Need a new chainsaw tonight-Best bet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't checked depot's return policy lately, but a couple of years ago the depot store I was in stopped accepting returns on small engine equipment. Equipment that was damaged was sent off for service. Seems we were losing a lot of money to all the dishonest thieves who would buy a tool, use it a few days, and then "break" it or "change their mind." #######s like this are eroding our society.

.... What's this thing gonna be like? Am I gonna be OK with it,or should I prepare my BS return excuse now? ...

Heavy for the power - a 350 would have been better for 12" trees - but maybe they didn't have one.......

It is a pity that you didn't get in contact with Scott, and a 5100S - that would have been a keeper........

Last edited:
And yes

I also knew that Stihl no longer offers the 7 day no strings return policy

The biggest two found out those return policies were too much of a temptation for less than honorable folk

*this new trolling rig and bait set up is working pretty good*

Last edited:

The biggest two found out those return policies were too much of a temptation for less than honorable folk.

No wonder - this tread points heavily in that direction, even if all those suggestions were jokes - the temptation is/was obvious.....

The biggest two found out those return policies were too much of a temptation for less than honorable folk

I didn't think Stihl policy ever was "no-strings" althought for all intents it is (just has the dealer as part of the equation... "what do you mean "satisfaction"?). It's still 7 days.. and as far as I know, nothing has changed in the past few years. We take a couple back a year , but usually in exchange for a different model (often smaller or easier to pull). It's easy to spot the crooks that try to "rent for free" - we just say " no, take it up with Stihl", and they never do - the "string"...

On the other hand, I heard that Husky dropped their return policy. Can any Husky dealer confirm that

I haven't checked depot's return policy lately, but a couple of years ago the depot store I was in stopped accepting returns on small engine equipment. Equipment that was damaged was sent off for service. Seems we were losing a lot of money to all the dishonest thieves who would buy a tool, use it a few days, and then "break" it or "change their mind." #######s like this are eroding our society.

Last spring we had some real heavy rains. Was in HD in the plumbing section, and noticed one of those moving shelve carts full of returned sump pumps. About 40 or so on the cart, about $45 each if I recall.

Asked the HD clerk that was helping me what it was all about. He said it was the HD rental department. I said "This HD does not have a rental department". He then explained to me how people purchase the pumps for the storm then returned it after they were done. All for a $45 dollar pump. Will not go into the part were he mentioned the type of customer that was doing it.

Terrible to think though that this is cost that the honest folk will have to burden.

Last edited:
reply to spacemule

You know spacemule that is what is nice about being a logger or any other hard working blue coller, you get up early go to work and work hard come home tired and feeling good about your self and what you have done and to hell with the low lifes that do not work hard or do not work at all and do what ever they can to rip us off.

Last spring we had some real heavy rains. Was in HD in the plumbing section, and noticed one of those moving shelve carts full of returned sump pumps. About 40 or so on the cart, about $45 each if I recall.

Asked the HD clerk that was helping me what it was all about. He said it was the HD rental department. I said "This HD does not have a rental department". He then explained to me how people purchase the pumps for the storm then returned it after they were done. All for a $45 dollar pump. Will not go into the part were he mentioned the type of customer that was doing it.

Terrible to think though that this is cost that the honest folk will have to burden.

Yup, it sucks. I have no problem with someone buying something with the intention of keeping it and then it legitimately breaks and they return it or they are simply not happy with it and return it. They should be able to retun the item. Thing is, it's impossible to tell who's being truthful and who is lying. After being in retail a while, you see so much crap, fraudulent returns, empty packages hidden behind boxes, whiny customers, items returned with parts missing, items returned with a rock in the box and the cashier didn't open the box and check, you start viewing all customers as suspect and they have to prove their integrity to you. I hate that feeling.

You know spacemule that is what is nice about being a logger or any other hard working blue coller, you get up early go to work and work hard come home tired and feeling good about your self and what you have done and to hell with the low lifes that do not work hard or do not work at all and do what ever they can to rip us off.

I thought the sawmills tried to screw you guys. :cheers:

Yup, it sucks. I have no problem with someone buying something with the intention of keeping it and then it legitimately breaks and they return it or they are simply not happy with it and return it. They should be able to retun the item. Thing is, it's impossible to tell who's being truthful and who is lying. After being in retail a while, you see so much crap, fraudulent returns, empty packages hidden behind boxes, whiny customers, items returned with parts missing, items returned with a rock in the box and the cashier didn't open the box and check, you start viewing all customers as suspect and they have to prove their integrity to you. I hate that feeling.

True. After thinking about my last post, I also though of something else. I recently returned a electric tool to HD. I sort of felt like I was getting the third degree even though my intentions were more then honorable. Tool was rated at 15amps and was tripping a 20amp breaker constantly.

So now we are not only paying more for dishonest folk, but we have to put up with a hard time returning something. Oh well. Game of life I suppose.

Are you serious????

WTF!?!?!?

Yes. Went to sell a $500 tile cutting saw to a customer, and happened to open it up and make sure it was complete. There was a big rock in the box. The item had been returned and the cashier did not check. Now tell me if all the "jokes" about stealing are funny.

I was just glad that we checked the box before the customer took the item. Would you have believed him if he came in and told you there was a rock in the box and nothing else? Take that as a lesson, ALWAYS OPEN THE BOX BEFORE YOU TAKE THE THING HOME. You would be surprised if you knew how many thieves there are.

Had the same up here in NY Lowes....there was a concrete block in the box......and Lowes did nothing about it

I hope you keep your ethics and morals when you enter into your practice upon your graduation spacemule.....

God knows
We could use more lawyers like you

Spacemule,
It is hard for the saw mills to screw us anymore! They pay us by the ton. It is the forest service that make it hard but we do not do much work for them any more thanks to our think green people. The fs will not let us cut anything over 20 " dbh. With the timber price's so low most of the sawmills are chipping there wood for pulp they are paying about $50.00 per ton for the stuff. Last winter before we got shut down for break up we were sending clean white pine and spruce for pulp.

Obviously since you dont have a saw already you dont use one very often. As such, the 455 ought to last you a good 10-12 years provided you take care of it and use sharp chain, good fuel, and drain the old fuel out when its gonna sit. Use Husky oil and enjoy. If you throw it in the shed and get it out in five years dont be surprised if you have a hiccup or two

Performance Update

I worked with the HUSKY 455 Yesterday AND.....

It worked well

Engine ran OK,machine cut OK,chain held up well (didn't have to sharpen with about 4 hours running time,still cut well).Still have to get the feel for making it a "one pull",that surprized me a bit.It seemed to want some choke even after sitting for less than 20 mins. on a warm dayI'm pretty cautious with choke/priming.

For a 20" saw,power was,well OK.Adequate.Nothing to get excited about,or be really disappointed with.Biggest thing I cut was about 16".Not really sure how it would do on anything larger,didn't seem to have a whole lot more left.

Balance was OK.Saw for me felt about what a 20" should feel like weight wise.Could use just a touch more power for the weight.Not bad.

Definately not one to make you say "Whoa!" or think "POS".

I guess the thing that will make this saw a keeper or not is how it holds up over time,like anything else.If it runs and cuts like this in 5 years,you would have to be happy with the saw.This saw could be that "old reliable,good cutting saw".Just not one to go nuts over.

But with a few mods......Suggestions?(serious ones please,LOL!)

Obviously since you dont have a saw already you dont use one very often. As such, the 455 ought to last you a good 10-12 years provided you take care of it and use sharp chain, good fuel, and drain the old fuel out when its gonna sit. Use Husky oil and enjoy. If you throw it in the shed and get it out in five years dont be surprised if you have a hiccup or two
He has an echo that he mentions in post #1, but its 100 miles away so that wasn't an option.

Back