muffler Mod's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have read an awful lot her about muffler mods. Why is this done? what are the pros and cons? Does the saw get more power??

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

Hmmm.. Doens't seem like you've read much on this site then.:greenchainsaw:

Use AS Search. There's many many discussions, some good, some useless, some heated etc... biut they all answer your question..

Last edited:
ok let me ask a question as far as mods. on the DIY muffler mod thread it says to install the spark arrestor screen, but on many other posts and threads ive read that the first thing to do is to remove and toss the screen. which is it. Dean.

ok....other then the obvious being a spark arrester screen is there any other reason to keep it in...just curious to know if it serves any other purpose.

It also keeps objects from getting in.......any objects.....debris out in the field

i havent done any mods yet so i was just curious if i should put screen in or leave it out. i just figured no screen = less backpressure. i use my saws mostly for firewood and trimming around the house, some felling here and there and all saws are kept in the garage so i figured doing away with the screens wouldnt hurt in my case.

Done correctly, the screen is many times the area of the exit opening and has no effect on performace. If it's not, you do have to account for the screen obsuration.

If you want no back pressure, take off the muffer. You need a measured amount...

On a stock 361 (for example), taking out the screen will have no effect.

Last edited:
Back