MS361 + Foot = Ouch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After 20 years of sawing, I finally managed to injury myself. I ad been cutting a logpile in my yard for most of the day. Been working this pile for six months as it was several truck loads worth. Down to the last couple of logs. There was a stub branch on the log I was working so I rotated the saw to cut parallel to the log and remove the stub. Throttled it up and started the cut. The log being smaller started to move so I place my left foot on the log and continued the cut from the right. Towards the end of the cut the tip of the bar contacted the log beneath and kicked toward my foot. <br>
I never really felt it, but once I saw the cut boot, and blood I knew this was not going to buff out. To the ER we go. 3/8 full chisel took a slice out just behind my big toe and put a curf 3/4 through the bone on top of my foot that is connected to that toe. Ended up with a bone graph, steel bar to hold it all together, and a good bit of stitching. The nerve to the outside of the big toe is gone, no more feeling there. The tendon is gone, so no more flexing of the toe (didn't use that one much anyways right.?) So long as it doesn't get infected I'll be good to go. If it gets infected or the bone graph doesn't take, they'll remove the toe<br>
Todays lesson. Pay attention to what your are doing and stay out of the way of the saw. Use proper PPE. I was wearing leather boots, but they wear lighter leather roper style. Had I been wearing my Redwing Loggers with steel toes, this probably would not have happened. Probably out of service for a week or so, but I look forward to getting back to my wood pile. Be safe guys.

:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Last edited:
I can't begin to tell you how many times I have thought I was at risk of doing that very same thing, but I was being watched over, but that won't last. I feel for you, hope you heal up soon and thanks for sharing, thats not easy to admit!:(

:givebeer: :spam:

Ouch! I am wincing for you! I just got a used pair of steel toe boots and am looking into the Kevlar liners that one of the message board sponsors sells.

Heal well!

Shari

Last edited:
No steel toe? Good Luck With the recovery:greenchainsaw:

Steel toe's wouldn't have done any good since the cut is behind the big toe on the foot.
I can't wear steel toe's because my toe's are so beat up, and crooked. I just have to be carefull, and hope for the best.

Andy

Steel toe's wouldn't have done any good since the cut is behind the big toe on the foot.
I can't wear steel toe's because my toe's are so beat up, and crooked. I just have to be carefull, and hope for the best.

Andy

Well depends were the cut started, if it was at the toe towards the foot it prolly would have stopped it

not to make lite of his situation but he has part of a steel toe now kunes.

I mentioned when the Doc said there is no more feeling in the toe, "next time it won't hurt a bit?" :)

Even without the steel toe, I think the heavier leather of the Redwing Loggers would have done a bit more for me.

Last edited:
Almost the same set up for me MNGuns. Except I had steel toe redwings on an it went across the center of the toe cap left to right. Ruined my boots, save at least my big toe for sure. Only takes a nano second. Dang it, hope you heal up quick and get back on the horse.

Ouch!

Yep, the heavier boots would have helped.
I have been guilty of cutting in tennis shoes!!! :eek: If I am going to be at it all day, I do put the boots on....

heal fast dude.
We all learned a lesson on this one.

What No Pics???? I hope you recover quickly. I know how fun something like that is. I cut off my right thumb 3 yrs ago with a circular saw, ( it was re attached ) be sure and keep that joker clean and dry !!

My one and only cut (other than while sharpening and handling saws) was much similar. Steel toes also would not have helped. Went through my boot just at the base of the little toe. Just a scratch on the toe though. The boots went in the trash as that cut was just the 'straw that broke the camels back' Near as I could figure those boots were ...unm...1986 to 2007...yep, pretty old and many a mile on them.

Harry K

What No Pics???? I hope you recover quickly. I know how fun something like that is. I cut off my right thumb 3 yrs ago with a circular saw, ( it was re attached ) be sure and keep that joker clean and dry !!

I've got some pics, but this is too nice a site to junk up with my chewed up clutch pusher...:) I do wish I had digitals of the Xrays to share, as you can see a perfect clean saw kerf right in the bone. Nothing jagged to it. Kind of proud in that I had just sharpened that chain myself by hand.:clap:

I've got some pics, but this is too nice a site to junk up with my chewed up clutch pusher...:) I do wish I had digitals of the Xrays to share, as you can see a perfect clean saw kerf right in the bone. Nothing jagged to it. Kind of proud in that I had just sharpened that chain myself by hand.:clap:

Trust me, the cut would have been alot worse if you had a dull chain on your saw..

Latest posts

Back