My 12 Ton Electric Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chew72

Reaction score
Hello all. I've been a long time lurker here, and I've finally decided to contribute something. I've read lots of information on log splitters as well as peoples builds, and put what I learned into building mine.
The key points that I wanted were:

1: Something that didn't push the wood away from you so you had to drag it back for a 2nd split or drop the piece on the ground.
2: A comfortable height. No being bent over.
3: Log lift.
4: Electric, yet with a reasonable cycle speed and power.

It seems there are very few electric splitters in the above 5 ton range. So I'm posting this if anyone is curious as to what a 5hp electric motor can get you in the splitter department.

The splitter.
The splitter is built off an old tent trailer frame I was given. I had planed on building a 2-way splitter but after pricing material and figuring on my time to build it, I was better off just buying a 3 point, split-fire 2-way log splitter, and build the rest my self.
The motor is a 5hp, 240v, s.f. 1.15 and draws 21-23 Amps under max load, 8 Amps no load.
100' 10-gauge cord
13 gpm, 2-speed hydraulic pump.
Splitter cylinder is 3.5"
Max pressure is 2500 psi. (right now I have it set to 2300psi, it makes most splits at 650-900psi)
Max splitting force 12 ton'ish

I built the splitter with the idea of using the log lift as a table 95% of the time, and just load it with wood. Also if I have a helper they can stack the rounds there, and the splitter is fast enough I almost stay ahead of them. I also build it with the idea of some day having a firewood conveyor to the right of it. oh and I also left space at the front of the trailer to deck it over, so I can run it off a genset we have at work if I'm feeling moble.

and without further ado

Any questions or comments feel free to ask.

Hello all. I've been a long time lurker here, and I've finally decided to contribute something. I've read lots of information on log splitters as well as peoples builds, and put what I learned into building mine.

1: Something that didn't push the wood away from you so you had to drag it back for a 2nd split or drop the piece on the ground.

It seems there are very few electric splitters in the above 5 ton range. So I'm posting this if anyone is curious as to what a 5hp electric motor can get you in the splitter department.

The splitter.
The splitter is built off an old tent trailer frame I was given. I had planed on building a 2-way splitter but after pricing material and figuring on my time to build it, I was better off just buying a 3 point, split-fire 2-way log splitter, and build the rest my self.
The motor is a 5hp, 240v, s.f. 1.15 and draws 21-23 Amps under max load, 8 Amps no load.
100' 10-gauge cord
Max pressure is 2500 psi. (right now I have it set to 2300psi, it makes most splits at 650-900psi)

I built the splitter with the idea of using the log lift as a table 95% of the time, and just load it with wood. Also if I have a helper they can stack the rounds there, and the splitter is fast enough I almost stay ahead of them. I also build it with the idea of some day having a firewood conveyor to the right of it. oh and I also left space at the front of the trailer to deck it over, so I can run it off a genset we have at work if I'm feeling moble.

and without further ado

That looks fine. Have you tried any really tough wood?

Really nice. I like the lift, and the two way wedge, which saves waiting on the return cycle.

I do have to say, from an ergonomics/safety standpoint, it would be better if the operator was standing on the same side of the machine as the valves, but overall I'm impressed. What is the toughest stuff you have split?

Really nice. I like the lift, and the two way wedge, which saves waiting on the return cycle.

I do have to say, from an ergonomics/safety standpoint, it would be better if the operator was standing on the same side of the machine as the valves, but overall I'm impressed. What is the toughest stuff you have split?
Agreed. I would move the control so you aren't reaching over all the time. Otherwise I like it! The cycle time is rather quick. Have you timed it? The wood you are splitting in the video looks easy enough to split with a hatchet. I would be interested to see it up against some big hardwood. Thanks for posting. How much do you think you have in to it?

The splitter.
100' 10-gauge cord

and without further ado

I built my electric splitter it is 20 ton i would not trade it for any splitter it has a 5 hp electric motor 3 stage pump it is in side a heat and ac building. I us my 30 ton three point splitter on my tractor to get chunks down to the size I can pick up and handle. If you don't need to move your slitter to me electric is the only way to go. Never had it to stop on single split. The cost is what is great my shop bill running the electric splitter no ac or heat one months bill is $19.00 but I have pay that if I don't even use the electric thats the standerd cost each month. Splitting all day with my tractor is around $25.00 thats one tank fill up Ram Splitter builds a 20 ton has a lot less power 2 stage pump 3 hp motor. Mine is not fast but its faster than me.

Latest posts

Back