My Ported 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little over a month ago I picked up an 046 from an AS member. I wanted a saw that was just a little meaner than my 044 to handle the big stuff. The saw needed some cleaning and minor stuff, but was in generally good condition, and had 175 psi compression.

I added a dp muff cover, HD-2 filter, and even advanced the timing. The saw ran good, but it just did not feel any stronger than my 044. Well, there is not much point in having a bigger/heavier saw if it does not run stronger.

About then I went to the Summer Time NY GTG. I had seen the Smittybilt 660s (2) before, and they are very impressive, but this time Bret also brought a Smittybilt 460. Well I got to run it, and saw Bret (and others) run it, and I was very impressed. So I made arrangements for my 046 to go home with Bret.

You can see the results on youtube at Smittybilt 460. I got to try it out on some wood across the street tonight, and I can tell you it is now both faster and more powerful than the 044. Can't wait to use it on a project, this thing is potent!

This is my first ported saw, and I'm happy as a pig in stuff. I also sent my 362 down to TN today. Hey, my birthday is still a week away, but I felt like I had it today!

A little over a month ago I picked up an 046 from an AS member. I wanted a saw that was just a little meaner than my 044 to handle the big stuff. The saw needed some cleaning and minor stuff, but was in generally good condition, and had 175 psi compression.

I added a dp muff cover, HD-2 filter, and even advanced the timing. The saw ran good, but it just did not feel any stronger than my 044. Well, there is not much point in having a bigger/heavier saw if it does not run stronger.

About then I went to the Summer Time NY GTG. I had seen the Smittybilt 660s (2) before, and they are very impressive, but this time Bret also brought a Smittybilt 460. Well I got to run it, and saw Bret (and others) run it, and I was very impressed. So I made arrangements for my 046 to go home with Bret.

You can see the results on youtube at Smittybilt 460. I got to try it out on some wood across the street tonight, and I can tell you it is now both faster and more powerful than the 044. Can't wait to use it on a project, this thing is potent!

This is my first ported saw, and I'm happy as a pig in stuff. I also sent my 362 down to TN today. Hey, my birthday is still a week away, but I felt like I had it today!

I just got my 362 back today and it is MEAN! I have been emailing Randy and thanking him for the last hour ;)

Congrats on the 046. They are super strong ported. But your 362 will be a beast. I bet you sell at least one of your 044's, to buy a bigger saw, or have the other 044 ported.

My 362 is by far my favorite now. By leaps and bounds!!

20140731_211700.jpg

Congrats on the new 046. I've always wanted one but I've never come across any for sale. :(

I'm getting pretty antsy to get my 064 back from Randy! It should be here Monday morning. :rock:

And my 7900 is on the schedule for Sep. 1. It should be home just in time for my birthday! (Sep. 17) :D

Congrats on the new 046. I've always wanted one but I've never come across any for sale. :(

I'm getting pretty antsy to get my 064 back from Randy! It should be here Monday morning. :rock:

And my 7900 is on the schedule for Sep. 1. It should be home just in time for my birthday! (Sep. 17) :D

I've seen some 064s at the GTG and I'm very impressed, was surprised how many Randy is doing, did not realize there were that many of them out there.

So there will be not need for you to keep both a ported 064 and a ported 7900, so which one are you sending to me? I kinda like Stihls!

Enjoy the saws Clint. FYI, both the 046 I got and another one I did not buy were for sale on AS this year.

I just got my 362 back today and it is MEAN! I have been emailing Randy and thanking him for the last hour ;)

Congrats on the 046. They are super strong ported. But your 362 will be a beast. I bet you sell at least one of your 044's, to buy a bigger saw, or have the other 044 ported.

l would be interested to know your thoughts on the 362 vs 665......l would imagine both having their pro's/con's. Mtronic would be nice on 665 but would love to know how they run side by side.
View attachment 361778

Compression?

View attachment 361778
Hey!! That looks just like mine!! 3/4 wrap sure would be nice?

Just don't start taking all my work. After all........I need another saw to port. :laugh:

If I can ever help you out with timing numbers, specs, anything of the sort, just let me know.

It's great to see more folks doing good work.
Thanks randy I might take you up on that offer sometime...and don't worry its just a hobby..it is whole lot cheaper than racing open mod sleds!

Latest posts

Back