Need guidance on Saw choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAMG3X

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have found some saws in the area and need help making a decision.

1. Husqvarna 575XP: looks very used and has broken side cover, wanting $125
2. Husqvarna 570: manufactured in 2011, only ran one season and looks fairly mint condition. $350
3. Stihl MS360: Fairly used condition, wanting $450 at saw shop.

Have read quite a bit about the 570 and 575 and am not worried about the weight. Currently using a friends MS361, how would the Husky's compare in power and feel? I'm assuming the 570 won't have crank problems since it was made in 2011?
I don't mind fixing a saw up as long as part availability isn't an issue, 360's price seems a little steep. For the price I'm leaning towards the 575, what you guys think?

Thanks

"Very used" doesn't sound like a good idea. "450$" sounds like a lot of money. "mint condition for 350$" sounds ok to me. But I have no idea what your needs are. Might check out the "community shopping mile" here http://www.arboristsite.com/tradin-post/. There are usually some excellent deals to be had.

Well, will be using the saw for about everything. Bucking large logs, thinning/cutting trees, and chopping slash piles to prep them for burning. Need quite a bit of power for chowdering piles up. Will give the trading post a look as well.
Is the Power of the 570 more user friendly than the MS360?
570-4.9HP
360-4.4Hp...... Don't have torque specs, but am assuming the 570 has more due to displacement.
Forgot to mention, this will be a saw for work. So will be needing a pro saw that can handle being ran all day. I don't rev my saws to the moon or beat the hell out of them, just long reliable day saw is required.
'
Thanks

Last edited:
If you are using a saw for work, it is an investment and you should see what you can afford and then go up a couple of bucks, you will be using this all day, do not short change your self and do not be afraid to spend money.

Yeah, think I will go with the mint 570. If it's not what I'm lOoking for I could always resale and find someThing else. He bought it new for 800 2 years ago and only used it for one season and 350 sounds pretty good ya think? Have been told to not by a used saw above half price of retail unless it's barely used.

Anyone have an idea what the saw will feel and run like in comparison to a ms360/361?
Have used a 440 a ill bit and like the feel, assuming they should be similar to the 570 w/ a little extra weight.

Have a few weeks till i get a chance to look at the saw, will keep my mind open till then.

Get two,

I would recommend buying the 575 and the 570. You will need a back up saw if you are going to depend on being able to cut every day. Check either one of them out thoroughly. Rough cosmetics can be a result of the saw being very heavily used but can also be a result of careless transport riding around uncased in the back of a truck, etc. Conversely a saw that has seen primarily milling use can have the snot worn out of it and look practically new. So while cosmetics does affect saw value in a considerable fashion, it is not the ONLY indication of condition.

Get two,

I would recommend buying the 575 and the 570. You will need a back up saw if you are going to depend on being able to cut every day. Check either one of them out thoroughly. Rough cosmetics can be a result of the saw being very heavily used but can also be a result of careless transport riding around uncased in the back of a truck, etc. Conversely a saw that has seen primarily milling use can have the snot worn out of it and look practically new. So while cosmetics does affect saw value in a considerable fashion, it is not the ONLY indication of condition.

I agree...well said. I have had and seen some fairly crappy looking saws that ran and worked awesome.

If the cylinder is fine I'd buy the 575xp, it may be very used, but it's designed to be very used

Yeah, think I will go with the mint 570. If it's not what I'm lOoking for I could always resale and find someThing else. He bought it new for 800 2 years ago and only used it for one season and 350 sounds pretty good ya think? Have been told to not by a used saw above half price of retail unless it's barely used.

Anyone have an idea what the saw will feel and run like in comparison to a ms360/361?
Have used a 440 a ill bit and like the feel, assuming they should be similar to the 570 w/ a little extra weight.

Have a few weeks till i get a chance to look at the saw, will keep my mind open till then.

Don't buy it if it isn't what you want. If you need a 70cc saw a 570 probably isn't going to impress you. I have a dam nice MS361 I am trying to bring myself to part with.

We require 60cc+ saws at work, cover a lot of ground and can come across anything that needs to be cut. I should be happy with it if it has comparable power to the Ms360 series. Looking for anything basically between a 360 and 440.
Getting both is a great idea!
When checking the P&C what constitutes too much wear, scratches and grooving? Any other areas that need extra attention?

My choice would be the 360 unless you need to run a 24" bar more than occassionally. It is a nice, light, nimble, all-around saw. It is similar power-wise to the 361 (I believe the spec is 4.6HP) but it is not quite as smooth. I would not want to swing a 570 all day for the power it makes. It is 3lbs heavier than the 360. That doesn't sound like a lot, but swing it all day and you will appreciate the lighter weight. I do think the price is a little high unless the saw is mint.

Well turns out I'm not going to be in town before the guy selling the 570 has to move, so it's no longer an option. Will check out the 575 and look further into the 361. Big fan of the 361's and will probably go that route if I find one for the right price, though first will give the 575 a shot if everything looks ok due to it being so cheap. What would be a good price for a decent used 361? Can only find them for $450+ in my area and they sell quick, seems like my area is more stihl orientated anyways.

If your in Stihl country you might get then alternativ deals at a very good price. Maybe a John Deere CS 62 = Efco CS 162 = Oleo Mac 962 pro saw equal in power to the 360. They usualy go very cheap because they are not well recognized. Maybe a Dolmar 6400 for ~ 200$ from a rental place. Put in a 7900 top end and be king of the gang.

Good luck,

edit: actually I would send nmurph a mail and see if he doesn't have anything in your needed size at the moment.

Last edited:
WOW just looked at the specs of the Dolmar 6400, looks like a beast of a saw! Question is where to get one used and how do they compare in reliability to stihl and Husqvarna?
Hadn't heard of Dolmar till I ventured onto this site

I would never be scared of a Dolmar 6400 and up great saws last forever if you take care of them. Lots of power also and easy to upgrade.

Believe I'm set on the Dolmar 6400, though am currently having financial trouble. Will be ready to drop 500 on a saw with in a month, so who ever has a deal on a new or lightly used dolmar around then I'm down! ;) That makita 6401 to 7900 looks like a BA deal! don't think it will last though by the time I have the cash. If it does I'll be interested

Latest posts

Back