MS361 + Foot = Ouch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more reason why there is no "free" firewood. The bean counters at the hospital caught up with me. Looks like that piece of steel in my foot is worth about $15,000. Wonder if I can trade it in for a new truck..? Perhaps would have been cheaper to cut it all the way off.?:monkey: I got insurance, but they're still in my pocket for a bit. PPE and a wee bit of carefull is a lot cheaper...:dizzy::)

Q nothing jagged to it. Kind of proud in that I had just sharpened that chain myself by hand. Q

Only a real saw addict would find the bright side that way......

Scary to think of what might have been after close calls, had one last week, still sobering and humbling.

hope you heal up qwick. I was cutting with a guy one day and he was wearing tennis shoes. he gives me a hard time about my PPE's. I should have him read your post i think he'd be out buying PPE's.

I hobbled out to the pile today and grabbed the log that did me in. Gonna cut the piece from it, put it in my remaining boot and nail it above the door to the shop as a reminder to gear up before cutting....:)

:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Karma and Murphy are scheming with that one, maybe nail it to the wall next to the door, shoulder level. :cheers:

I've been using the Viking chainsaw boots (available from Baileys or several other places) for a few months. The have a steel toe, a steel shank, and ballistic nylon for chainsaw protection.

I ordered them one size too big because I was afraid they would be cold in the winter, and I wanted to be able to wear a second pair of heavy socks to keep my feet warm.

Perhaps it is because they are one size too big, but the Vikings are not comfortable. They rub and make my feet sore in a couple of spots.

But ...... I wear them anyway. After chainsawing my knee last year, now I am Joe Safety, decked out in full wrap chaps and chainsaw boots. PPE is cheap compared to a $15,000 ER bill, and temporary discomfort beats being crippled for the rest of your life.

If money is no object, Labonville sells a leather chainsaw boot with kevlar liner. Most custom logging boot makers can also set you up with a kevlar lined boot.

Alternatively, wear the inexpensive Labonville kevlar liners inside your favorite footwear, providing the boot is roomy enough for the liners (they recommend one size larger than normal).

Back