Need Help Deciding. 201 CEM? 241CM? 543 XP? 193CE? 439?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MapleSyrupGuy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I harvest about 16 cord a year from my land to heat my house and to use for making maple syrup. I have a good saw for the big stuff and I have a Stihl 180C that I am sick of messing around with. It was awesome for what I am doing for a few years but I want something reliable and a little more powerful. I want another light nimble saw. The 201CEM looks like it fits the bill perfectly, but I really would like to get this done for less than $700. Is there anything similar out there? The 241CM and the 543XP both look really sweet and I can deal with $500 if I have to. But they are both a touch heavier than I would prefer. I am also not opposed to doing some light mods if that will make a lighter saw rip pretty good and still be reliable. Can I tweak a Husky 439 to get 2.5HP? I just want something real light so I can fling it around and even the 150C looks neat but I think I would just end up using the big saw a lot more. The 180C I could buck the medium sized stuff with and I want to at least be able to do as much as I did with that. Hopefully more. Looking to run a 14" chain. ANy advice greatly appreciated!

241 would be a great choice.

I'm very intrigued by the 439 but have heard very little about them from anyone. I'm sure with a muffler mod you can get close to that 2.5 hp mark.

I have the 201 rear handle & its very light and capable for up to a 14" bar. But its expensive and its design DNA is as a climbing saw. A 241 will be a LOT more durable and serve your purposes best long term. They are clearly the best saw in their class and one of Stihl best products period.

Thanks guys! I can't find anyone to say a bad word about the 241. I was able to get my hands on one in a showroom yesterday. It looks sweet but I did not pull the trigger on buying it. It was a little heavier than I would prefer. And as crazy as it sounds, it's probably more power than I need for what I am doing. Lots of zipping branches off of felled pines. I might just suck it up and get it still and just deal with it. The MS180C that I have really is perfect for my needs, I just wish someone made a durable saw in the 8# and 2.5HP area. Lots of options in the 7# range that have less than 2 HP and then it jumps up to over 9# before you can get 2.5 - 3 HP. Wish that Echo 361P was not $400. If it was $300 I would probably just go that route. But For just $100 over the 361P I can get a much better 241. Damn.

Cutting 16 cords a year with one of them little toothpick saws is asking a lot. I would just step up and get a husky 550xp. Lots of bar and chain options. We use them for limbing and I don’t think anyone has ever considered them heavy and they are a real easy saw to throw around with the outboard clutch.

I have a larger saw for felling and bucking. I like using the 180 for all the limbing and then bucking small trees and the tops of bigger trees. Read some awesome 180 mod threads on here and I might be able to revive the 180 for short money. Or I might just blow it up, haha. Maybe someone will make my dream saw in the meantime. 2.5HP 8.0 lbs 35-38cc rear handle Pro quality, $495. I can dream!

Stihl did offer the rear handle ms200 several years back that sounds just like what you are looking for. I don’t know if you can ever find one but you can always keep an eye open on ebay.

Stihl did offer the rear handle ms200 several years back that sounds just like what you are looking for. I don’t know if you can ever find one but you can always keep an eye open on ebay.

i have the 200 Rear handle, or might be 201. i would say go with the 241 or even bump it up to the 261 if you look at the specs they are pretty close and the 261 tends to be $100 and you get a bit more versatility. the problem with the arborist saws is they are good for in tree use. cut idle, move around cut and idle. the outboard clutches on them can get hot, and will it you are using it for a ground saw and give you some grief, dealing with that now.

+1 on the 241. I bought mine for woodpile work to replace an annoying MS-211 and to avoid repurposing an 036. I've been using the 241 for falling and bucking as well and it's become the saw closest to the shop door real quick. For my use I saved $ and weight over a 261 without degrading utility, but it should be noted that 4 out of 5 area dealers didn't stock 241s because most people spend up to the 261. I'm glad I didn't. I also have a 192, predecessor to the 193, and it's not really interchangeable with the 241 - the 192/3 is a great saw for limbing and trimming, but a little light for rounding up firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the 241. I bought mine for woodpile work to replace an annoying MS-211 and to avoid repurposing an 036. I've been using the 241 for falling and bucking as well and it's become the saw closest to the shop door real quick. For my use I saved $ and weight over a 261 without degrading utility, but it should be noted that 4 out of 5 area dealers didn't stock 241s because most people spend up to the 261. I'm glad I didn't. I also have a 192, predecessor to the 193, and it's not really interchangeable with the 241 - the 192/3 is a great saw for limbing and trimming, but a little light for rounding up firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
241 cuts pretty close to a 261 but its a but more light and agile.

241 cuts pretty close to a 261 but its a but more light and agile.

i would look at the stihl website. 241, and 261 are the same weight, bigger deisplacement now. I would if it where me grab the 261, and then buy a range of bars, 14" to 20" you would get way more use from it. but that's just me

upload_2017-5-17_12-28-34.png

i would look at the stihl website. 241, and 261 are the same weight, bigger deisplacement now. I would if it where me grab the 261, and then buy a range of bars, 14" to 20" you would get way more use from it. but that's just me

View attachment 580037
I had both saws and the 241 feels lighter and I think it is.

That is an error. The 261 is 10.8 just like the 550 XP. The 241 is 9.9 lbs.

I was in a Stihl shop today to buy some chain and noticed the 261 is now rated at 4.0 hp.

I find the 193 interesting and I can't even justify why.

I think a 241 is probably the best bang for the buck, especially if you don't have many saws. My 026 was cheap, is dependable, and I never feel I need something lighter.

That being said I still think somebody should buy a 193 and put it through the paces just because.

Back