MS441 or 385xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSurfer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my buddy has both these saws to sell me and i have to pick which one i want. i wanna know if you think the 385 has easier service then the 441 or vice versa?

Saw

Goe with the Husky it aint a enviro saw. The husky has more response to mods then the Stihl.

my buddy has both these saws to sell me and i have to pick which one i want. i wanna know if you think the 385 has easier service then the 441 or vice versa?

Which one do you like?

It's not the end of the world if you choose one or the other :laugh:

Pick the one you think feels the best in your hands and if you can run them both for a tank to two together that will really help your decision. The husky will be a little heavier and more power. The 441 is a good saw and even if it's strato it has good power and response. They do respond to mods well and will use less fuel so you can cut more on each tank. If you plan on a 32" bar for either I think you would be better off with the 385.

Goe with the Husky it aint a enviro saw. The husky has more response to mods then the Stihl.

LOL, wow, is that a load of ignorance and bliss in just a couple of sentences. It isn't uncommon to get 35+% or more gains out of the 441 with proper modds and fuel mileage to boot. Not knocking the 385, but don't try that 4 year old line of crap about strato's are unresponsive, there are several here, that can prove that to be quite wrong. I for one will not likely ever purchase a new saw that isn't a strato, due to the amazing effeciency that, that design has over the conventional engine designs. A strato in modded or unmodded form can likely pay for itself just by using less fuel, and Stihl's design of stratos is/are a proven runners and dependable.

Sam

It all comes down to what you are cutting.

If I was hooking into Casuarina's (I think you call them Ironwood there) and Eucs that were over 2' in diameter I'd grab the 385.

Smaller and softer species the newer 441 would be nice.

in hawaii we have lot of hard woods. its a verry tropical place so youd think soft woods but for the most part its verry hard stuff like casaurina and mesquite(keawe) eucalyptus and cedars.

Those enviro saws are not strong enough for really tough hard dense woods.. Stratos like the 441 are not much for power with a 28" bar buriied in hard woods.. I said the enviro saws are no good based on what your cutting, Enviro saws are fine for soft woods and short bars. The local saw I deal with only carrys the MS 362 stratos for the pro thinning crews. MS 460's out sell the 441 in my area. The other reason to go Husky is it is 10 cc's bigger, there is a reason for 80 cc saws:bowdown:

Those enviro saws are not strong enough for really tough hard dense woods.. Stratos like the 441 are not much for power with a 28" bar buriied in hard woods.. I said the enviro saws are no good based on what your cutting, Enviro saws are fine for soft woods and short bars. The local saw I deal with only carrys the MS 362 stratos for the pro thinning crews. MS 460's out sell the 441 in my area. The other reason to go Husky is it is 10 cc's bigger, there is a reason for 80 cc saws:bowdown:

No 70cc saw is going to really rip with a 28in. bar buried in hardwoods. I'm talkin stockers here. It is a cc issue not anything at all to do with "enviro" issues. There are no losers in the 70cc and up pro saws. As far as the OP is concerned he is looking at two totally different saws as far as power is concerned. For 20in.-ish hard wood I like a 70cc saw. On the larger side a 80-90cc saw is where it is at IMO.

I agree with what said above, either choice would be good, and try em, and feel them like stated. If it were me I would get the 385 that is just because I am not a fan of the 441. They are great saw's and have a good following just not for me. I love the 044-440 I have a 044, but if I were choosing ,buying my 044 and a 385. I would still get the 385 for the slight extra weight there is a big gain in power.

Now that sounds like something Rick Perry would say :monkey:

Last edited:
#### environmentally friendly saws. that makes so sense if your cutting a tree down to have a saw thats "green" :laugh:
im favoring the 385xp. allways been a husqy fan anyways and i like the zip zip sound they have :D

#### environmentally friendly saws. that makes so sense if your cutting a tree down to have a saw thats "green" :laugh:
im favoring the 385xp. allways been a husqy fan anyways and i like the zip zip sound they have :D

Thats fine as Husky is Husky. But......you may well be surprised when you run the 441. .....and thats my point. Run both saws. Have fun and decide. Either way you cant loose.

I see you didn't ask which is stronger or takes best to mods. The 385 is definately easier to service. However, what HBR has to say is a lot of misinformation, simply not true. I'd love to see a 441 C-M up against a stock 460. Hey, Andre, did you capture my Dad's 046 in the same log as the 441?

Latest posts

Back