My day out running new Echo CS370

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange fever

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Guys, My son and I ran chainsaws all day today. When I first ran the 370 I honestly thought "nice saw but what a dog", oh well. After about a half tank of gas it started running better. We were cutting dry elm at first. After that first half tank we moved to another spot and went to work on a big hedge.....that's right very hard stuff. I was completely amazed with the little 370!! For what I need a saw for it is perfect, an MS250 would have been too big and hard to handle, a 350 Husky the same. You all have run a lot of saws so let me put it to you this way. My son's CS440 is a nice saw, but it has a very narrow powerband and not much torque. You have to be carefull not to give it too much wood or it will fall flat on its face. That little CS370 has really got guts!! That little booger has plenty of torque! It does not turn as many rpms as the 440 which is fine with me. In doing what I bought the saw to do, which is cutting off brush about 1 1/2" and smaller then cutting up everything up to about 8-10" it cuts about as fast as I can move it from cut to cut, and without having to worry about keeping the revs up. I have ran alot of saws, and I'm sure there are faster saws, but this is really a perfect saw for what I use it for. The greatest thing is that it doesn't wear me out. I can just run it and run it. I highly recommend this saw to anyone who likes the old torquey easy to use powerbands!!! Great antivibe too. I'm sure the 210 Stihl is nice too, but I really enjoy this little Echo. If you get a chance give one a try. Starts easy, easy to run, melts right through the cuts, and I think the 16" bar is perfect. By the end of the day my son was thinking about putting a 16" bar on his 440 to make it a little handier.

Ugly old green saw

I ran my old 3450 Poulan for anything over 10" today it still does a fantastic job. I can just get it started in the cut and then let it work it's way right on through. I know alot of you like the "racing" saws, but that's not for me. I'm not trying to see who's first through a cut, I just want to get the job done quickly, safely, and comfortably time after time. I really like the combination of the CS370 for "trimming" and my old Poulan for the stuff over 8 or 10 inches. I really don't see the purpose of a 45 to 50 cc saw if you have multiple saws. I like a smaller saw for the multiple position trimming work and a bigger stronger saw for the stuff over 8" or so. If someone has only 1 saw then the 45-50cc class makes sense, you can trim with them and they will cut a 18" or even bigger log, but ideally I think more specialized tools are handier. I still want an MS361 and now I have the itch for one of the little 7 1/2 lb. Echos like the CS346. Thanks to all of you for the input, and I didn't ignore what you said, dealer quality was a big factor to me. Seriously guys, if you need a saw to use like I do (trimming and up to 8" or so) the little CS370 is a dream to use and plenty fast.

Mod the muffler on the poulan and it'll run a lot better! I have one and can't really hate too hard on it ... does its job just slings bar oil like mad!!

Glad to hear you like the Echo. My old Husky 340 was a strong little saw, and it's close in the realm of that Echo (faster probably) but never bogged and I liked it a lot. I'd like to try out a CS370 just to see how it runs. I've only run smaller Echo's .. well except for the older ones (550evl and 452evl) which were both strong/slow(er)/good cutting saws.

I have a feeling that if you got a 361 your other saws would be collecting dust. They are that nice, and in my opinion; not heavy at all. I have a three saw quiver comprised of an older Homelite VI Super 2, A Stihl 028 Super and a Stihl 036 Pro. I find myself using the largest saw almost all the time. Once in a while I will fire up one of the other two. I find the the larger saw does anything the smaller two will, only faster.

I bought my 370 believe it or not ,cause it looked really good,and loaded with features.Ive dont think i had it a week and I have punched out the muffler and put a RS chain on its 16''bar and it runs better with every tank.:blob2:

Nice report Orange Fever.

I have an Echo in the 30 cc class range (CS 346) It is an exceptional saw for what I ask it to do. Very light and dependable. Great trail and lane maintenance saw. I know I can get a little more out of it if I open up the muffler, but will probably let the warranty run out before I do that.

Guys, My son and I ran chainsaws all day today. When I first ran the 370 I honestly thought "nice saw but what a dog", oh well. After about a half tank of gas it started running better. We were cutting dry elm at first. After that first half tank we moved to another spot and went to work on a big hedge.....that's right very hard stuff. I was completely amazed with the little 370!! For what I need a saw for it is perfect, an MS250 would have been too big and hard to handle, a 350 Husky the same. You all have run a lot of saws so let me put it to you this way. My son's CS440 is a nice saw, but it has a very narrow powerband and not much torque. You have to be carefull not to give it too much wood or it will fall flat on its face. That little CS370 has really got guts!! That little booger has plenty of torque! It does not turn as many rpms as the 440 which is fine with me. In doing what I bought the saw to do, which is cutting off brush about 1 1/2" and smaller then cutting up everything up to about 8-10" it cuts about as fast as I can move it from cut to cut, and without having to worry about keeping the revs up. I have ran alot of saws, and I'm sure there are faster saws, but this is really a perfect saw for what I use it for. The greatest thing is that it doesn't wear me out. I can just run it and run it. I highly recommend this saw to anyone who likes the old torquey easy to use powerbands!!! Great antivibe too. I'm sure the 210 Stihl is nice too, but I really enjoy this little Echo. If you get a chance give one a try. Starts easy, easy to run, melts right through the cuts, and I think the 16" bar is perfect. By the end of the day my son was thinking about putting a 16" bar on his 440 to make it a little handier.
Thanks for the feed back! Good to here you are happy with it! I like to use a small saw also some of the time especially if the terrain is steep and I just need to cut a few small trees for firewood. To be honest I was impressed with the first Echo I seen used! And thought I might have to get one when my favorite little saw die's, if it ever does!I always take at least two saw's with me a big one and a little one.

Great to hear about the cs-370. I have been using a CS-346/CS-670 combo for firewood for the last several years. I recently bought a PS-5100 to see how it would work alone. It is a great saw, really fast, but to be honest, it's just a fun saw and doesn't really compare to the echo combo. Even though it is not as fast, the cs-346 is much more nimble and better for small stuff. The CS-670 has more grunt and reach for the bigger stuff. The PS-5100 is a great saw, but for my purposes, it is more for fun than practical. When I am next shopping for a small saw, I will probably go for the CS-370.

Back