want to spend the extra $300. I only use my MS310 when i get into the big stuff

Latest posts

Back