My new 066, Needs oiler and questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got a good 066 from my dealer today. I got a deal on it I couldn't pass up, $175.00. It runs really good, needs B&C and a couple others but it is good. I got it home and fired it up and noticed that it wasn't oiling. So I took the filter off the oil line and cleaned it and put it back on, nothing. So I started it up without the B&C and cover and nothing. So I tore into it. I am almost to the oiler. And I need to know do you pull that stop with 3 prongs on it? It is right before the oiler on the crankshaft, there is a washer type thing behind it, do I pull it too? And how much will a new oiler cost for a 066?:greenchainsaw::confused: :):cry: :dizzy:

Does it have a clutch drum and a rim sprocket?????"""""Is the clutch complete??? can you take a picture??? without a clutch/ drum /it wont oil!!!! the clutch drum turns the oil wormgear which in turn drives the oil pump!!!!!:givebeer: :givebeer:

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad. Did a search and I see what I did wrong. I didn't unscrew the clutch, I took it off the holder. Never mind my bad. But I did get a 066 for a deal. I don't need to pull anything, sorry.:( :greenchainsaw: :buttkick:

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad. Did a search and I see what I did wrong. I didn't unscrew thw clutch I took it off the holder. Never mind my bad. But I did get a 066 for a deal. I don't need to pull anything, sorry.:( :greenchainsaw: :buttkick:

Dont worry!!!!! its all good,,,, let us know if you need any more help!!!!!! :givebeer: I thought maybe you pulled the shoes off of the idler?????

Man that must have been fun,,, will may be easier to pull the idler to put the shoes back on then reinstall when your done with the oil pump!!!

Congrats on the good saw find!!!!!

Last edited:
Dont worry!!!!! its all good,,,, let us know if you need any more help!!!!!! :givebeer: I thought maybe you pulled the shoes off of the idler?????

Man that must have been fun,,, will may be easier to pull the idler to put the shoes back on then reinstall when your done with the oil pump!!!

Congrats on the good saw find!!!!!

That's exactly what I did. I pulled the shoes off the idler. I have the clutch back together now. And the oil pump is off and it is shot. I'm going to get a new one off my dealer as soon as I can.:greenchainsaw: :)

BTW River Rat, it's a newer 066 with the 660 style air filter cover. And even better was that it was bought off my dealer back when it was new.

Last edited:
It would greatly help if you had a workshop Manual or @ least the IPL so you can visualize how things go back together... I use them all the time on saws/stuff I dont work on much and forget about from time to time... it is a great tool,,,, lemme see what I can dig up!!!

Recently I replaced the bad oil pump on my MS660 with a new high output pump. The pump works great on 36" bar. Lakeside supplied the part number for the HO pump, do a search on the subject. IIRC the pump was about $85.00. I added a new worm and some other parts too.

Yep!!!! +1

Recently I replaced the bad oil pump on my MS660 with a new high output pump. The pump works great on 36" bar. Lakeside supplied the part number for the HO pump, do a search on the subject. IIRC the pump was about $85.00. I added a new worm and some other parts too.

Good upgrade,,, most of my 066's already have the west coast HO pump!!!

Rr!

RiverRat, Do you know how much a stock oiler new, goes for?:greenchainsaw:

not till Monday morning but Andy has an online price list,,,, I thinnk they are about 70 bucks or so new!!! for the 066????

Last edited:

Looks like I'll be putting a good used oiler in it. I'll have over $200 in it in parts but it will be a really good saw when I'm done. :greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :)

Well, my dealer saved me a whole bunch of money today, probably $100. He said the oiler isn't bad, they never wear out, but the plastic/nylon worm gear does. So he got me that and I asked him how much a clutch would cost he said $70. I said well, I just need the clips that hold the shoes on the idler, I said can you buy them seperate? He said yea, so he said he'll order them for me. And I got a new rim and drum along with a new sproket washer and clip. So I left the shop with $40 out of my pocket instead of $140. So I think I made out. And then I went home and put it all back together and put my 460's bar and chain on it and run it through a log. And for being 5 years old and it was probably used everyday during it's life, it runs really good. The logger that had it before me traded it in, and he bought a 660. I'll still end up putting $180 in it but, that's a small price to pay for a strong running 066.:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

Good job... Do yourself a favor though - replace the clutch springs at the same time as the retainers, then you can forget the clutch for a long time..

clutch

Good job... Do yourself a favor though - replace the clutch springs at the same time as the retainers, then you can forget the clutch for a long time..

Maybe, or just buy a $30 clutch off bailey's. But the springs are still really strong, cause it was a real SOB to put the shoes back on the idler.:hmm3grin2orange: :laugh: :chainsawguy:

Maybe, or just buy a $30 clutch off bailey's. But the springs are still really strong, cause it was a real SOB to put the shoes back on the idler.:hmm3grin2orange: :laugh: :chainsawguy:

you can replace all three springs for 9.00 bucks while you are @ it,,,,

But as you said,,you had good tension when you hung them back on the carrier,,,

BTW,,, when you had it apart.... Did you notice if the holes in the shoes were wallowed out any???? or if there were any flattened sides inside the hooks of the springs??? was the clutch all tight when you got it back together????

Huh? you put the springs on when the shoes and retainers are already installed... The real test is whether you can idle it high enough and not have the chain run.

Latest posts

Back