my house is now 100% oil free!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a thought but both tanks are over 20 years old and I blieve they recommend changing them after 20 years.
I am thinking about adding a couple of electric baseboards for backup. seems like the cheapest solution.

A couple of electric base boards in like the areas containing water ( bathrooms kitchen) and maybe something in the basement although it prolly wont get below freezing there. The bad thing about oil if it sits to long it can go bad.. and if the tank is not full it can get condensation ( water) in and an start to rust things.
is gas maybe an option? for back up purposes

"Solar Dryer" = "Clothes Line": a past antiquated technology.
Take that "Dude". :buttkick:
Instructions: Take 1 50' rope ~ 1/4" dia. Find 2 (two) trees. Tie ( "...the rabbit gosinta the hole....") round said trees at head height. Buy clothes pins to hold said drying clothes. That's it, Dude. :givebeer:
BTW: What's a "Dude" Dude ? :confused:

Guess I was funnin' with Jkebxjunke and didnt realize you thought I was serious.I am very familiar with that "antiquated technology" seeing as how I spent every day after school at my Grandparents,who had one that seemed to knock me off my bike when I wasnt paying attention. Oh and a Dude was a sarcastic way to make fun of young "dudes" who dont know about them.:greenchainsaw:

Guess I was funnin' with Jkebxjunke and didnt realize you thought I was serious.I am very familiar with that "antiquated technology" seeing as how I spent every day after school at my Grandparents,who had one that seemed to knock me off my bike when I wasnt paying attention. Oh and a Dude was a sarcastic way to make fun of young "dudes" who dont know about them.:greenchainsaw:

hmmm 39 and I am still called 'dude'? :spam: :spam: :spam: baked beans :spam::spam:

well thats the trick i cant really leave for the weekend or anything with the way i heat now. noit that i have the money to do that anyway lol. i work during the day and the wife works at night so i load it up before i go to work in the morning and she does the same at about 2:30. i get home about 6 then i fill her again. it works for now. my furnace is in perfect working order if i wanted to use it again in emergency i could go grab some diesel for the tank cuse its pretty empty as it sits now. and refill the boiler as i drained it for long term storage. it would bbe a pain in the ass cuse id have to belle dall my registers again but it could be done.

on a side note my dad has been using pellets for about 14 years. when he had problems with his stove he bought a couple of those oil filled electric heaters. those things worked great he heated for over a week with them if i remember right maybe longer. id prolly go that route in a pinch. im sick of spooning good money to heat my water and house.

Only thing I say about empty tank is it will get condensation inside and probably start getting funky inside. By the way my HVAC man started workung on my furnace in the 70s and said tank was here then, so mine is heading for 40 at least.:)

In the winter I dry laundry with the woodstove. Use those folding wooden racks about 6 to 8 feet from the stove. Same racks on the deck in the summer. Don't even own a dryer!

Latest posts

Back