My 288xp/660 piston swap build...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to see that saw in person to really see how beautiful it really is. Nicest 288 ever. Looked better than a new one out of the box. Great job Mike. Runs as good as it looks.:clap:

Gonna try her out this evening on a 30" Oak stump running 32" full skip. How much bar will this saw really take? Normally it will have 24" full comp on it.

:cheers:
Mike

It's official, this is my favorite saw now!!! This thing would walk all over the BB kitted 6401 Makita I had!! It just walked through the Oak stump like it was nothing, no bogging and rpms stayed up no problem. Turns out the tree was about 35" at the base, so bar was completely buried!!! I understand the big saw thing now!!!! So when is the next GTG?!?!?!!?

Mike

It's official, this is my favorite saw now!!! This thing would walk all over the BB kitted 6401 Makita I had!! It just walked through the Oak stump like it was nothing, no bogging and rpms stayed up no problem. Turns out the tree was about 35" at the base, so bar was completely buried!!! I understand the big saw thing now!!!! So when is the next GTG?!?!?!!?

Mike

Congrats on the saw Mike. Good stuff.:cheers:

I forgot to thank Rupedoggy for the OEM cylinder for the project, although, it sure would be nice with a decomp!!! :laugh: Thanks again Rupe!!

Mike

Had a chance to run a tank of fuel through the 288 yesterday, it really puts a smile on my face. Just checked the compression again, up to 207psi. I kinda hope it doesn't go up any more, I'm afraid I might have to run some better fuel. I'm just running 93 octane w/Stihl Ultra right now, don't wanna have to have special fuel for just one saw!

Mike

Had a chance to run a tank of fuel through the 288 yesterday, it really puts a smile on my face. Just checked the compression again, up to 207psi. I kinda hope it doesn't go up any more, I'm afraid I might have to run some better fuel. I'm just running 93 octane w/Stihl Ultra right now, don't wanna have to have special fuel for just one saw!

Mike

Holy crap Mike!! That kind of comp is crazy. I guess i need to check mine again. Ran it a little since the GTG. Maybe mine came up as well.:cheers:

Holy crap Mike!! That kind of comp is crazy. I guess i need to check mine again. Ran it a little since the GTG. Maybe mine came up as well.:cheers:

I'm starting to think a decomp valve might be a good thing, kinda rough on the recoil assy.!!!!

Mike

I'm starting to think a decomp valve might be a good thing, kinda rough on the recoil assy.!!!!

Mike

A little rough on the fingers too. Supercabs78 gave me a handle at the GTG that takes the rough out of it. Handle for a 460 "rescue". Big "D" handle. Works like a charm. Try it.:givebeer:

I have a couple Stihl elastostart handles around here, they're starting to look better all the time.

Mike

That's getting a little high eh!!

My 395 is 200psi, that was only after the 1st tank, wonder what it is now?? Do you get any run on?? With a big saw and real high compression it'll do that. Mine's a tad slow to come to idle when she gets hot.

Back