Muffler Mod-ms310 And Ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi,my brother has a three month old MS361 pro model stihl and I have a three month old MS310.We were wanting to know if it is possible to get the mufflers ported and if the carbs would be able to be adjusted with the limited adjustments on the carbs?We both cut about four cords of red oak a year.We are both running 16 inch bars for now.:popcorn: :givebeer: .

Hi,my brother has a three month old MS361 pro model stihl and I have a three month old MS310.We were wanting to know if it is possible to get the mufflers ported and if the carbs would be able to be adjusted with the limited adjustments on the carbs?We both cut about four cords of red oak a year.We are both running 16 inch bars for now.:popcorn: :givebeer: .

I would wait till the warranty runs out - you may void it with the mod. How big is the oak, how many tooth sprocket are you running? I don't cut as much as I used to but after about 10 tanks, my 361 really opened up and I like it as is. Normally run a 20" but but it loves the 16". I run the stock 7 tooth sprocket for both but with a 16", you could go to an 8 tooth for more chain speed. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm waiting on a muffler mod on my MS310 until its fully broke in. From reading on this site, you'll have to remove the limiter caps and reinstall after adjustment. Other than that it is how inventive you want to be with putting new holes in your muffler.

Have both of you run each others saws for a comparison? I got the 310 because I didn't figure the 361 was worth the extra $200. I cut about 4-6 cords of hardwood per year and have been impressed with the 310. Would you say the 361 is worth the extra?

Muffler Mod- Ms361 And Ms310

I'm waiting on a muffler mod on my MS310 until its fully broke in. From reading on this site, you'll have to remove the limiter caps and reinstall after adjustment. Other than that it is how inventive you want to be with putting new holes in your muffler.

Have both of you run each others saws for a comparison? I got the 310 because I didn't figure the 361 was worth the extra $200. I cut about 4-6 cords of hardwood per year and have been impressed with the 310. Would you say the 361 is worth the extra?

My brothers 361 is under warranty mine the 310 I just got off EBAY A week ago it was used three months. They:dizzy: say that this mod will make it run cooler, last longer and you get more power for $40.00 to $80.00 bucks,we would be sending them out for the mods. We are cutting eight to twentyfour inch trees and both saws are stock. It sounds like something everyone shoud do to there saws.I am no expert but if it works that way with porting A muffler than:clap: .

Muffler Mod-ms361 And Ms 310

My brothers 361 is under warranty mine the 310 I just got off EBAY A week ago it was used three months. They:dizzy: say that this mod will make it run cooler, last longer and you get more power for $40.00 to $80.00 bucks,we would be sending them out for the mods. We are cutting eight to twentyfour inch trees and both saws are stock. It sounds like something everyone shoud do to there saws.I am no expert but if it works that way with porting A muffler than:clap: .

Iam not too good at this stuff and Iwanted to put my other two saws on the bottomof the page but do not know how to_One is a 1979 husky 44 rancher that runs very good with a 16 inch bar the other is a 1984 husky 266SE I just got done replacing every part just about on it.It has a 16 husky pro bar on it now plus I have a new 24 inch power match and new chain for the big ones and a solid 16 inch for running the old chains on and cutting in bad stuff.Itook the 266 in last week to the local dealer for a check and they told me it has 180 compression:jawdrop: .

You will notice a great increase in power on almost any saw with the muffler mods. All of my saws have at least the muffler mod. On the 361 i would wait till the warrenty runs out like previously said. But on you 310 have at it bro ha ha. You wont be dissapointed i promise

Muffler Mod-ms361 And Ms310

You will notice a great increase in power on almost any saw with the muffler mods. All of my saws have at least the muffler mod. On the 361 i would wait till the warrenty runs out like previously said. But on you 310 have at it bro ha ha. You wont be dissapointed i promise

I was wondering if the 180 compression on my 266 SE (1984 model) is unusual for that year saw and if that high of compression is good for like the other parts inside the saw? It runs and idles perfect and cuts wood like a hemi with a bad attitude:chainsaw:

I was wondering if the 180 compression on my 266 SE (1984 model) is unusual for that year saw and if that high of compression is good for like the other parts inside the saw? It runs and idles perfect and cuts wood like a hemi with a bad attitude:chainsaw:

Not too sure bout that but if it runs and cuts good id let it be

where have i been? i've been using stock saws for years and never heard of moding the muffler as a common practice until now. do you guys mod all of your saws? also, does it make them insanely loud?

kevin

every one of mine are modded. only a few of them are insane loud. believe it or not my 044 is quieter than my 028 and my husky. the husky is the loudest of them all. i dunno why but it cuts like all get out so its ok with me. and i use my ear protection so ya know

Hey woodyman. If you wanna pack up and send your muffler i can mod it for you. you will have to adjust the carb after the mod

Hey woodyman. If you wanna pack up and send your muffler i can mod it for you. you will have to adjust the carb after the mod

Hey gremlin, That sounds good to me. How do you do them? I realy like the two pipe look with the center blocked off. Is there a charge and how do I get your mailing address? Thanks,woodyman.

361 mod

This is the mod that I did to my buddy's 361. He asked me if I could work it over to pull the 24" bar that he has on it better. 24" is too much for a 361.....18" is more like it. But I did a test, stock vs modded........modded won hands down. Sounded a whole heck of alot better too..........:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

where have i been? i've been using stock saws for years and never heard of moding the muffler as a common practice until now. do you guys mod all of your saws? also, does it make them insanely loud?

kevin

The muffler mod thing is for kids. It will wake up a saw, but at a pretty high price.
For one, you will lose gas mileage. If you're like me, you hate filling up the saw. Once modded, you'll be filling up often. If you used to cut up two big logs on one tank, now you'll only do 1.5.
If you're a climber, your topping saw will run out before you are done with the tree. Is it faster if you have to lower the saw to have it refilled?

Second, where does the extra gas go? Into the environment. Unburned gas is a VOC, pollution. That's how it makes more power, by moving the charge forward, thereby spilling fuel into the exhaust.

Third, is the noise. If you study on hearing protection, you'll learn that ear plugs and muffs only reduce decibels. A stock saw and ear plugs get the noise down to a safe level. Once you open the exhaust, now you need to wear both good plugs, and good ear muffs, at the same time, to reduce the decibel output to a safe level. Who is going to do that? Very few know they have to, even fewer will do it. This means muffler mods cause hearing damage.

One of the guys said about the modded 066 the other day, "I used to be able to cut up a whole tree, now I gotta stop and fuel the saw to finish, is it any faster?"

If you want to have a fast saw, learn about chains, and cutters. There is much more to be gained there than the muffler.

The muffler mod thing is for kids. It will wake up a saw, but at a pretty high price.
For one, you will lose gas mileage. If you're like me, you hate filling up the saw. Once modded, you'll be filling up often. If you used to cut up two big logs on one tank, now you'll only do 1.5.
If you're a climber, your topping saw will run out before you are done with the tree. Is it faster if you have to lower the saw to have it refilled?

Second, where does the extra gas go? Into the environment. Unburned gas is a VOC, pollution. That's how it makes more power, by moving the charge forward, thereby spilling fuel into the exhaust.

Third, is the noise. If you study on hearing protection, you'll learn that ear plugs and muffs only reduce decibels. A stock saw and ear plugs get the noise down to a safe level. Once you open the exhaust, now you need to wear both good plugs, and good ear muffs, at the same time, to reduce the decibel output to a safe level. Who is going to do that? Very few know they have to, even fewer will do it. This means muffler mods cause hearing damage.

One of the guys said about the modded 066 the other day, "I used to be able to cut up a whole tree, now I gotta stop and fuel the saw to finish, is it any faster?"

If you want to have a fast saw, learn about chains, and cutters. There is much more to be gained there than the muffler.

I know many folks having done this mod with very minimal loss in fuel economy if any. I do agree that perhaps climbers wouldn't benefit as much due to having to refuel but everyone else still would. They cut much faster however you no longer need to squeeze at top RPM before cutting. This has always been so. Now I'm sure their are folks on both sides but either way I've seen from experience that someone skilled at using saws has no problem getting the same cutting done faster with nearly the exact amount of fuel. Exhaust mods are a no brainer, if you can deal with the sound then go for it. Plus it sounds so much cooler

Not to mention how much cooler your saw runs. Cooler = longer life

Last edited:
Im all for a muffler mod. Didnt notice much of a difference in fuel consumtion on any of my saws. maybe they do consume more fuel and i just havent noticed it. But never the less i like my saws modded. Ill pay the price for fuel. And like he said it sounds so much better:chainsaw:

I know many folks having done this mod with very minimal loss in fuel economy if any. I do agree that perhaps climbers wouldn't benefit as much due to having to refuel but everyone else still would. They cut much faster however you no longer need to squeeze at top RPM before cutting. This has always been so. Now I'm sure their are folks on both sides but either way I've seen from experience that someone skilled at using saws has no problem getting the same cutting done faster with nearly the exact amount of fuel.

No, you are dead wrong on this point.

You open the exhaust, open the jet(s), the charge moves forward, and gas is wasted out the muffler. No amount of tap dancing will change those facts.

I understand it'll use more but we're not talking massive amount of lost fuel here. Even from the 2 stroke motorcycle world a properly adjusted carb isn't going to have "a ton" of fuel spitting out the exhaust when compared to a non muffler modded one. Now if we're talking port and everything? Yeah very big difference. *shrug* maybe it's bigger difference on a 660 then on a 46 but ohh does it sound great.

Back