My new 066, Needs oiler and questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holders

Huh? you put the springs on when the shoes and retainers are already installed... The real test is whether you can idle it high enough and not have the chain run.

That's the thing, it doesn't have retainer's. 2 of them busted in half and just one side was on the clutch when I took it off, and the 3rd one is cracked. So I'm getting new retainer's from my dealer, I ain't running it till it is completly fixed up.:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :)

springs

you can replace all three springs for 9.00 bucks while you are @ it,,,,

But as you said,,you had good tension when you hung them back on the carrier,,,

BTW,,, when you had it apart.... Did you notice if the holes in the shoes were wallowed out any???? or if there were any flattened sides inside the hooks of the springs??? was the clutch all tight when you got it back together????

The holes in the shoes are just big enough to get the end of the spring into, the springs look really good. And when I got it back together, there isn't no way you're just going to pull the shoes off. So I think the springs are ok. But maybe in the future i'll just buy a clutch off bailey's for it. We'll see.:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

yes... Don't run it until you have the retainers on, unless you want to buy a new oil pump drive again, maybe a pump, or worse...

You need to look closely at the clutch to find out why those retainers were broken. It's uncommon...

Last edited:
The holes in the shoes are just big enough to get the end of the spring into, the springs look really good. .:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

The point I am trying to make is the spot in the hole of the shoe where the spring hook rides over time tend to get a groove cut in them from the springs hardness & tension the springs get a flat side also,,,, inside the hook,,, where it contacts the hole in the shoe,,, as they get more wear they begin to wobble on the carrier and split/crack retainers,,,
the busted retainer parts then come loose and grind around inside that area and wipe out oil pumps, worm gears etc.....

Like Lakeside said,,,, have a good look @ it, keep an eye on it,,, before it tears something else up!!!!

old

yes... Don't run it until you have the retainers on, unless you want to buy a new oil pump drive again, maybe a pump, or worse...

You need to look closely at the clutch to find out why those retaines were broken. It's uncommon...

I think it is just from use, the saw was probably used everyday of it's life. And you know how some guys are, rough on stuff.:greenchainsaw: :)

dawg

Well, I got the new Stihl ES 24" bar and Stihl RSC chain for it today. Along with the new air filter, inside dawg, and chain catcher for it today. The top inside dawg mount it busted off, so I made a mold out of card board and taped it up, so it would hold it's shape and filled the mold with JB weld, and clamped it with vise grips for overnight. In the morning I will cut off the card board, and tape. And see what I have. I have it on my work bench by the furnace so it cures faster. Did any of you have this problem and how did you fix it?:greenchainsaw: :clap: :chainsaw: :)

lakeside

Lakeside, how long do you let your JB weld set-up for. I usually let mine set up for a day or 2.:greenchainsaw:

overnight

I let it sit overnight, and I went out this morning to see what I had. I took off the taoe and cardboard and the mold worked perfectly. So I drilled the hole and put the dog on, and tightened it not too tight but snug, until it dries more. So I seen that I needed just a little more on the edge close to the muffler by the dawg. So I mixed up some more and put it on there, and it's drying now. I'm pretty happy with the results. It's better than buying a whole new case just because of a busted dawg mount! lol:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :)

If you're building up the part I image you are, I'd usually drill and tap a couple of pins into the existing mag to act as a scaffold.

It seems to be holding well, the JB somewhat dried already, so I put the B+C on, and it looks really good. Alot better than when I got it. So all I'm waiting on now are the clutch clips from my dealer. You guy's are gonna make me post pics on here, huh?:greenchainsaw: :) :clap: :cheers:

dawg

If you're building up the part I image you are, I'd usually drill and tap a couple of pins into the existing mag to act as a scaffold.

It's the top mount for the inside dawg. It was busted clear off. Although I don't know how you could bust one of those mounts off, but I guess it can be done. I think if I would drill and tap pins, that the chain cover wouldn't go on right again. If I sand and file down the JB weld an paint it, it would look like factory. But then again it probably wouldn't be noticeable after a day in the woods anyway, since I'm going to log with it.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers: :) :clap:

Well, got my clutch clips on it tonight and put it back together and started it up. And while I was warming it up I noticed it wasn't oiling. And because of the clutch clips being broke off they must have not noticed it and kept running it and since they where tumbling around in there they chewed the outlet hole of the oiler up and you can see straight through the hole. And it pumps all the oil onto the clutch. None was going on the bar. So it looks like I will still need a oiler. It's a classic lose, lose situation. But I guess it's worth it, maybe. LOL:buttkick: :( :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Lakeside!!!

LAKESIDE, that HO west coast oiler, can you turn it down enough that it won't drain the bar oil tank before the gas? And can you turn it down enough for a 24" bar? I won't be running 36" bars on it any. I will be running a 24" on it maybe all of it's life.:greenchainsaw:

yes... The HO pump increases the max output by 6cc per minute, but the lower end adjustment is the same.

Last edited:
Ok

OK. I just wanted to know. I might be giving you a pm on getting one if my dealer doesn't have one used. He told me on friday he would have to dig through the pile to get a used one. So I might give you a holler soon. I just wanted to let you know.:greenchainsaw:

Well, I got the 066 running tonight. I got a used oiler off my dealer for $20, cleaned the oiler up and put her on and put it back together. I started her up and run the tip of the bar in front of a log, and there's a nice stream of oil now. I ran her through some red maple rounds and she cuts good. Just a little faster than my 385. I'm gonna put a BB kit in it when I get some extra money though, then DP muffler. Lakeside, stay tuned because he says that he has a couple more 066's and 1 or 2 red light versons. And 1 or 2 of them need oilers. I'll probably be buying them too. He has a couple 395's too, I might buy them too. I'm telling you I have the chainsaw disease BAD!!!!LOLOLOLOLOL:hmm3grin2orange: :greenchainsaw: :cheers: :chainsawguy: :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Back