Muffler Mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroutBrookFarms

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is a great forum.

I've seen a lot about muffler mods, and I'm interested to know what, if any, difference it can make. I've got a new MS 290 and a 372XP that's a couple years old. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Take a look back through the previous posts, either by searching for some keyword or just readin' them all. You will find a couple good discussions on the muffler mod for the 290/310/390 series, complete with pictures. I hear that the 290 really wakes up when opened up. Also, if you're not one to drill/cut/grind/weld, or if you want to keep the stock muffler to have around to put back on if you ever need to take the saw in for warranty work, you can always just order a muffler from Walker's that has already been opened up.

Oh, and welcome to AS.

I just modded my partner P85 muffler by removing the exhaust tube,(about 1/2" diameter) and welding in a piece of 3/4 " conduit. I've only made a few cuts on my woodpile but it seems to have a lot more grunt.

TroutBrookFarms said:
This is a great forum.

I've seen a lot about muffler mods, and I'm interested to know what, if any, difference it can make...........Any suggestions?

Thanks
uhhh....yeah. Use the SEARCH function on this forum and re-read what you have apparently already read.
TroutBrookFarms said:
I've seen a lot about muffler mods
All that re-asking the same questions that have already been anwered accomplishes is something akin to the children`s game "I`ve got a secret". The correct info gets passed through so many parrots that it eventually doesn`t even resemble the truth, it more closely resembles parrot sh!t and it`s usually just about as useful. My only qualification to this statement would be the people who have read the previous threads and then modified their own mufflers in a way different than had been discussed, yet were successful anyway. Atleast these people can bring some first hand experience to the discussion.

Another suggestion. Find a remote lake up there in Maine and pitch that ms290 into it if you are really interested in performance.

Russ

Sorry to be redundant, I was looking for more of a how-to. I did some more digging and found this old post.

http://arborist.************/showthread.php?t=15986

Thanks for the serious suggestions.

And jokers, it'd be a shame to toss even a sh#*&y saw into a perfectly good, clean lake in northern Maine. If this saw doesn't work out I'll send it to you to sink into one of your lakes. But I'm sure it'll be fine, though. I won't be taking my tiny, whimpy little saw to any hot saw competitions.

jokers said:
Another suggestion. Find a remote lake up there in Maine and pitch that ms290 into it if you are really interested in performance.

All the 290 bashing is really getting tedious. Not a week goes by without someone making this kind of a suggestion - boat anchor, wheel chock, all sorts of uses are suggested for a 290. Yet, with equal frequency, people sing the praises of the 250 as an acceptable firewood saw for a guy who is starting a firewood business, or sing the praises of the 170 and 180 as homeowner saws. None of these saws are "performance" saws any more than the 290 is, yet that doesn't stop anyone from suggesting these saws when they are a proper match for someone's needs.

TroutBrookFarms said:
And jokers, it'd be a shame to toss even a sh#*&y saw into a perfectly good, clean lake in northern Maine. If this saw doesn't work out I'll send it to you to sink into one of your lakes. But I'm sure it'll be fine, though. I won't be taking my tiny, whimpy little saw to any hot saw competitions.

If it doesn't work out, I'll pay for you to ship it to me! :)

computeruser said:
All the 290 bashing is really getting tedious. Not a week goes by without someone making this kind of a suggestion - boat anchor, wheel chock, all sorts of uses are suggested for a 290. Yet, with equal frequency, people sing the praises of the 250 as an acceptable firewood saw for a guy who is starting a firewood business, or sing the praises of the 170 and 180 as homeowner saws. None of these saws are "performance" saws any more than the 290 is, yet that doesn't stop anyone from suggesting these saws when they are a proper match for someone's needs.

Have I ever suggested that the 250 is a good starter saw for someone starting a firewood business? Have I ever suggested that the ms170 or 180 were good homeowner saws for anything more than pruning an ornamental? Let me offer a resounding NO! to both questions.

The 290 is a boat anchor whether you admit it or not. It is built and marketed strictly on price primarily to those who won`t do any research beyond reading Stihl literature. I only like the 250 better because #1, it must be built better because they last longer from what I`ve seen and #2, they atleast have a reasonable weight for their performance. The 250 is still only appropriate for the guy cutting 5 or 10 cord a year and it`s hardly any slower than the 290 even in the bigger stuff, but it`s a free country, buy one if you`d like, just don`t come on here looking for the magic fix to make it a decently powerful saw.

In case you didn`t get it from my post, what makes the 250 a better saw than the 290 is that it`s cheaper, weighs less, lasts longer, and it`s nearly as "real world" powerful as the 290 judging by cut speed.

TroutBrookFarms said:
Thanks for the serious suggestions.
My suggestions are serious, just as were the others who suggested that you use the search function.

My statement regarding the "parrot filters" is almost unequivocally true, are you saying that it isn`t? If you spend some time here you`ll quickly see that there are many posters who simply take info from the posts of others then make themselves out to be experts, or atleast experienced, in subsequent posts. The problem is that info is garbled or lost in translation. Have it your way though. Generate three pages of responses to this worn out topic and then try to sort the wheat from the chaffe.
TroutBrookFarms said:
And jokers,.......If this saw doesn't work out I'll send it to you to sink into one of your lakes. But I'm sure it'll be fine, though. I won't be taking my tiny, whimpy little saw to any hot saw competitions.
There is nothing tiny about your 290 except the performance.

You`ve got two saws and you covered both ends of the spectrum from the biggest dog to one of the finest saws ever made. If you had bought the 290 first I could understand but I don`t understand having a 372 and then buying a 290 unless you want to punish someone who cuts wood with you.

There is a reason that most Stihl dealers won`t let you demo homeowner saws like the 290. The secret would be out before the sale!

Russ

dat you?

Hey Russ, is that a picture of you? I somehow expected you to look like your avitar, complete with tights and jester hat. ;)

Hey Blowdown.

That`s the most current version of me after I gained almost 60 pounds since summer 04'. Something to do with my health or my health is something to do with the weight gain. Anyway sitting behind a desk most of the time these days is catching up to me.

I call this my ms290 body. :laugh:

Russ

Now let me get this correct,an ms 290 would not be a candidate for a hotsaw?Hmm,I've been disillusioned. :p

I had a ms 290 and it was a good saw after you got over the weight of the saw. I thought it worked well always got the job done and reliable it never left me with out a saw. After we got hit with a hurricane acouple of years ago my stihl worked great while my husky 141 was sitting in the shop because it wouldnt stay running.

Geez they only weigh 13 lbs,that's light.[well,it does depend on what one calls heavy,I suppose ]

DanManofStihl said:
I had a ms 290 and it was a good saw after you got over the weight of the saw. I thought it worked well always got the job done and reliable it never left me with out a saw. After we got hit with a hurricane acouple of years ago my stihl worked great while my husky 141 was sitting in the shop because it wouldnt stay running.

To each their own DMoS but I doubt that you would buy another 029 after having a 440 or 660.

I wouldn`t own a 141 either. When I needed a saw for my 6 year old son I got him an ms180. Much nicer, lighter, and possibly better saw.

Russ

Al Smith said:
Geez they only weigh 13 lbs,that's light.[well,it does depend on what one calls heavy,I suppose ]
Atleast you get some good old fashioned torque with your old iron Al.
Al Smith said:
Now let me get this correct,an ms 290 would not be a candidate for a hotsaw?Hmm,I've been disillusioned.

:laugh: :laugh:

computeruser said:
All the 290 bashing is really getting tedious. Not a week goes by without someone making this kind of a suggestion - boat anchor, wheel chock, all sorts of uses are suggested for a 290.

Owning a 7900 that weighs roughly the same as a 290 one would think that you would join the ranks in the "029 is a boat anchor!!!"

To each his own I suppose!!!

Back