Ms390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I keep looking I have found a decent looking 044 I may look into. guy wants 400 for it? sound about fair?

I'd definitely look into that 044!!! Even though it's not produced anymore, it is one of Stihl's best saws.

Kevin

359's are trash. least the one i had was anyways. Just another homeowner grade saw to break down. bought a 361 and have ran it hard. only regret is should have went with the 460...

i believe that the 359's were in the pro line up a not many years ago.

i don't think anyone has substantiated the claim that a pro saw is more durable than the mid-range saws such as the 290 series or the 359. easier to repair and mod; yes. but there are many 290 series that a beat on day after day by tree services and utility crews and just keep running.

359 is every bit a pro saw without the decal. To make a 359 into the "pro" 357xp, you'll need: 1 Set of crankshaft weights, one SMALLER bore top end, and one XP sticker for the top cover.

359's are trash. least the one i had was anyways. Just another homeowner grade saw to break down. bought a 361 and have ran it hard. only regret is should have went with the 460...
How do you figure? Are you calling the 357XP trash as well?

359 is every bit a pro saw without the decal. To make a 359 into the "pro" 357xp, you'll need: 1 Set of crankshaft weights, one SMALLER bore top end, and one XP sticker for the top cover.

The 390 is a decent saw, especially once muffler modded. I've bucked alot of big trees with mine.

If you're at all serious about cutting, seriously consider something in the 70cc range. I don't think you'll be dissapointed by a stihl 44, husky 372xp or any similar class saw.

Thanks, Tim.

OP, i don't think you would see a big difference bw the 290 and a 359. a step up to the 357 would be more significant, but those saws are $700+. a 361 is cheaper and probably a slightly better alternative.
the recommedations for a 70cc saw are good. the 372 from the trading post or a used 440 would be nice. if you really want a smile, step up to a Dolmar 7900. home depot uses the 64cc version of this saw in their rental department. they sell them periodically for ~$200. a 79cc cylinder is less than $200. it is a VERY simple bolt-on that will turn this saw into a smile-inducing screamer. quite a few of us have done this change. i have 2 which have been converted as well as one that is factory original, and there is no difference in perfomance or reliability. it is a little over a pound heavier than a 361, a few ounces heavier than a 357/359, about the same as a 390 and about 2hp stronger than any of them.

How do you figure? Are you calling the 357XP trash as well?

Im calling the 359 i had a giant peice of crap, yes. Bought new in 2004 or so and only used it a year or two. Didnt know what i was missing out on till i stepped up to a real saw. Even when it was running "right" there is no way it could keep up with my 361 or dads 19 year old sachs dolmar 116. actually dads saw will spank my 361 too, that thing is a beast.

Anyways husquvarna will never receive another dollar out of my pocket. I have to use my saw every day and i have to know that it will start. My stihl has been through heck and it has never even hiccuped on me. Stihl will keep my business

what specifically did you have problems with from you husky?

It needs the carburator adjusted in a bad way. I need to get it fixed to have it for my "pinch" saw. Ya never know if it will start or not, kind of a crap shot. Unless you REALLY need it, then you can gurantee that it will not start.

It was my first saw, so i thought it was awesome for the first little bit i used it. but the quality was terrible looking back now. within a few months the fuel line deteriorated. then the throttle linkage got jacked up somehow (been a few years, took it to the dealer) but i've worked and worked on it and can never get it running right. i even took it to the dealer and had them adjust it to no avail. Wish i could get it running, i would sell it to one of you husky fans and go buy me a 460

Im calling the 359 i had a giant peice of crap, yes. Bought new in 2004 or so and only used it a year or two. Didnt know what i was missing out on till i stepped up to a real saw. Even when it was running "right" there is no way it could keep up with my 361 or dads 19 year old sachs dolmar 116. actually dads saw will spank my 361 too, that thing is a beast.

Anyways husquvarna will never receive another dollar out of my pocket. I have to use my saw every day and i have to know that it will start. My stihl has been through heck and it has never even hiccuped on me. Stihl will keep my business

You're venting about a single bum saw you had without stating any solid evidence. So you had a dud 359. The fact of the matter is that it's the same saw as a 357, minus the P&C and crank stuffer. And a 357 will run right with a 361. The 359 is not a crap saw, reguardless of your experience with them. Post like yours simply spread misinformation about an otherwise good saw.

Did your 359 have a cat muffler?

Yea my 455 rancher never did run up to my expectations. It always from the first cut seemed to bog itself down in the middle of a cut. I had the dealer look at it, tune it up for free, two times and still no better. The thing would be good some days, some a half a day, some it was a real POS! not running past half throttle. I got sick of it and they gave my money back.

It needs the carburator adjusted in a bad way. I need to get it fixed to have it for my "pinch" saw. Ya never know if it will start or not, kind of a crap shot. Unless you REALLY need it, then you can gurantee that it will not start.

It was my first saw, so i thought it was awesome for the first little bit i used it. but the quality was terrible looking back now. within a few months the fuel line deteriorated. then the throttle linkage got jacked up somehow (been a few years, took it to the dealer) but i've worked and worked on it and can never get it running right. i even took it to the dealer and had them adjust it to no avail. Wish i could get it running, i would sell it to one of you husky fans and go buy me a 460

send it to me, i will give $100 an pay shipping, sight unseen, as long as the piston/cylinder are not scored. seriously!!!

You're venting about a single bum saw you had without stating any solid evidence. So you had a dud 359. The fact of the matter is that it's the same saw as a 357, minus the P&C and crank stuffer. And a 357 will run right with a 361. The 359 is not a crap saw, reguardless of your experience with them. Post like yours simply spread misinformation about an otherwise good saw.

Did your 359 have a cat muffler?

I clearly state in all my posts that MY 359 is a piece of crap. Just because i said i wont buy another husky doesn't mean you have to jump down my throat. I dont like it, my 361 will cut circles around it. Id rather have a stihl. thats my opinion. apparently you enjoy your husquvarnas, you dont hear me chewing you out for it....

I clearly state in all my posts that MY 359 is a piece of crap. Just because i said i wont buy another husky doesn't mean you have to jump down my throat. I dont like it, my 361 will cut circles around it. Id rather have a stihl. thats my opinion. apparently you enjoy your husquvarnas, you dont hear me chewing you out for it....

i will take it off of your hands.....PM if you are interested.

i will take it off of your hands.....PM if you are interested.

lol not for a hundred bucks. Ill try to tweak it a little more and use it for a pinch saw before i letter go that cheap. If i had the 900 bucks for a 460 id give you the husky.

Big Toys for Big Boys?

I am definitely wanting to spend less than 600 bucks. AND I am pretty certain I want another stihl

I myself , was in the same boat you are. I asked "THE GUYS", for advice. I demmoed A 390 and a 361. Dont let the CC numbers fool you . Look at the HP and quality. Making a few quick cuts with each saw, it was hard to notice a big difference in power. What I did notice quickly, was the lack of vibration on the 361. If you are going to saw much, it explains itself. Money is tight, but a pro saw is an investment for life. Not just value, but quality of life! If you are going to have many saws, get a "BIG ONE", if you are only going to have a few, get a good mid-sized and enjoy life. Sorry for the long post,Just Sayin. VT. Woodchuck:chainsaw::clap:

Latest posts

Back