My latest build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This project started as a parts saw from Stihl Crazy. It was originally a 260 Arctic. The heating elements and generator were missing and I don't really need them. So that basically makes it a Pro model now.

Here it is disassembled and ready for...........yes........the dishwasher:)
117203659-S.jpg

...and IN the dishwasher.
117203664-S.jpg

I told you it does a great job. This thing was filthy!
117230387-S.jpg

117230389-S.jpg

Here's the final result. It's basically a new saw. New bar, chain, plastic, tank, top handle, P&C, bar cover, ElastoStart rope. I also modded the muffler. All seals and gaskets are new except for the cases. The crank and bearings were in good shape. Oh, I rebuild the carb too. Many of these parts were the best from other projects I was working on. It was missing the shroud, so I bought both pieces new and sold the original filter cover. The starter was disassembled, sandblasted, painted, and then baked in the.......wifes oven. I chose not to paint the case since it wasn't in that bad of shape. OK, so I kept all the best for myself. Once again, the plan is to keep this saw. Of course, I've said that before.
121257341-M.jpg

121257342-M.jpg

121257352-M.jpg

My wife said OK to building them on the kitchen table, but put her foot down on the dishwasher idea. Oh well, cant win them all.

Do I need to post a pic of the inside of the dishwasher? Looks like it did before the saw parts, maybe better. There was very little to wipe out, and it wasn't greasy. Just a little debris under the "end" of the door. While I was wiping that out, I wipe off dirt that didn't come from me. Sounds like a deal doesn't it?:hmm3grin2orange:

One thing I can't understand....

When you rebuild a saw that looks that good, take the time to sandblast and repaint, why the hell don't you touch up the chips???

It looks great, but finish it.

Do I need to post a pic of the inside of the dishwasher? Looks like it did before the saw parts, maybe better. There was very little to wipe out, and it wasn't greasy. Just a little debris under the "end" of the door. While I was wiping that out, I wipe off dirt that didn't come from me. Sounds like a deal doesn't it?:hmm3grin2orange:

Ah, ya, but how's the dishwasher? Wow, nice looking saw.

Yes, the dishwasher is a good thing :biggrinbounce2:
attachment.php

One thing I can't understand....

When you rebuild a saw that looks that good, take the time to sandblast and repaint, why the hell don't you touch up the chips???

It looks great, but finish it.

This case wasn't as bad as the other cases I've repainted so I chose not to repaint it. Plus, I wasn't planning on selling it. The Stihl spray requires several coats for good coverage and wouldn't work well with a brush. I'd have to get custom mixed auto paint to touch this one up with.

This case wasn't as bad as the other cases I've repainted so I chose not to repaint it. Plus, I wasn't planning on selling it. The Stihl spray requires several coats for good coverage and wouldn't work well with a brush. I'd have to get custom mixed auto paint to touch this one up with.

I couldn't not. The saw looks like new, how can you leave it with these blemishes?

paint it

but a really nice job all the same.

Just out of interest how much has it cost you to get it to this condition?

Forgetting your time involved of course, cause none of us count that!:D

Poor Man's Cuda

Wow, I never thought of using a dishwasher as a parts cleaner. Excellent idea. :rockn:Maybe buy a new one for the kitchen and mount the old one in the shop. Any particular detergents work better than others for cleaning saws?

Then you don't use a brush, but a air-brush for the touch up whit auto paint
attachment.php

Looks great. Good work. But I am curious how much one would have to spend to do it, and if it is worth it other than the fact that you did it yourself. I'm not trying to be a naysayer here, just seems like a lot of money for those parts.

Latest posts

Back