MS261 VS MS261 C-M Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the 261 simply isn't built like a 50cc saw should be! :msp_sneaky:

That is why the model never has interested me!

How many tanks of gas have you put thru one?
I respect most of your opinions but sometimes you just need to get past the paper cuts of the reading material about a product and start getting callous on your hands from using it before you render a verdict.

Yes, the 261 simply isn't built like a 50cc saw should be! :msp_sneaky:

That is why the model never has interested me!

I was wondering when you would show up my friend.

This little saw is punching a few weight classes above it's displacement range anyway. I'd say there are loads of guys that will be very happy to own one.

The 550XP is the best in class for a limbing saw IMHO, but when the wood gets larger it's gotta go back to the truck, this little monster will still be knocking off blocks with authority well into 20" wood.

I do love how stihls are built. I would be willing to bet that if u weighed them with bar and chain that the 261c would be close to the euro 560 with small mount bar of the same.weight. actually the 550 is slightly lighter and handles a little better than a 346 in my hands.If u want to cut firewood with one saw a ported 261c would be hard to beat. For limbing the 550 is lighter for sure. For 2 saws it would be hard to beat a 550 for limbing and the old school 372 ported. I just want an old school (non x torque) 372 auto tune saw and I would not change my mind so much about saws.:D

Last edited:
If I were limited to one saw to do all my firewood I wouldn't complain about the 261. I'm not to drink the kool aid but I like my Husqvarna stuff. But I've never been too good to give the better equipment for the job a cold shoulder. If you're a professional and speed is a factor then this conversation changes. Most of us cut firewood and any 50cc saw would get us by, but some get you by a little faster.

I respect most of your opinions but sometimes you just need to get past the paper cuts of the reading material about a product and start getting callous on your hands from using it before you render a verdict.

Man, I wish I didn't have to see his posts, brings nothing to the forum but static..... :chatter:

I don't need to do that to determine that it doesn't handle as a 50cc saw should. This has nothing to do with "paper specs".;)

Anyway, my intension wasn't to derail the thread, so I will not comment further on this matter here. :D

Man, I wish I didn't have to see his posts, brings nothing to the forum but static..... :chatter:

Sawtroll has forgotten more about saws than many of us will ever know about them in the first place, his only flaw is blind brand loyalty...I'm pretty sure if he was bleeding to death and found out that the needle to stitch him up was made by Stihl, he would refuse treatment. Perhaps a bad example seeing Husky is in the sewing business.
I for one enjoy his posts and agree with him 67.54 percent of the time.

Might not reverse but constantly derails the train..... :biggrin:

Just adding a little Norwegian flavor to it... :laugh::laugh:

261's are OK...
What Randy was able to do with this one is real good...
Now GTG racing can be a little closer...
Same results maybe...
But at least a tick closer...
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't need to do that to determine that it doesn't handle as a 50cc saw should. This has nothing to do with "paper specs".;)

Anyway, my intension wasn't to derail the thread, so I will not comment further on this matter here. :D

Put him on your ignore list, I'm sure he won't mind.

Yup, just figured out how to do that - now can continue with the AS forum commercial free! :msp_thumbsup:

But the system is not perfect.:hmm3grin2orange:

I was wondering when you would show up my friend.

This little saw is punching a few weight classes above it's displacement range anyway. I'd say there are loads of guys that will be very happy to own one.

The 550XP is the best in class for a limbing saw IMHO, but when the wood gets larger it's gotta go back to the truck, this little monster will still be knocking off blocks with authority well into 20" wood.

It better punch above it's weight, coz it can't complete with what's below it.

I hate to say it, but I am with Troll on this one(and this is just after telling him he was being a pain in the ass yesterday, and it also means you are right, too). The 261 handles like complete shizzola compared to about any other 50cc saw. If you're cutting cookies or logs, it's fine. But a 60 or 70cc saw will do that better unless you port the 261 to within an inch of it's life or like to run short bars and smallish wood. I used a 261 for limbing and small trees for one day and gave it back to the boss and used an ECHO instead. THAT'S how bad it is. A freakin ECHO, folks. Yes, it has power. But do I want to use it all day long for work? No way. Not when virtually every other 50cc saw handles so much better.

A 50cc saw is for limbing and small trees. The 261 still can't do 'real' trees. It can't do limbing. So, from a professional point of view, it does neither well. It's not a limbing saw, and it's not a ground saw. So why bother? Get a proper limbing saw and a proper ground saw, and don't waste time with a 261 is sort of what I hear in Eruope. If I said to them "Yeah, but, uh...you only have to maybe spend another $300+ in porting and shipping and it can then be used as a ground saw" - they would laugh so hard their beer would spray out their noses like geysers. Then they'd go back to work with their 550's and 560's.

The 261 is a competent saw. It's not a great saw. The 550 and the 346 hit the mark, and that is why they are the standard, and STIHL isn't when it comes to 50cc saws.

Wow... Lookin good Randy! That thing is strong but I don't believe I'll get rid of my 346XP yet. You are going to be swamped after everyone watches that last video.

You do awesome work and stand behind it. That's why you're swamped. :msp_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back