Need Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ut_volunteer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First, let me apologize for being wordy but have lots of questions.

Trying to make a good decision for first saw purchase.
Had a Poulan hand-me -down when I lived in Florida.
Served me well during my first seven hurricanes.

Just recently purchased 17 acre mini-farm in middle Tn.
Large hill with 10 -12 acres pasture, most of the land is cleared except around the heavily tree'd perimeter.

The saw would be mostly used to cut low hanging branches which don't allow me to bushhog closer to the property edges. Need to clear Ford 3930 tractor canopy.There are a few downed trees/large limbs that need to be cut up before removal but very few. No bigger than 10-12" diameter. Lots of those "mock orange/devil wood" trees.

I have read tons of posts in this forum and consequently learned about importance of good dealer.

I have looked at mostly Stihl, Echo, Red Max and Husqvarna saws/polesaws.
There is a Dolmar dealer but fairly far away, have not visited.
There's dealers for all the others fairly close by.

Have read on various posts about high cost of Stihl parts but good availabilty.

Wondered if Echo 5 year warranty vs Stihl 1 year warranty and lower initial cost should override Stihl purchase.

The problem with chainsaws are:
1. Weight - long days of cutting perimeter branches, thought weight of chainsaw would need to be light.
2. Read where one should not cut above height of shoulders. Maybe drive my old Toyota Tacoma 4x4 as close as possible to edges and stand in bed of truck to cut limbs. Good idea?

The problem with with pole saws:
1. All seem to be fairly heavy, awkward.
2. Would require second saw although could borrow chainsaw for trees/large limbs, just hate to borrow.

Budget: Would like to stay below $500.

Note: Am really surprised at Ebay winning bid prices - seem very high on Stihl saws compared to new.

Appreciate your advice.

Just recently purchased 17 acre mini-farm in middle Tn.
Large hill with 10 -12 acres pasture, most of the land is cleared except around the heavily tree'd perimeter.

makes me want to move away from this flat land i been around for 39 years it gets old after awhile i miss going to the mountains and just smelling the fresh air in the early morning hrs

if you are looking for a good used saw i am going to be working on a mac saw hopefully to get it running then its up for sell i also will have some trimmers refurbished etc. im tired of being bored around the shop nothing to work on etc. just got done with a customers tanaka outboard engine

well i thought i welcome you here since your first post

calvin

Thanks for the welcome. Didn't realize NC had flat land. Used to visit Maggie Valley, Lake Junaluska, and Sliding Rock in NC a long time ago. Loved the mountains! If you got kids, visit Sliding Rock. Its a naturally formed rock slide into ice cold mountain water.

We just moved from the Florida Keys about two years ago, after 7 hurricanes boss finally said she had had e'nuff. At the new home in TN, we typically see about 7 or 8 deer a day with a few turkeys, hawks, rabbits thrown in for good measure. Miss the ocean but not the 60 truck loads of debris to haul away after each hurricane.

Thanks for the offer of the Mac but I want to buy new locally so repairs hopefully won't be an issue. I admit visiting a few pawn shops but most of it looked well used (that's being kind). Enjoy the rest of the day and appreciated you for my first response.

Image file attached is aerial shot of property before house built, shows tree lines, etc.

Got to go for now, bush hog time in Tennessee!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back