Need expert advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chronic1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a very large Blue Spruce approx 40" Dia. that has fallen on a house. Resedential area, powerlines, phone etc. The Butt log is left, and its massive. I can get a crane in, but not for several days. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stabilize it so I can cut it ?

Thanks in advance.

I AM the professional. Jesus, what have I gotten myself into.

Won't have pics ntil tomorrow, just shoot me.

Maybe I could use a car jack to hold up this two ton tree. Stack a couple of rounds underneath it ? Run away !

No flames. You want expert advice, but we read 5 seconds worth of question with no picture and your intent was for us to help you out. We want to, really. We'll wait til tomorrow.

Good point. It's just one of those jobs that is frustrating the ???? out of me. I'm not a hack, I take safety very very seriously. I got sucked into this deal, I tend to shoot first and ask questions later. I had a safe plan at first, or so I thought. It became painfully evident that it would take a crane to safely finish this job off.

Believe me, the thought crossed my mind to grab the saw and let 'er rip just like the old days. Egads.

Sorry, just the way i took your initial post was that you sounded like some noob/homeowner/hack who has gotten himself in over his head.

Since you're the pro though I'd look into using over head rigging points(if there are any and possibly hooking up a grcs(comprende?). But that might not work in your situation. Like tm said not much we can tell you until we see pics.

How about a log loader with a good operator? You could pick off the last of it in a couple pieces or even just one. We pick pieces off the stub like that all the time. The other thing you could do is (if there is room) cut a very open notch, (after tying a stout bull rope to the top of the butt log and attaching it to a truck of sufficient weight) and pull the butt log back away from the house. BUT don't lose the hinge when you do that.

He mentioned power and phone lines. Who knows what other landscape issues there are. Notch and pullover was my first initial gut instinct, but without pics?????

I'm imagining a giant trunk leaning against a house, with no top, and the stump partially uprooted. However, that's just the image I have from the information given. The degree of lean will have a lot to do with how it's done.

"I'm imagining a giant trunk leaning against a house, with no top, and the stump partially uprooted" BINGO.

That's exactly what it is.

As far as overhead points.....nada. I wish it were so. Once you see the pics you'll understand. It's very tight.

I really appreciate the info people, it's giving me some more stuff to think about. Thanks a lot. This has been very humbling, the local news was there for gods sake.

Latest posts

Back