MS361 + Foot = Ouch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope the recovery goes well for you.

It isn't a matter of IF, it is a matter of WHEN. And then how bad.
"Neither luck nor looks will last forever." Just glad your run of luck didn't change your looks.

My biggest fear while running a saw is the chain snapping as it comes around the top of the bar and flailing me on an undercut.

Thanks for sharing . helps keep the rest of us mindful that it only takes an instant to go very wrong.

Sorry to here about your accident. I've done the same thing a million times with my foot holding a small log, etc. I get a little nervous doing that, let me tell ya. Long term injuries suck, but no pain I guess is better than no toe! One good thing about this accident: You injured yourself with the best damn saw out there!!!:dizzy:

Sorry to here about your accident. I've done the same thing a million times with my foot holding a small log, etc. I get a little nervous doing that, let me tell ya. Long term injuries suck, but no pain I guess is better than no toe! One good thing about this accident: You injured yourself with the best damn saw out there!!!:dizzy:

If he would have been using a real MS 361 the saw would have healed the cut as the chain went through the skin........:ices_rofl:

I feel your pain,,,,, hope you heal quick!

Ouch! Hope things heal up good for ya. Cut the end of my left index finger off with a hedge trimmer, Doc sewed it back on and have had no trouble with it. Just remember when the woman down the street walks by in shorts, shut the machine off before looking! :jawdrop:

Hope U heal up fast

My biggest fear while running a saw is the chain snapping as it comes around the top of the bar and flailing me on an undercut.
:agree2:
helps keep the rest of us mindful that it only takes an instant to go very wrong.
Noticed a little nick & shine on the toe of a new pair of boots after clearing some tops in a yard. Glad I was wearing steal toes. Lacing them up every day after reminded me to, watch where I posited myself and be safe.

i did the same thing many years ago, like 6, i was still in my teens. i lucked out and caught the last little hair of the steel toe or i would have been on my way to the ER too! my mistake was that i hadnt filed the saw myself, somone else had, and the rakers were WAY TO LOW! feet and firewood dont mix. still a habit i fight with.

good luck healing and hopefully you wont pull that stunt again.

Ouch. Bad luck. I'm one of those lucky guys that doesn't have any feeling in my feet so I could literally cut all of my toes off and I wouldn't know it until I slipped on the mess. Fortunately, I took the Mrs. with me the other day and she got a look firsthand at how dangerous this work is. She ordered me a set of the 2" Labonville kevlar boots last week.

It's not just a matter of having the PPE, you have to use it as well. I made a rule, won't start a saw without chaps on, PERIOD!. No cutting without the helmet system and Amick's kevlar gloves. Now I'll add wearing those boots to the list of mandatory rules for cutting.

I actually nicked myself in the leg a few years ago. Just enough to cut through the Levi's and cut a small channel in my leg, just under the knee. Scared the living :censored: outta me. I didn't even know about all of the PPE available for cutting until I came to these forums. Now I'm setup pretty darn well.

Heal well. Watch where you put your feet.

As a tough guy and young know it all it has been my opinion that only sissy's wear chaps. Got a set on order now, and I'll be sure to wear the steel toes in the future. Some people need a little more "explaining" before they get the idea.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Cliff

Get the full wrap chaps

Helmet w/face shield and nice comfortable cutting gloves, too.

Most kick backs are towards the head. Broken chain can whip back at you depending what your cutting when it lets go and where on the chain it fails

Where is the full body suite...jking:)

Thank You

Thanks for sharing your story...hope you're healing quickly....let this be a lesson to all not to be complacent while that saw is running....always keep all body parts out of the plane of the bar.

Hope it heals well, you were lucky this time.

So where are the reviews on chainsaw-guard boots?

So this brings up the question. I did a cursory search on AS but can't find any real opinions/performance reviews of the various brands of chainsaw safetry boots.

I've only found three manufacturers who have any claims of chainsaw safety -

Labonville,

Matterhorn,

SwedePro.

Are there others?

They are all pretty damn expensive and I'd like to try a pair on before I drop $170 - $320 on some PPE.

Don't get me wrong, I feel completely uncomfortable without that kind of protection and I'm going to get it.

I feel the same when I'm on my motorcycle without a helmet. Ever have a truck kick up a rock that hit your helmet so hard that you got dizzy? I have... got a new helmet after that too.

That sucks man. Hope you heal fast and well. There's a whole lot of us on this site that have probably almost done the same thing including me. Good luck man.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

I hate that this happened to you but I'm glad that it wasn't a life threatening injury. It could have been a lot worse but it's plenty bad enough as it is.

I hate to cut small limbs on the ground that I have to hold with my foot.

I hope that everything heals up ok and you can get back to cutting soon.

Latest posts

Back