My next removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get up on the roof with a pole saw and take off the tips. Boxelder is like cutting butter, it's very soft and easy to cut. No power pruner needed.
Then get in the tree and cut pieces off and hand them to the guy on the roof.
This is a two hour job without a crane.
If that tree did break off while you were in it, you'd have a nice soft landing on the roof, 10 or 15 feet away. :)

I agree with Mike. I don't think a crane is needed. It's not accessible anyway. You all had some great insight, and if you don't mind, I'll take a few of everyone's ideas to get this thing down safely. That's the most important thing though, getting it down safely.

Unitl I knock on that trunk, I really won't know. But my 1st impression was to get what's possible from the roof, then climb that ????? and get'er down. You don't need a crane (imo) and if you don't have a bucket truck, don't go rent one just for that tree.

Get'er done Redbull, you'll be glad you did.

Good luck,
BAB

If you do any lowering on that tree make sure there is a lot of stretch in the rope!

And I'd put a crane on it if possible... depending on crane rental prices.. it might be good to piggyback that with another crane removal or three... I have another local arborist that will occasionally split a crane day with..

the reason i think a crane is the way to go is not just to get it done quick but for staying staying safe. the picture is a little difficult to interpret, but it looks like the rot in the trunk is effecting the strength of the part going over the house. if not go ahead and take some of the weight off from the roof and climb it. i like the roof padding idea. that is a technique i have used several times in the past.

Lumberjack said:
We can use ropes and slings over here Ekka.

Must suck to use chains.

You're dead right, it sucks big time, heavy, cumbersome and not much good on the smaller dia stuff.

one can never totally tell from pics, but personally judging by the pics and the rot, i would go the crane route, it would be safest and really easiest if you can find one and afford it. i think no more than 5-6 cuts and that baby's down.

Well thanks for all the replies guys. Unfortunately a crane is not an option here. Too many surrounding trees. I'm going to go the route of working it with a powered pole saw from the roof, then climb when the roof is clear and bomb the wood. It's nice to be able to get some others insight. See, this site ain't so bad ;)

Find the power pruner you want and charge at least that much or more, assuming you can afford it before the job.

I can't really justify the purchase of a power pruner right now. I have other things my business could use instead. I thought about it though. It's just not the right time for one.

From the pictures I agree with Mike Maas. Get your ass up there and cut it down. If you can onehand and throw branches, lay them flat on the deck, no one will know unless they see it done.

I already have permission to be on the roof and let stuff down on the roof. The owner figures a lot less damage will be done by letting me work off the roof then having the whole ???? tree fall on his roof. Smart guy.

Hey red, like everybody said it is very hard to tell by the pics how sturdy the tree is. If you do wind up climbing it I would definately get it done soon before the leaves come on! From what I see in the pics I dont think I would have a problem climbing it myself. If you do any rigging from the tree make sure the guy runnin the ropes does just that- RUNS THE ROPES! By this I mean as you cut a piece and the weight of it transfers to the rope, the ropeman should let the rope slide just a bit so as to not jolt or put any undue stress on the tree.

Cam?

Redbull said:
The tree is scheduled to be removed this Sunday. I'll see if I can teach the Gman to work the Digicam:)
I hope that you tell him the rope work comes first and the pics second. It gives you a great excuse to take a brake to get a pic then back to work. Don't want to hear you messed up to get a pic when the Gman should have been holding the rope instead of the camera.

Well, these are all the pics I got. Would have got more, but we were too focused on getting this tree down. Once we got everything from over the house I dropped the 20' spar between the houses. Everything went smooth. Used the polesaw to take the two lower limbs out, then climbed the rest. Used the snap-cut, put saw up, toss in target area by hand, method. Worked great. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back