My answer for the flipcap problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno.....

Can a guy not be an idiot if he occaisionally overfills with Bar oil?

I know some pretty smart guys who drive old trucks, and only the tailgates aren't rusted out on 'em.

Must be a regional thing.:D

Granted, a shmaaart engineering type would never allow themself to refuel without a funnel and an eye dropper, so really overfilling is limited to theory amoung the denizens of Lumberjack engineers and intellectual firewood cutters out there.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A woman can use a flippy cap. What do you guys have to say for your self now? LOLOLOL.:biggrinbounce2:

Stihl chain saws with flimsy flippy caps made for women. :cheers:

Good engineering by the germanz when you mustn't overfill and you have to fiddle with the flippy cap when it's -60F and your gloves are half frozen. Lucky me I don't have to bother :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
there's been many posts about folks not being able to figure out how to operate flippy cap. This is total BS!

to insinuate someone that can overhaul the entire saw, can't figure out how to operate a flippy cap... come on...

problem is not figuring how to use flippy cap, but how it falls apart. then when it doesn't latch properly ... one is constantly screwing with it trying to get it to seal properly.

let's say cap just beginning to come apart. you twist/cam it shut...only to get a lap full of bar oil or fuel.

Stihl's flippy cap design is flawed and a failure.
there's several new caps in my toolbox. only solution besides selling the saw ... is to replace with new cap at earliest sign of failure.

Stihl's flippy cap design is flawed and a failure.
there's several new caps in my toolbox. only solution besides selling the saw ... is to replace with new cap at earliest sign of failure.

Sounds like it's working out pretty good for them. :)

Hmmmm, so your saying the flippy caps were made for woman?

Or is Stihl OPE for women only?

On a serious note, does the swelling issue affect the plastic, the o-ring, or both? Can you just keep a 2nd gas cap on hand, and by the time the one on the saw causes trouble, the one off the saw will have shrunk back to normal size?

Or is Stihl OPE for women only?

On a serious note, does the swelling issue affect the plastic, the o-ring, or both? Can you just keep a 2nd gas cap on hand, and by the time the one on the saw causes trouble, the one off the saw will have shrunk back to normal size?

I say just buy Husky's and J-Reds and you wont have to worry about flippy caps.

is it rocket science for a "pro" like yourself to use these??? i would think the 660/880 still have screw caps because they both are an older design. i really doubt 660 sales would suffer w/flippy caps. i would be willing to bet the replacement for both of those models will have them.

for the record 880s do have flippy caps;)

Speaking of caps, my 61 has gaskets on the caps...tighter turn=tighter seal.

I recently noticed that my 141 has o-rings instead of gaskets. That doesn't seem like an improvement to me, unless there is a lot more of a pressure difference between the tanks and atmospheric than I think there is...

my turn

i seem to find most of the problems with the cap is the operator tryin to force the cap in place. i have learned to deal with the flipy caps.

:cheers:

Wow. Rough thread.

let's say cap just beginning to come apart. you twist/cam it shut...only to get a lap full of bar oil or fuel.
.... only solution besides selling the saw ... is to replace with new cap at earliest sign of failure.

046; can you explain "come apart?"
Do you mean "fail to seal", or do you mean the o-ring is failing?

As far as "only solution is sell saw or replace cap" I would invite you to try my original post. 5 minutes with a file or stone and you're good to go.

I've spent 30 minutes fooling with a bad cap trying to get it to seal; once I tapered the edges of the cleats and flange, it worked fine. Still does.
-br

Love those flip caps, never had a problem with any of the saws ms 360, ms310, ms361, ms460, very happy with them,but i dont run any ethonal in my saws either. I actually hate the screw on ones, b

:monkey:

What is a flippy cap?

:hmm3grin2orange:

No issue with them myself. Stihl probably did not see the $ return in retooling the 660 gas tank.. Any "Pro" sales they may have lost they gain double in home owner sales. Home owners loooooooooove those caps and hate the caps that come on the cheapy Husqapouleds.

I have replaced a bunch of those little green fancy Husqvarna o-rings and lots of those caps as well. Pinched o-rings leak.

I am told the new Dolmar caps are ugly and obsolete.:poke:

Stihl chain saws with flimsy flippy caps made for women. :cheers:

Good engineering by the germanz when you mustn't overfill and you have to fiddle with the flippy cap when it's -60F and your gloves are half frozen. Lucky me I don't have to bother :greenchainsaw:

Heck no. We women are too smart to like those caps. At least those of us who work in the woods most days of the week. And are called upon to use our saws for work once in a while.

By the way, I don't mess with spouts, detergent bottles, or any other niceties. Oil and fuel gets poured into the saw. And yes, it does glug all over the saw sometimes. I don't run one every day but do enough to realize it aint always a glorious time. Try fueling up when your hands are cold and numb. Try it when the sky is dumping rain. Try it when you are sore and stiff. Think of having to mess with a stupid flippy cap day in and day out. Most of you have no idea.

Noooo, I back 056 Kid 100% on this topic. I guess that's why we work in the woods, we're too ignorant to be elsewhere. Flippy caps suck. Bigtime. Anything that makes the job a bit more annoying sucks.

Never had a single problem with any of my "flippy caps" and I have a whole fleet of stihl "strimmers" running throughout the world and never heard any complaints from the guys running them.. :confused:

Last edited:
I know some pretty smart guys who drive old trucks, and only the tailgates aren't rusted out on 'em.

Not a smart guy, but I do have one of those tailgates.

I'll bet their front ends might be as rust free as mine too...unless they are better about updating gaskets than I am.

Back