My favorite type of thread: What's a scored 357 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the base gasket out of my 359 and it had some serious compression, although I never checked it with my tester... With just a muffler mod that saw was a good runner!
My latest 350 I built is the same design cylinder. After I ported it, with the squish at .015" compression is 180 psi and it runs better than a stock 346 NE

My latest 350 I built is the same design cylinder. After I ported it, with the squish at .015" compression is 180 psi and it runs better than a stock 346 NE
What about a ported 346, compared to the ported 350 or 353?

Guys will pick a Stihl over Husky almost every time unless he's trained and they never want a Poulan unless they're a cheapskate!

Call me a cheapskate, did a 3 hour round trip yesterday to get some saws, in the group were 3 Poulans including a 4900.

Don't know anything about expensive saws...

This one I just put together is blowing 195 psi,
with a .020" squish, no pop-up and no squish band machining. :D
This one only has a tank and a half on a new top-end. :D
My older 357 is at 190 psi with just the base gasket removed.
I've not been able to get this kind of comp out of a 346 without machine work.

What do you need? I have several parts saws.
I don't know yet. I know for sure I need a piston but not a cylinder, I have a good cylinder. I'm going to see a fellow tomorrow that has a bunch of old saws and I'm sure if he's there he'll have a parts saw or three. Some of the parts that I have aren't quite up to snuff so I'm gonna try for a fairly complete saw. I'll let you know if I have any luck. Like I said before there's no big hurry on this one. I have a feeling it's gonna get cold pretty soon and I'll probably not do much saw repair at my place. Might work a little in a friend's shop, he has a warmer place to work.

FWIW, I'm trying to decide whether to rebuild or sell a 357 I bought a while back. We just traded in a pretty good one at the shop, & I'll probably bring it home. I probably don't need 2 357s, as I already have PLENTY of 60cc saws. Probably don't need all 4 of those 056s either.... Errr, I best not start thinking about all of the un-needed duplicate saws. I'll just keep the stupid thing and put it as #6332356 on the project list. Right behind the 361 I also just found.

Where are y'all finding these used saws for cheap? I can't find crap locally. I've got a shopping list of Husqvarnas I'm looking for, and I'm having no luck at any pricepoint that makes sense.
It's kind of a hit and miss thing. I picked up a couple today and the local small engine shop but nothing you guys would want. They really didn't have much this time. I'll try a different place either Friday or next week. I'm gathering up a few saws to work on when weather is good, not in a hurry to find anything right now but if something falls in my lap...The two I got today are both 330s, a Homelite and an Echo. Something to sell if I get them running. Husqvarnas are saws that I only find on occasion, one day I found a 357XP and a 359, lucky day!

Where are y'all finding these used saws for cheap? I can't find crap locally. I've got a shopping list of Husqvarnas I'm looking for, and I'm having no luck at any pricepoint that makes sense.
Working at the local dealership helps ALOT. I get first swing at all trade-ins, and have gotten a few projects by offering trade-in value on broken saws that the owner does not want to repair. That is how I have landed several 1128 saws, my 288 Lite, 390xp, 266xp, 362cm, 034 Super, HT-75, ... I'd better stop right there.

For that class saw... $100 if it has a salvageable jug AND is really clean. $75 If it's rough. If you don't know the internals....$50 Max.

Figure if you need a top end.... that's $75 -$100 for a good used one or one of the better AM options, $150 for a Meteor. And your time. That's worth something too. A Shop wants $50 bucks an hour.... three hours to bring it back? $150. So now you already have $225-$250 and that's what a running used one will cost. Me? I won't spend more than $50 on a carcass. Many I get for between $0-$25... and plenty cross my bench at those price points. I have to really want a particular saw to spend more than $75 on a dead one.... maybe the 25 or so project, work, & hobby saws sitting on the shelf have tempered my will to spend on dead saws. Now it almost either has to be a "raw material" purchase because a friend wants me to build one of my work saw concepts for them... or something I want from the Hobby side where dollars aren't the deciding factor.. fun is.

Latest posts

Back