My truck isn't designed to haul wood.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you want ot haul some weight, go gooseneck.

my crew cab is 8k empty, trailer 5k. tows SWEET.

went once to get some gravel, and they overloaded me a touch. went across the scales at 16t. only was going abotu 3 miles, and did it at 10 mph.

but 8k of load is a no brainer. sure she's heavy, but not unsafe if you are careful.

if i want, i can put 4 cords of firewood in the trailer. that means only 25 trips to deliver if i could get all my custoemrs to buy 4 cords each.

Git'r dun.

DSC01925.jpg

A load of elm, and oak, on my little wheelbarrow, '98sonoma,4cyl,5spd,2wd. When loaded for openroad travel, then I keep it in rounds or big quarters. Was getting a couple loads into the basement last minute before the snow storm came.

wdchuck said:
DSC01925.jpg

A load of elm, and oak, on my little wheelbarrow, '98sonoma,4cyl,5spd,2wd. When loaded for openroad travel, then I keep it in rounds or big quarters. Was getting a couple loads into the basement last minute before the snow storm came.

Good timing wdchuck. If you had got caught in the snow, it looks like you would have had no problems with rear wheel traction.

Freakingstang said:
Looks just like mine, only I got the police attracting red version....

The springs on the newer half tons are pathetic compared to the older versions. Yes, they might ride nice, but the hauling capacity is about nill.

I installed an extra leaf under the stock springs and then added aset of helpers to the topside. Makes a heck of a difference hauling my 16" car trailer or 16" wood trailer. I have since put a hard tonneua cover on it and the bed capacity is limited to the amount of saws I bring to the woods with me.. lol

Looks like a properly loaded Chevrolet to me. I run a '91 2500 light duty (7200gvw) that has 220,000 on it. 5.7 v-8 and a 5 speed manual box. I have abused the heck out of this truck hauling wood and pulling trees out of the woods and it just keeps on going...

Beaver

I use my 99 Dakota 6cyl 4x4, does fine even over-loaded. I'm able to drive a load out over a foot of snow wth chains on it. Mostly do firewood as a fundraiser for my Scout troop. However, the buggers have moved on from breaking maul handles to my rear window! I just had a custom headache rack plus rails and sockets for wood sides made at a local machine shop. I just painted it with multiple coats of primer and flat black paint, and it looks sweet. I'll have to post a pic. With the sides on, it should hold 3/4 cord.

bks044 said:
I use a 95 f-2504x4 351 10 ply tiers. A load of cedar for my wife rustic furniture.

Nice truck. I'd like to get one like it to pull a 18' car hauler trailer (with wood sides) for firewood. Actually, would really like a 95 F-350 4x4, reg. cab, long box, single rear wheel, diesel. I believe 95 is when the Powerstroke was introduced.

Kevin

my preferance is cummin turbo diesel truck. but a friend has an old ford 3/4 ton diesel seems like forever. rugged as they come! he's been real pleased.

KMB said:
Nice truck. I'd like to get one like it to pull a 18' car hauler trailer (with wood sides) for firewood. Actually, would really like a 95 F-350 4x4, reg. cab, long box, single rear wheel, diesel. I believe 95 is when the Powerstroke was introduced.

Kevin

046 said:
my preferance is cummin turbo diesel truck. but a friend has an old ford 3/4 ton diesel seems like forever. rugged as they come! he's been real pleased.

+1. Go figure :laugh:

I had an '80 GMC 3/4 ton, 350, T-400, 235 85 R16 tires. I loaded that truck down with birch firewood I hi-graded behind a city dump where I was doing utility work. I had to drive through the scale on the way out, well over 10k. Those old Chev/GMC 3/4 tons from the '70s sure can take it, $1100 Canadian for her, awesome. Done this kind of thing many times with '79-'80 3/4 tons, in '81 they got all cheap with the rear axle on 3/4 tons, most of them are like fat 1/2 tons rear ends, semi-floating, weak.

046 said:

I don't know much about diesel trucks, learning though. From what I've read from different sources, it sounds like a Cummins in a Ford truck would be a nice set up. If my 'firewood-on-the-side' picks up and I really need a bigger, tougher truck - I'll have to do a lot of research to decide on either a Ford Powerstroke (3/4 or 1 ton) or a Dodge Cummins (3/4 or 1 ton).

Kevin

WoodTick007 said:
Next time you load your truck and trailer....why don't you take a photo and post it. I know nothing about this model...but if you can load a truck and trailer of wood and only drop a little bit.... I am very impressed. I have a 96 f-250 with beefed up springs, airbag helpers and If I load up the trailer and truck it still will sit down a bit more than I like. I have went across the scales with 1.5 ton of wood in the truck and 4 ton wood on the trailer plus the weight of the trailer (1800lbs). Perhaps I should get rid of Ole Red and buy a newer truck.

Heres some pics. Like I stated earlier, I dont use the truck bed to haul. I leave the bed for gear, and put everything in the trailer.

My trailer has approx 100CF of capacity, which is whats shown here.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats about a 50/50 mix of White Ash and White Oak. The White Oak is still very wet, the Ash not so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back