Need expert advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notch and pull over ......god I wish I could have done that. It punched about seven holes through different parts of the house. I was on the roof, removed as much as I could. Got it so the log was hanging about 2 foot onto the house, still had branches around the trunk helping to stabilize it.

The renters are at a hotel, the first crane company flaked on me, the second told me they couldn't help me. I had this crazy idea that I could make a large notch on the top near the base, then undercut it...clunk. Do it again and so forth, until it was manageable. There is nothing to tie into above it and where it landed is in a corner near the front porch. It's clear of the 220, but hanging on cable and telephone. I was exhausted, taped the area off and re-evaluated the situation. I can't stop thinking about it, it's driving me nuts. I'm dreading it.

"How about a log loader with a good operator? You could pick off the last of it in a couple pieces or even just one. We pick pieces off the stub like that all the time. The other thing you could do is (if there is room) cut a very open notch, (after tying a stout bull rope to the top of the butt log and attaching it to a truck of sufficient weight) and pull the butt log back away from the house. BUT don't lose the hinge when you do that."

Could you elaborate on this idea ? If I pulled it away from the house, it would do more damage due to it being in a corner. There is no room. A log loader sounds like a good idea, but again, it's so tight, high voltage on one side, service drop on another, stone wall and road. AND and identical tree right next to it. I thought about rigging into it but it's 2 foot away from a power line.

Even if I get the crane in there, I'm not sure how to attack the log itself. I'm sure where it crashed onto the house it's unstable, If I cut it at the bottom god knows what kind of fury will be unleashed. If I take it from the top I'll be risking life and limb, that is if I'm cutting from the house. It's ugly.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback. I've done my share of tree work, I should have passed this one up.

I'll be checking this thread on and off, anymore ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like quite a pickle, and hard to offer advice without pics. With no overhead rigging points and no crane or overhead lifting access, your only option may be jacking it up from the bottom, but that depends on the remaining root ball stability. good luck.

I'm questioning why you could build a fulcrum under the tree and start cutting toothpicks and throwing them out one at a time until your out. Its going to take a while but standing there looking at it is going to take a while too. :)

I'm going to the job site to get picture right now. it will be an hour. 9 am mountain time.

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the expert feedback. Thanks. You'll see what I' m talking about soon.

I'm not undestanding this jack thing. With the trunk leaning on the house, pressure would have to be applied high enough to push the log away from the house. Too low and the roof and gutter would be the fulcrum point and the action would be pushing the base away from the house, which isn't going to happen because it's still rooted in the ground.

My gut says winch / pull the tree away from the house, rootball intact, then cut off cookies. The question is, how to do the pull, and then what to do when your cutting reaches the winchline(s).

I'd lay down a BIG tarp because you're gonna have a lot of sawdust.

I'll draw a pic, incomplete because I can't fully grasp the layout of where the stone wall is, nor the wires, but I'll give it a whack.

Here they are

The cut at the base was me, tired.....trying to get the people back into the house.

I consider myself a good climber, safety is my first concern...Heavy rigging is my weak point.

BS SUNY ESF, Forestry
Consulting utility forester Philidelphia electric and Excel energies.
Three years as a climber with private tree companies.
Two years owner operator of my own business.

set up block in spruce overhead. try to winch it up w/ either grcs or pickup truck then start cutting cookies. or wait until you get the crane. I think it's rather unlikely this tree will move much while waiting on the crane.

I wonder why you had another crane company tell you they wouldn't do it. Seems like a pretty easy job to me.

TreeJunkie said:
set up block in spruce overhead. try to winch it up w/ either grcs or pickup truck then start cutting cookies. or wait until you get the crane. I think it's rather unlikely this tree will move much while waiting on the crane.

I wonder why you had another crane company tell you they wouldn't do it. Seems like a pretty easy job to me.

They said they weren't comfortable with the powerline situation. The local utility was called out to drop the house service and never came. We had to call them again.

My only advice is that in situations like these is; be calm, don't panic, you have plenty of time to do this as no one's life is in danger. That trunk is extremely heavy so, any rigging that you do is going to have to be stronger than you think is necessary. Sounds like waiting for the crane is a good idea. You certainly don't want the local news out there to cover some kind of mishap while removing the trunk off of the house or even worse someone getting injured. It looks like there is two ways to approach this, one is to apply some sort of support to the trunk at the edge of the house and then you can start cutting chunks off of the end until you get back to your support and the other is to lift the whole thing off of there. Is there room to get some lifting equipment in there (loader, forklift or better yet the log loader)? Hope this helps.

First, listen to Stehansen on keepin it cool, no hurry, no stress.

Crane. Lift ~ 10 feet off the house. Finish the base cut from the underside. Upon seperation (small base drop), the crane lifts it out and sets it on your trailer or truck. I would limb it out completely before the crane arrives. That tree's not moving anywhere.

See if you can get the crane to lift out the stump too. Charge client extra for this. I doubt the crane operator will want to do this as they are concerned with a sudden release and a vertical 'spring'. Tell him tension slow and steady, and you guys be ready with an axe to chop roots and a shovel to dislodge soil. It might work, and have him set it on the truck or trailer. Renaturalize stump area, rake up, Done.

Without a crane you could spend all day cutting and humping wood, could cause more damage to the house, and the stump remants would still be there.

Good luck. Great pics.

Back