My reflections of A.S.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe. There are certainly a lot of members whose feelings seem to be easily hurt when somebody disagrees with them. There are a lot of inflated egos here too and far too many self proclaimed experts whose only real knowledge comes from what they've learned on this site. That's not all there is. Not nearly.
That's not unusual though, it's merely a continuation of the way things have always been on AS. People come and people go. Saws are a fad for a lot of people and once they get the knowledge they need or their interest dies down they're gone. There are always people to replace them. Always.
Same with saw builders and modifiers. They're here for awhile, reinvent the wheel, make a big splash, and then fade off into some other interest. They're replaced by the next wonder child and things start all over again.
In the meantime, the members fill up pages with bickering and the saw builders argue with and demean each other.
Occasionally there are highly skilled and knowledgeable people on here who give freely of their time and advice but most of them eventually leave. They get tired of being asked their opinion and then argued with when they give their answer. We've lost some of our best members because of that.
I've been seeing the same things and hearing the same complaints since I joined in 2005. I don't see anything changing any time soon.
The thing to remember is that the owners of AS don't have any real interest in the site's quality of content. They're interested in advertising revenue and that's all they really care about. It's a business to them, nothing more. Lots of threads with lots of conversation equals a lot of site traffic and that's what the advertisers want to see. The owners, to a certain extent, encourage the arguing and fighting and rude behavior. It creates traffic. It creates numbers. As long as the numbers are there the owners don't care about the content.
So, those among you who are offended by what goes on here can keep whining and trying to get things to change or you can just accept it for what it is. Or you can get mad and leave. Your replacement is just around the corner.
It's still the best forum for a broad range of topics and expertise. You just have to wade through some crap to find the good stuff.
Deal with it.

That's fine. I guess. But if you do decide to leave would you please take Bradley with you? Please?

qtla

It looks like our resident peace officer left the thread for the donut shop. Lol
Anyway, a cop I sold wood to told me that if someone comes at you with a saw, just throw a jacket or blanket at the bar.
That's the Canadian way. What's the American way?
John

works. caught a tarp w/tip once... theyre gonna feel abt 6" tall standin there w/dead saw....

nothing to add on the topic. stay away from most "new posts", follow a few threads that some of the guys helped me in at first...

Just hypothetically............let's say there were two guys who made money enlarging existing holes in chainsaws. Let's say both of them contributed vast amounts of knowledge and time to an interweb chainsaw forum (as if such a thing would even exist). We'll call them Bad Smelling and Brandy Cottle. If Bad Smelling fairly frequently complained about being mistreated by a 9 fingered, piss-soaked mental Pygmy (who somehow has a beautiful family) and his band of ursine riff-raff, causing Brandy Cottle to immediately defend said hooligans by reminding Bad Smelling of every personal and saw related failure he has ever had......Or if Brandy Cottle often made references to Bad's allegedly discredited method of saw performance enhancement, causing Bad to get defensive and whiny.......it would get old in a hurry. Especially if they were both successful and mature enough to know better.

These characters are fictional. Any resemblance to real persons is purely coincidental

qtla

Well done

I had to look back at my profile to see when I joined.....I just remember being excited to find a place to see more saws that I was interestered in....I think the format change and the crash caused a lot of changes I so stay fairly clear of the this vs that threads and when I respond try to keep on the positive. My biggest thing is if I see a post where the op is experiencing something similar to what I experienced or fixed I try to kick in a bit weather it be a different fix or some encouragement the they will figure it out....I still like this site quite a bit and it is the only site I visit on a regular basis except when life get too busy i'm glad it's here but like life it has it' ups and downs....

sap can

We all got flamed at least once when we were new. The new guy hasta peel the potatoes. That's just pecking order. It builds character. Yeah, it happens more often now. But with more frequency comes less volume. Lotsa little jabs doesn't hurt as much as some of the lambastings I got when I was an ignorant new guy, some 4 to 5 years ago. I paid. Now I can play a little bit. Ya know?

Anyone who's worked in any kind of shop environment knows this to be true. Simply nature.
It's not just the new guys that get flamed...just say something here that someone doesn't agree with and you'll hear it. I get a bit aggravated when people call me names when they don't even know me. The last time it happened I took about a year off and went to other sites. There are sites on the 'net that seem to have more respect for their members..

It's not just the new guys that get flamed...just say something here that someone doesn't agree with and you'll hear it. I get a bit aggravated when people call me names when they don't even know me. The last time it happened I took about a year off and went to other sites. There are sites on the 'net that seem to have more respect for their members..
Yeah I know what ya mean. I left too for a bit after some jerk0ff mouthed off at me for no reason. But, like you, I'm back. :) Glutton for punishment I suppose.

These taste better imho. Steelhead mo' funner to fight tho. These are bitin' right now, just gotta drill through 8-10" of ice to gettum.Screenshot_2015-01-30-14-58-22.pngScreenshot_2015-01-30-20-03-15-1.png

Pics?

check. And man do they taste good out of thirty three degree water! Talk about fresh fish!

Life is GOOD here, been catching some NICE Steelhead! :dancing: :cheers:
Life is GOOD here, been catching some NICE Steelhead! :dancing: :cheers:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-30-20-03-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-20-03-15.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-20-03-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-20-03-15.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 28
These taste better imho. Steelhead mo' funner to fight tho. These are bitin' right now, just gotta drill through 8-10" of ice to gettum.View attachment 399485View attachment 399487

Pics?

check. And man do they taste good out of thirty three degree water! Talk about fresh fish!
I caught another female Steelhead about 3 hrs ago, 12 lbs of RAW fight! :happy:

One day I'll figure out how to post pics without looking like a dum dum:badpc:

Back