My Ported 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks randy I might take you up on that offer sometime...and don't worry its just a hobby..it is whole lot cheaper than racing open mod sleds!

It started that way for me.......cheaper than drag racing, and something I could do while I was recuperating.

I'm not sure what the hell happened. :popcorn:

When you have a 24" bar fulled buried in hardwood, w/o any skip chain, you often wish for a little more torque than the 044 can provide, especially when going through knots. For some reason, I have found myself in that situation a lot this year. The 044 will get it done, but something with additional grunt will get it done better. And sometimes, it will give you a hair more time to pull it from a pinch.

When you have a 24" bar fulled buried in hardwood, w/o any skip chain, you often wish for a little more torque than the 044 can provide.

I guess I didn't realize how strong my saw was before I put the 46 top on it Mike. The vids I posted of mine is full comp 25.

I always work the starter around to where the resisatnce is easiest and then pull. Where would it be easier to pull from tdc or bottom?

I don't need any paranoia, avoiding stress is one of life's keys. As long as it does what is should when I put it to the wood, it is fine!

Obviously the top end on my original 044 is still doing just fine. Think of how much time I saved by not checking it for 20+ years. That motor has never been apart. When I put the dual port cover on it earlier this year, it was the first time the original cover had been removed.

I don't need any paranoia, avoiding stress is one of life's keys. As long as it does what is should when I put it to the wood, it is fine!

Obviously the top end on my original 044 is still doing just fine. Think of how much time I saved by not checking it for 20+ years. That motor has never been apart. When I put the dual port cover on it earlier this year, it was the first time the original cover had been removed.
Think about it like this. If u start at a certain psi and keep an eye on it then u will know if somethings wrong or the topend is on the downhill?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I like to get a reading whenever I buy or sell a saw... if it's thru the mail I pull the muffler, pull the spark plug, inspect the p&c and check the compression. Usually takes less than 10 minutes.

I pull the cord and pull the muff cover and if everything looks right, feels right, and runs right I don't care what the #s are, they are good enough.

I have no desire to check the actual compression, does nothing for me. If it does not run right, I will figure out what is wrong.

Back