My swedish candle~learned from here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,This is my very first post. I discovered the candles about a year and a half ago. I just make three cuts down the center of the log so you end up with six pie shaped sections, when I get about two inches from bottom then dish out the inside so your acelarent does'nt run out.
BTW I've tried selling them at my shop at the MN Ren Fest but did not sell well because people did'nt like the fact they are a one time use.

Mark

you sure thats possible??????????:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah......................I'd have gone with "almost as big a waste as" or something similar. Alcohol abuse (spilling beer) is a high crime.................and is certainly wasteful.............................but doesn't come close to what those boobs are doing...:agree2:

Jah, suure, after watching Cedarkerf fight his saw, I tink I'll yust make a standard, boooring kind. Yust haven't had the right weather fer sawing, hey.
I tink a friend has a hemlock dat'll work. I vant tu make a taller one, more draw, mebbe less smoke drift, hey.

Gots tu talk Scandihoovian ven tinkin' about der candles.:)

Full comp chain make a world of differance much smoother

The girls and I did ours last night in the backyard. It worked perfectly and we did hot dogs, hot links, polish sausages and smores over it.

Thanks again Bubbles up, you're the man...:cheers:

Stew

The girls and I did ours last night in the backyard. It worked perfectly and we did hot dogs, hot links, polish sausages and smores over it.

Thanks again Bubbles up, you're the man...:cheers:

Stew

Did you cut a vertical slot in it, or did you cut a big square out of the center like Bubbles did?
I'm guessing that after it burns an hour or two a slotted one would open up like Bubbles' was to start with.

Did you cut a vertical slot in it, or did you cut a big square out of the center like Bubbles did?
I'm guessing that after it burns an hour or two a slotted one would open up like Bubbles' was to start with.

this one Brian made burned an hour or two and then broke through too

CIMG1221.jpg

I've done a couple of these lately with just two cuts down the sides of dry wood. Stopped about four inches from the bottom and then bored an inch into the bottom. from the top, looks like +. Added lighter fluid and let it soak in few minutes, then added more fluid and lit it. Works great and lasts for several hours. Key to this is making sure the wood is dry.

p.s. - Did I mention that the wood needs to be dry? Hope so, cause it needs to be dry.

I went with the vertical slots and It worked great. I like the looks of bubbles' setup better but in the interest of being new at this I went vertical. The girls absolutely loved it and we did it right here in a neighborhood backyard.

:cheers: again ,bubbles up!

I picked up a pine round last night on patrol. Its about 24" long and about 18" wide. I took my 440 and cut it from the top down in a six piece pie. I stopped 5" from the bottom. I then ran the tip in the middle of the pie to form a depression for my lighter fluid. I had to work at those cuts and I thought maybe my chain was dull. But I cut some locust afterward into 18" sections and the saw rocked right through it like butter. The style of cut to make the Swedish Candle must be hard on the saw. Does anyone have any idea how long I need this piece of pine to season that I have set up as a Swedish Candle? I'm in the Mid Atlantic region.

Thats awesome! I've never seen or heard of anything like it. Now i have an excuse to play with chainsaws and burn #### at the same time!

I picked up a pine round last night on patrol. Its about 24" long and about 18" wide. I took my 440 and cut it from the top down in a six piece pie. I stopped 5" from the bottom. I then ran the tip in the middle of the pie to form a depression for my lighter fluid. I had to work at those cuts and I thought maybe my chain was dull. But I cut some locust afterward into 18" sections and the saw rocked right through it like butter. The style of cut to make the Swedish Candle must be hard on the saw. Does anyone have any idea how long I need this piece of pine to season that I have set up as a Swedish Candle? I'm in the Mid Atlantic region.
Way to go man, while you're playing with your wood the turds are carrying off half your damn district. How are you properly serving the citizens and their many tax dollars that fund your exorbitant salary and plush retirement fund. You should have been patrolling instead of goofing off! I know this because I spent a third of my shift looking for a good pine round too...:hmm3grin2orange:

Way to go man, while you're playing with your wood the turds are carrying off half your damn district. How are you properly serving the citizens and their many tax dollars that fund your exorbitant salary and plush retirement fund. You should have been patrolling instead of goofing off! I know this because I spent a third of my shift looking for a good pine round too...:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL. Searching for wood now has me patrolling more areas and less coffee shops at the speed limit or less. I am also the "Go To" Sergeant when we have any downed trees with the 028 Super in my trunk. I do get some strange looks from the guys when I suit up in the chaps. It has renewed my interest in the job!

LOL. Searching for wood now has me patrolling more areas and less coffee shops at the speed limit or less. I am also the "Go To" Sergeant when we have any downed trees with the 028 Super in my trunk. I do get some strange looks from the guys when I suit up in the chaps. It has renewed my interest in the job!

I'm jealous...:givebeer:

We are hiring.:cheers:

In today's economy? That's amazing. Over here on the left coast, where the local goverments all spent every dime that was coming during the fat times (and commited to spending that amount or more for all of eternity........even during the lean times such as now) there are not hirings, but layoffs (80 officers in Oakland, despite the fact that its a war zone) and constant attacks on our existing contracts. It's concessions, concessions, concessions. Doesn't matter that we 'gave back' in our last contract negotiations.............now they wanna get more concessions from us, and the Public Defender is trying to have our retirement contributions and dependant benefits altered. WTF business is it of his??? He's obviously got pollitical asperations...:chainsaw:

We're getting villainized daily in the press for acualy having good retirement programs (which statistics show we'll enjoy for about 18 months before croaking), medical benefits, and such. There's a jackass in the local paper that yearly lists the guys that torture themselves doing tons of overtime and actualy have the nerve to get paid for it (like as if they're stealing from the city coffers). If that jerk is so jealous of what those guys are making, then HE can work seven doubles a week and die at age 45 of a heart attack. We were hiring at the time he was doing his 'investigative reporting'. He is just incensed that an 'uneducated' blue collar moron can make as much as he does...

I'd love to move the heck outa Ca. It's just not financialy possible right now with the family and the homestead. My FIL is in New Hampshire and was pushing me to get hired there too. Again, not possible unfortunately. Got almost 13 years in here, and can't risk throwing that away in this job market. I'm also not in "market shape" as I've let myself slide, being on midnights too long. Just switched to swings, and am trying to get some of this "winter coat" off. Back to the gym...:deadhorse:

One of these days I may just throw an old Homelite in the back of a car and see what I can find that needs bucking. Probably the day before I retire...unless I win the Lotto first...:cheers:

Whoa! What happened here. Got on me soapbox for a spell I guess...:angrysoapbox:

Boy did I ever flee far from topic this time. Sorry gents...

But it was interesting. Always fascinating to watch someone flee on foot from the original topic. :) :)

Glad somebody enjoyed it. Had to release a bit of pent up crapola I guess.

OK...............back on topic. Gonna dig through the piles this weekend and pick out a few rounds to tinker with. This 'sveedish candle' thingee is intriguing...:cheers:

Back