My new (to me)372. What mods recommended?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinwilt68

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I been looking for 70cc saw and found this at my local shop, owner showed me receipt for over $950.00, said it had 1/2 tank of fuel ran thru it, I paid $700.00 it had 24" b&c and he swapped it for the 18" for me. Sounded like a gd deal? So I jumped on it. What cheap mods can be had? Cheap as in under $100.00. Thanks Dustin.

Attachments

• 20151231_163905.jpg
    20151231_163905.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 123
  • 20151231_163956.jpg
    20151231_163956.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 122
  • 20151231_163929.jpg
    20151231_163929.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
There's a few things you can do, muff mod is one thing then there's a base gasket delete, if you own a Dremel, you can do some porting. Or for about $300 you can send it to a saw porter for a woods port, but I don't think they exist on this site anymore.

Run it!!! With an 18" bar it will be whistling through any wood you put it to. You could open up the muffler and retune but wont see any difference with that bar set up.

Lol. Thanks, chain is brand new. I have a 359 with same b&c combo. I am not very tall, so I feel with larger b&c I am always holding up on saw. I only cut firewood for personal use. Mainly oak, locust and maple.

Lol. Thanks, chain is brand new. I have a 359 with same b&c combo. I am not very tall, so I feel with larger b&c I am always holding up on saw. I only cut firewood for personal use. Mainly oak, locust and maple.

modding a new chain is just as valuable as modding a new saw :D

Yeah my dad worked in woods for 25 plus yrs, he still a lot better then me at sharpening, but i am learning. He harassed me about my huskies a little, he is a stihl guy, I like booth, but was it a gd deal as I thought on this one? I never had a 372 before but all the sports here were positive, so that was gd enough for me.

Yeah my dad worked in woods for 25 plus yrs, he still a lot better then me at sharpening, but i am learning. He harassed me about my huskies a little, he is a stihl guy, I like booth, but was it a gd deal as I thought on this one? I never had a 372 before but all the sports here were positive, so that was gd enough for me.

spend the time with your old Man while you can...NOW.

you can spend the time and money later on the mods and stuff....you'll get more out of the saw with the old man.

PS 372xp is a great saw...love mine and I'm a Stihlhead.

Yeah lost my mom 10 yrs ago, she was 49. So me and dad do a lot together, go to auction, hunt, fish, and cut wood. I nvr saw a tombstone say " great wrker". Family is what matters. I really like the power to weight ratio of the 372, and never know maybe he will be swayed to the huskies a little.lol . His 440 magnum runs strong though, so probably not.

Thanks I will check out the videos, always happy to learn something about my saw. Not counti.g on wRranty for much. In my experience they find any reason they can not to honor it. Course my 359 never needed anything g yet in 8yrs. Just a plug and re tune once I a while.

Nuthin wrong with taking it apart....fully apart every now and again for a clean and refresh. ...Lotta parts need replacing over time...and it may or may not be obvious. ...for now I say run it. That's my vote :)

funny thing, if tuned correctly most saws will run without a refresh til there death. only thing i ever replace usually is a kill switch and choke lever. other then that anything that goes wrong is out of the ordinary. you see things needing to be replaced because you repair them after their death which is after their life cycle. you bring them life after they should be a parts saw lol

funny thing, if tuned correctly most saws will run without a refresh til there death. only thing i ever replace usually is a kill switch and choke lever. other then that anything that goes wrong is out of the ordinary. you see things needing to be replaced because you repair them after their death which is after their life cycle. you bring them life after they should be a parts saw lol
This truly cannot be so.....if your a keyboard logger it is perfectly normal to constantly strip your saws down to get Qtips into places that cannot be seen from the outside. Forum loggers spend many minutes trying different size rims, chains, pricey pro bars to work out the best cutting formula. When this is achieved and every concievable bolt on accessory has been fitted, the saw has done its job and retires into the trading post still not run in with more polishing hours than run time. You need to do this stuff to understand the saws capability so you can advise others on forums.

Back