Need a new chainsaw tonight-Best bet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't do it to either but........

"Remember that all Stihl® chainsaws come with a "no strings" 7-Day Money Back Guarantee"

And buy a Stihl and return it when you are done and say you are not happy with it then
Well if he buys a stihl he is probably going to end up liking it better than the Echo he has sitting at home. He'd want to keep it and sell the Echo once he returns home. My suggestion above was to keep him from second guessing himself on which one to return.

a 455 rancher is about the best your gonna do from a box store,not really a bad saw,just kinda poor in the power to weight ratio.A 350 may be the better saw,Ive never owned one,but have owned a 55 rancher.If by some chance you come across a 670 Echo at a box store,DO NOT BUY IT.Quite possibly the biggest piece of #### you will ever take hold of.Heavy,slow,weak,and will vibrate the snot out of ya .Just my opinion

So you were joking like me bccordi?

Or is it OK to cheat a box store with a "POS" saw but not OK to cheat a Stihl dealer on a "real" saw?

Last edited:
I agree.......I was commenting on things that I have seen done and people do sometimes think it is OK to do something like this with what they consider a POS but would never think of doing it with a REAL saw

It's not ok to cheat anyone - shows low moral fiber and lack of integrity..

+1 It ends up hurting everyone other than the cheater. The merchant (whether big box or pro saw shop) gets a bite taken out of its margin and the honest customer has to pay higher prices to cover the cost of the cheater.

You see.....

I had an out if he did try what I had originally suggested sarcastically since Home Depot is not allowed to sell broken items from their rental stock it is different in policy than their actual sales practice.

You would not have been able to buy the blown up saw from them anyway most likely due to liability issues involved with their rental insurance carrier.

Yes my suggestion was also supposed to be a joke that ended up running rampant. I don't believe it would be a moral thing to do either.

Last Guy to walk out of Lowe's

Went to Lowe's because they close at 11pm and because of being pointed toward the Husky.Not a whole lot of selection or choice.I bought a:

Husky 455,20"

Saw was $399,bought a chain,a plug some files,chain oil and stuff.A little under $500 by the time it was done.

What's this thing gonna be like? Am I gonna be OK with it,or should I prepare my BS return excuse now?

I picked up gas,I'm going to unpack this thing and get it ready for the a.m.
I'm dying to start it.Is there some kind of fancy chainsaw etiquette about starting a saw after midnite? How bout before 6am?What is preferred?

Went to Lowe's because they close at 11pm and because of being pointed toward the Husky.Not a whole lot of selection or choice.I bought a:

Husky 455,20"

Saw was $399,bought a chain,a plug some files,chain oil and stuff.A little under $500 by the time it was done.

What's this thing gonna be like? Am I gonna be OK with it,or should I prepare my BS return excuse now?

I picked up gas,I'm going to unpack this thing and get it ready for the a.m.
I'm dying to start it.Is there some kind of fancy chainsaw etiquette about starting a saw after midnite? How bout before 6am?What is preferred?

Anytime is a good time to run a saw in my book. You should be happy with the husky. There's better options for that price, but given the time crunch, I think that was probably your safest bet.

Congrats on the new saw!! :cheers:

really not a bad saw for the money,keep it sharp it cuts pretty good.Just kinda heavy and awkward.For the same money,I woulda recommended a Stihl 270,but that was out of the question cause box stores dont sell em,but the Husky is a good saw

Latest posts

Back