Need file guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
First, I made the mistake of loaning two of my Stihl saws to a good friend with new chains on them. Just could not say no even if he ruined the saws as he has done many things for me and family. Well, he must run them in the ground. I need to hand sharpen. I have an assortment of hand files but want to be sure to use the correct file size to sharpen. All Stihls, I have 041, 034 and 2-036 pros. Just need to know what size hand files for each of these to use. Anyone have a web site that tells this?

Thanks in advance.

First, I made the mistake of loaning two of my Stihl saws to a good friend with new chains on them. Just could not say no even if he ruined the saws as he has done many things for me and family. Well, he must run them in the ground. I need to hand sharpen. I have an assortment of hand files but want to be sure to use the correct file size to sharpen. All Stihls, I have 041, 034 and 2-036 pros. Just need to know what size hand files for each of these to use. Anyone have a web site that tells this?

Thanks in advance.

I would guess you need a 13/64" or 7/32" if they all have 3/8" pitch chain......

Sorry, but this really puzzles me, as you are not a newbee here, and you obviously had saws for some years - how do you usually sharpen your chain???

Assuming your chain is 3/8", you need 13/64" or 7/32" files - but there are no good guides (that I know of) made for Stihl chain - assuming that is what you have on them....

Thanks in advance.
13/64 or 7/32 for 3/8 and 11/64 or 3/16 for .325 but has something changed or how were you sharpening before?

13/64 or 7/32 for 3/8 and 11/64 or 3/16 for .325 but has something changed or how were you sharpening before?

Use to take them to have sharpened but the old guys have retired or quit and new ones grind them down too much. Figured it was time I learned to do it myself!

When I use a filing guide I like the Husky roller guide.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVA 505 24 35 01&catID=131

It will fit on any chain, the notch is sometimes a little tight. Angles may not be perfect RSC but close enough that you can follow the witness marks and keeps the file at the correct height. Chevytown had a good video on using the Carlton File-O-Plate, looked pretty usable but I've only used it for rakers. While you're at Bailey's you might as well get some WP loops if only for the next time you have to lend your saws to this guy. Doesn't hurt nearly as much when a 13 dollar chain gets rocked as when a 25 dollar one does.

Jack

Use to take them to have sharpened but the old guys have retired or quit and new ones grind them down too much. Figured it was time I learned to do it myself!
Lol, I can definitly relate. when the old guy that done mine 2mi down the road and right next to the liquor store retired it put me in a similar bind.
Oh, well its better to do it yourself anyway
round filing if you have a witness mark pretty much takes care of the 2 angles if you use the right size file and keep the right file height. Keep an eye on the hook angle too determine the file height-lower will give too much hook and high will be too blunt and not self feed. Theres lots of info on all this but it won't replace seat time.

When I use a filing guide I like the Husky roller guide. ... Jack

They are very good on Oregon chain - but you need to have the right one even on those, and you have to know exactly what you do when you use them on Stihl chain - the hight and slope of the top plate isn't the same.

I use them mostly for rakers these days, seldom for cutters - the best guide for top-plates is your eye-balls, combined with the indicators on the cutters.

The most common mistake is to hold the file too low, filing into the gullet instead of sharpening the top-plate, and making too much hook in the process.

The gullets can be filed out later, if needed - I usually use a larger file for that.

Last edited:
Back