My first vids..7900 vs 064vs p361 vs p372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuleyJ

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I finally decided to do some vids. Remember I'm a newbie at this, so be kind. All of the saws were using the same chain. The 7900 and 372 used same bar and the 064 and 361 used the same bar. I did have to do some trimming for the 361 and the 372 to cut completely through the round as I got to the bigger end. My saws are probably tuned a little richer than some for cutting cookies but that's how I run them so that's how they stayed.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5AFh7PoYfL0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5AFh7PoYfL0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object><object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvCx_E0Du0k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvCx_E0Du0k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Times are as follows, timed off of the frame by frame of the vid editor:
7900 1}22.97
7900 2}22.97
064 1}22.76
064 2}22.1
064 3}22.67
361 1}26.53
361 2}26.67
372 1}19.87
372 2}19.50

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The 372 kinda surprised me a little, I did not think it would be quite that fast. I know the 361 is a little out of its league here but it seemed to do all right. The 7900 is 34% cc upgrade and only 14% better in the cut than the 361. Seems OK to me. I thought the 064 would be a little better than the 7900 but they seem real close. The 064 feels stronger but the 7900 just kinda fools me, nice and smooth and faster than it feels.

great vids.

i like the 064 372 is ripper for sure

Good show!:clap:

That 372 is a strong runner. Only advise I can give you is the 7900 sounded a bit rich, you want her bouncing off the limiter, that should give it a bit more jam.:cheers:

I'm still babying th 79'er a bit, it's the newest saw I got. I will trim the tabs and give it the treatment before long. I hate limiters with a passion, and from the sound of it this saw will live its life limited:cry:

great vids.

i like the 064 372 is ripper for sure

064 is a beast down low. In one of the cuts it catches a split and about pulls the saw out of my hands. You gotta hold on to that one tight. I think it would be more at home with a bigger bar.

Last edited:
i have a 066 and id like to try a 064 some day to see how much lighter it is and how close in performance i can get to the modded 066.

i know what your talkn about havn to have a good grip on it.

64 is kinda dream saw. as i havent had many saws come my way lately

OK I see, yup it's tuned just right then.:cheers:

How exactly do you mean bouncing off the limiter BTW? I just have some terrible problems with limiters, I'm kinda scared to get close to them. I have seen a vid of you tuning your 7900 in the wood, I suppose that would be the way to do it. May play around with it a little tomorrow if I have time.

In the wood is the best way to tune a rev limited saw, especially a ported one. On a stock 7900 you can tune it as close to 13,500 as you can get it, and it should be close, but most of the time you're leaving some power on the table. It's taken me some time to get a feel for it, but I can now pretty much tell just by how the saw accelerates. BTW when the limiter kicks in the saw cuts out with a very distinctive taping like sound.

Hope this helps you.

Andre.:cheers:

Last edited:
In the wood is the best way to tune a rev limited saw, especially a ported one. On a stock 7900 you can tune it as close to 13,500 as you can get it, and it should be close, but most of the time you're leaving some power on the table. It's taken me some time to get a feel for it, but I can now pretty much tell just by how the saw accelerates. BTW when the limiter kicks in the saw cuts out with a very distinctive taping like sound.

Hope this helps you.

Andre.:cheers:

OK, may just take me some time. I can hear it hitting the limiter when I get it there. For now I just set it to 13,300 on the tach. Thanks for the info, I will fiddle with it some and see if I can get a little more, that saw keeps growing on me.

i have a 066 and id like to try a 064 some day to see how much lighter it is and how close in performance i can get to the modded 066.

i know what your talkn about havn to have a good grip on it.

64 is kinda dream saw. as i havent had many saws come my way lately

I have both and they are different animals, I tend to pick up the 66 more, mostly to save the 064 the trouble, I think it big wood (36+) the 66 will take off, but in the medeum stuff like 30 inch range they are about the same, there is no noticable weight difference but I will say, the 64 in the vid would have cut better with more chain, mine at least like to be in the low-med range in the cut, dosnt like to rip like the 66.

I have both and they are different animals, I tend to pick up the 66 more, mostly to save the 064 the trouble, I think it big wood (36+) the 66 will take off, but in the medeum stuff like 30 inch range they are about the same, there is no noticable weight difference but I will say, the 64 in the vid would have cut better with more chain, mine at least like to be in the low-med range in the cut, dosnt like to rip like the 66.

The chain was off my 361 24" setup so I'm sure the 064 could use a little more off the rakers. The 064 is new to me but I think it has more grunt than my 660.

Back