need a real light saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 025 for my limbing & the tree tops we cut. I always keep a nice sharp chain on it. My bro-in-law insist on using an 056 for the same wood I'm cutting not 20-ft. from him.
He is quick outa the gate but not very long on stamina. I can & do cut all day long with a smaller saw.

lightest saw that's got guts is MS200T or MS200 rear handle. drawback is price... MS200 is high $$$ and hard to find to boot.

keep an eye out for an old 021 Stihl ... it's virtually identical in weight and HP to MS200. both 34cc ... MS200 rated 2.2HP... 021 rated 2.0HP.

both run pico chain with 16in bar nicely...
021 has plastic chain guard vs metal for MS200.

look for an 021 with low hours ... they should be available for under $175... catch is to find one.

just found one with super low hours on craigslist for dirt cheap. with a nice sharp chain, this 021 keeps up with my MS200T. IMHO 021 would make an excellent tree saw, if rear handle is required.

have you tried limbing with an 026/260 yet?
346 and 260 are the standard limbing saws for pro's

Last edited:
thanks guys

to all you guys who have posted, thanks so much for the info! I am going to take some good advice here, first of all i think i might go to a 16 bar instead of a 18. i will probably reach less and that will help my back. i talked to my husky dealer and as some said, not ,much in the husky line up any lighter. seems alot of light saws are junk. he recomends that i look at a echo or a sawana, cant remember exact name. will stop by after work and check out these two saws. someone said i should go to three saws, and i think i will, if my darling wife lets me, ha. i will let you guys know how i make out and thanks again for the advice!:chainsawguy:

is there a big weight difference btween the 455 and the 361 ?? I know the 361 is a better saw but the weight cant be that different , can it ?
MD

probably just my imagination, it does seem a little lighter, although not by much, i know the 310 does seem lighter with the 18inch bar

If the dealer mentioned Echo then he probably also mentioned Shindaiwa as Echo recently "merged" with Shindaiwa.

Shindaiwa 360

attachment.php

Shindaiwa 377
attachment.php

Shindaiwa 377
attachment.php

Husqy does make a 339xp

8.8 pound powerhead and 2.4 hp

I put a 13" bar and use a .325NK chain.

got a saw

hey alderman, i picked up a 377 shindaiwa today, works great! soooooooooo much lighter than the 340 husky, i hope to make alot of wood with it. i cut into a piece of shagbark hickory and it buzzed it up quick like. not a bad price to. i have been a husky man for yrs but i might be converted yet. i looked at a few echos too, very light with lots of snap. hope my bak likes it , we are gonna cut tommorrow! thanks again everyone for all your help.:greenchainsaw:

Want light weight with power ? Look around for a good used pro Stihl 009L.:clap:
It's my go-to tree and light limbing saw with top handle, 14" bar. A little barker that I've used for a couple of decades. Fits well in a backpack for trail work. Yes, it is slow on anything over 12" dia. , but for an injured back it stays close to the body, cuts fine with a good semi-chisel, NON-safety chain.:cheers:

Homelite 240

I scored a Homelite 240 on CL that was in great shape. I pulled the 16" bar and put on a 14" bar that I had thinking this would give some umph to the older saw. I runs great and I never realized how productive a lighter saw can be when cleaning up fence rows.

Go to your nearest STIHL dealer and try them all... You,ll probley leave with a MS 170 , MS 180 , MS 192 ,, If your not cutting for a living these saws will last ya many years. And be easy on your back.

MS180 stihl with a muffler mod -small and nimble weighs 8 pounds and runs at about 15,000 rpms it can cut good size wood too

had my new saw out today, wHAT A GREAT LITTLE RIPPER! cut some red oak and shagbark hickory and was very inpresed with haw much she has for 33cc. but the best part is my back is happy and i am pleasantly optimistic about cutting agian.brought the tracor out and skidded some real nice logs out of the bush. they were knocked over awhile ago so i limbed them up and now they r one step closer to the stove. will post some picks when i figure out how.

Latest posts

Back