My New MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Outdoorlivin, where did you get that picture? I have seen a bunch of hand traumas in the operating room, mostly from table saws and circular saws, but none from chainsaws. All the chainsaw traumas I've seen were in the legs and feet, and they were pretty nasty, none were as clean a cut as the one pictured. In any case, sharp things that move really fast require the operator to know what they're doing, and to pay attention!

Congrats on the MS 361! I bought one a couple months ago and haven't had a chance to run it though. I've been running my baby saw, an old 021.

It was from the 6 seconds w/ a new 361 thread...The guys started the saw w/ the bar scabbard on then took it off w/ the saw running...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=106612&highlight=cut+arm

Last edited:
The 361 is a very good saw,hope you enjoy it.Now about the 5 cords.Are those full cords 4'x4'x8' and how long are you cutting them?It takes me more tanks than that and I am cutting them 16" long.

Congratulations!:clap:

now go punch a hole in that exhaust and enjoy it even more. No joking, these saws just deserve it and you'll get the reward.

:cheers:

I gotta bone stock 361 and can fill a 6' x 12' x 3' trailer with 6-18" Doug fir on less than two tanks. I cut 14"-16" long at around 3500' and would guess it takes around 4 tanks to cut 5 cord of soft wood. If I didn't cut WFO I could probably get more but what fun would that be? I have filled that same trailer with 16"-20" maple and holy :censored: did I go through the fuel! I probably filled up three times and had a dry tank when I was done.

Wow, you're getting really good mileage with your new saw.

Also, "outdoorlivin247" isn't there some rule about posting gruesome pictures in a thread not labeled as such? That is disgusting and not something I wanted to be hit with scrolling through a thread about a new MS361. If I want to see that type of thing I'll go to the injuries and fatalities forum I reckon.

Wow, you're getting really good mileage with your new saw.

Also, "outdoorlivin247" isn't there some rule about posting gruesome pictures in a thread not labeled as such? That is disgusting and not something I wanted to be hit with scrolling through a thread about a new MS361. If I want to see that type of thing I'll go to the injuries and fatalities forum I reckon.

Sometimes it is good to just slip in reminders, no matter the topic...

This made me :laugh:

Better a gut check in cyberspace than a reality check in the ER I think.

I'm picking one up today that has an air leak somewhere. I'll problem solve that for the 50$ I'm paying for the saw with a 20" bar and chain!! Looks new, is complete.

Well I picked up my new MS361 Friday evening from my local dealer. First thing Saturday morning I starting bucking some logs I had for this winters firewood. The biggest logs were in the 24" range with the smallest 12". Three tanks of mix and I'll be damned, I'm finished with 5 cords of wood. My 029 would have taken three times as long to buck these logs. I can't see using it anymore unless the 361 is not around.

Then send it to me I'll pay shipping

Then why is there a low speed screw?

Someone correct me if I'm saying this wrong. The low speed is to control fuel at idle and speeds between idle and WOT. If this is incorrectly adjusted you will have a saw the bogs, dies and otherwise just doesn't run smoothly up to WOT.

Brad is right. and there is topic on it somewhere here explaining the whole thing.

Point being that the mixture is not correct between idle and WOT as fuel is delivered for one of both situations by the resp. jets and throttle position

High jet starts working when you touch the throttle but the butterfly valve (air) is not opened completely so you get a rich mixture all the time at half throttle as this jet gives you the amount of fuel needed at WOT on top of the fuel delivered by the low jet.

The low jet is there to keep the thing going at idle and from bogging down when you hit the trigger before airflow induced vacuum takes over and pulls the additional fuel from the high jet.

Idle screw adjusts mixture at idle = closed butterfly valve, so minimum air supply.

At least thats what i remember from that thread.

Brad is right. and there is topic on it somewhere here explaining the whole thing.

Point being that the mixture is not correct between idle and WOT as fuel is delivered for one of both situations by the resp. jets and throttle position

High jet starts working when you touch the throttle but the butterfly valve (air) is not opened completely so you get a rich mixture all the time at half throttle as this jet gives you the amount of fuel needed at WOT on top of the fuel delivered by the low jet.

The low jet is there to keep the thing going at idle and from bogging down when you hit the trigger before airflow induced vacuum takes over and pulls the additional fuel from the high jet.

Idle screw adjusts mixture at idle = closed butterfly valve, so minimum air supply.

At least thats what i remember from that thread.

I believe Brad knows his stuff and didn't intend to cast doubt on that. I've looked through several threads but haven't seen it explained this way. Anyone have any idea which thread this is in? I would be interested in reading the whole thing. (as long as it's not 20 pages long!)

Someone correct me if I'm saying this wrong. The low speed is to control fuel at idle and speeds between idle and WOT. If this is incorrectly adjusted you will have a saw the bogs, dies and otherwise just doesn't run smoothly up to WOT.

Yup, the very point I was trying to make. :clap:

But I wasn't insinuating that you should be cutting with low engine rpm's. I was merely explaining the purpose of having low rpm carb settings. After all, the saw isn't always at WOT and needs to perform properly during those periods. Max power and cylinder lubrication is developed at WOT if the high side is adjusted properly, thus you should be cutting at WOT.

But I wasn't insinuating that you should be cutting with low engine rpm's. I was merely explaining the purpose of having low rpm carb settings. After all, the saw isn't always at WOT and needs to perform properly during those periods. Max power and cylinder lubrication is developed at WOT if the high side is adjusted properly, thus you should be cutting at WOT.

I have heard other people saying that they are backing off with the 361 I cant see it unless its the last 1/4 inch :agree2:

The 361 is a very good saw,hope you enjoy it.Now about the 5 cords.Are those full cords 4'x4'x8' and how long are you cutting them?It takes me more tanks than that and I am cutting them 16" long.

Not sure what the difference is between a full cord or a face cord, but I had a stack of wood 80 ft. long, 2 ft. wide and 4 ft. high. That is 640 cu. ft. of wood, stacked as tight as I could stack it within reason. Dividing 640 by 128 I get 5.
As for as the amount of mix used, I forgot to include the tank the dealer had put in the saw. So it was 4 full tanks of mix to buck 5 cords of wood. I am very satisfied with the saw.

Tim

Back