My biggest tree to tackle yet - monster white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've killed a saw or two, but not sure about the blow up. I have had an issue with vapor lock when pushing a saw really hard on a hot summer's day. August in Arkansas seems like it could be toasty.
Basically as the saw heats up, the gas starts to boil and isn't delivered to the engine correctly. Since the engine is gas starved, it doesn't get oil, further causing the engine to heat up and the piston will score.
Impossible to diagnose from the description above but if it fires up tomorrow okay that may be your problem.

Either way, that is a serious slab. :)

Now that's a big slab. Getting ready to get into the rotten part now, unfortunately. Blew up a saw today. It just up and died in the cut. I think the technical diagnosis is "blowd up." I looked in the exhaust port and the piston was all scored. Going to be looking to get it re-built so if someone has a spare cylinder and piston kit for an 084 then please PM me with a price. I may actually have someone go through the whole saw, so if there is someone on the forum particularly recommended for that I would love to know. I will be going through some old PMs that people have sent with offers of such services, so let me know if you've written before. The question is: what did I do wrong? Or does that just happen?

View attachment 518042 View attachment 518043 View attachment 518044
Could have been a hole in fuel line, bad gas or many other multitudes of things. Id mix a tad rich for milling and tune a tad rich too" just a tad " Milling is like stumping hard on saws. Btw nice stick and slabs!

Also: Anyone have any idea how much I should charge for one of these? At 6-7$/board foot it's $900 in wood alone. Factor in that you just can't get slabs this size. Not sure if I will deliver a finished piece or just a slab. Any ideas? I know that it's market dependent, but would love any advice available.

Thanks!
The local Windsor plywood dealer who sells a lot of hardwood here would probably have a sticker on it in the 1800-2400 range. Keeping in mind we're a long way from any oak trees.

I've killed a saw or two, but not sure about the blow up. I have had an issue with vapor lock when pushing a saw really hard on a hot summer's day. August in Arkansas seems like it could be toasty.
Basically as the saw heats up, the gas starts to boil and isn't delivered to the engine correctly. Since the engine is gas starved, it doesn't get oil, further causing the engine to heat up and the piston will score.
Impossible to diagnose from the description above but if it fires up tomorrow okay that may be your problem.

Either way, that is a serious slab. :)

That's what I think happened. Scored is what happened. The Arkansas Redneck term for that is "blowd up." ;)

When I replace this piston and cylinder should I get a Stihl part of Cross Performance? Something else?

Thoughts?

Milling pictures from last week. Went out today and almost everything went wrong immediately. I ended up just prepping and not slabbing.

Any thoughts on the way this is drying? It's just stacked in the field at the moment - need to move it to a proper location and sticker it appropriately. The grain is opening up a bit. Anyone know if this is normal?

IMG_7134.JPG IMG_7135.JPG IMG_7137.JPG IMG_7138.JPG IMG_7141.JPG

Wow, I've got Black Walnut slabs stickered all around my house. A few are gun stock quality, most are for slab benches and live edge tables. If I could get $100 each, they would be gone in a heart beat, Joe.

Weather really couldn't have been better today. Got some more of this monster cut.

I counted some of the rings today and am starting to think this tree is about 180-200 years old. Hope I can keep it around a while longer.

IMG_7272.JPG IMG_7273.JPG IMG_7274.JPG

In that last video did you fill up your tank 3-4 times????

Yes - which was ridiculous. I know. I was waiting for someone to mention that. I had pretty sharp chain (I am getting better at sharpening and while there were fines in there I was also throwing decent sized chips) and I have learned to hear when the air filter is getting clogged, but it still took a bunch of gas. However, that's pretty consistent on that log. It /is/ a 50+inch diameter white oak after all. But I would love to have some feedback. Am I doing something wrong?

Hey BobL: How much easier would things get if I would switch to smaller chain? I have traditionally run .404 but I know you don't. I would love to make the cutting easier and the kerf smaller. Assume this can be done with some sprocket changes and such. Thoughts?

Smaller chain won't make a lot of difference, 3/8 and 404 have almost the sam kerf width.
Lo pro is significantly narrower but you need a special drive sprocket and it will stretch too far on a long bar.
3-4 tanks sounds like a lot - I would have thought you could do those cuts in no more than 2 tanks.
Have we done a chain diagnosis for you yet? If not post some squarely side pics a cutter or two.

Back