Need help identifying and caring for this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knock

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all

I have this tree in my front yard but no idea what it is, or how to properly care for it. I'm attaching a picture of it as it sits right now, and a google image of the tree in summer time.

I climbed into the tree late last season and trimmed out most of the dead branches and tightly intertwining ones. As part of regular maintenance I just trim the branches evenly around the canopy so that they don't hang low over the sidewalk. Beyond that, I have no idea what Im doing!

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

29d8dxz.jpg

4tlsvc.png

Looks like a Contorted Filbert, yours looks like it's grafted onto some kind of tall trunk. Never seen them like that, I have 1 that is grafted at the roots and always has suckers coming up. Looks cool, what your doing sounds about right, remvove dead branches and prune up if needed or you want that look. Just make sure you make good cuts at the proper place. Shouldn't need to do much more than that unless it gets some bad crossing branches that are causing problems. I wouldn't worry about it though. If you get sprouts growing out of the lower trunk they won't be corkscrewed like that and should be cut off too so they don't overgrow the tree.

Last edited:
Hostas on trunk no good; keep 1' area clear.

Filbert or mulberry? either way it would look even cooler if branches hung down to the ground. :msp_thumbup:

A closer look at that blurry google pic does look like Mulberry leaves? Hard to see. And branch structure too......hmm

A closer look at that blurry google pic does look like Mulberry leaves? Hard to see. And branch structure too......hmm

yeah can't see notches in the leaves for sure...could be shadows...either way, Stem canker is the worst pest, and that is fomented by damp trunk conditions.

Has the op ever seen fruit on it? And where is that sidewalk anyway? :msp_mellow:

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick responses everyone. So I should make sure at least 1' around the trunk is clear or hostas and any other vegetation? I never liked that big circle of dirt around the tree, Im going to see about laying some sod down around the trunk.

Here's another google streetsview image, I wish I had better photos myself from last summer. Its hard to tell from this perspective but a lot of the tree hangs over the sidewalk, so I keep it trimmed about 7' off the ground to keep folks from having to duck under it when walking by the house..

edit: no fruits grow on the tree

2vhxi4x.png

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick responses everyone. So I should make sure at least 1' around the trunk is clear or hostas and any other vegetation? I never liked that big circle of dirt around the tree, Im going to see about laying some sod down around the trunk.

Here's another google streetsview image, I wish I had better photos myself from last summer. Its hard to tell from this perspective but a lot of the tree hangs over the sidewalk, so I keep it trimmed about 7' off the ground to keep folks from having to duck under it when walking by the house..

edit: no fruits grow on the tree

2vhxi4x.png
Nice yard. "Vegetation" includes "sod". Turf to the trunk = mower damage = sick tree. I don't like the circle of dirt either--why not cover it with attractive mulch, bark nuggets or something.

See Trees Are Good and be careful when removing hostas to avoid tree root damage.

Nice yard. "Vegetation" includes "sod". Turf to the trunk = mower damage = sick tree. I don't like the circle of dirt either--why not cover it with attractive mulch, bark nuggets or something.

See Trees Are Good and be careful when removing hostas to avoid tree root damage.

Great link, thank you. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

One more question guys, since I already started this thread. This is a large maple in my side yard that the previous owner built interlocking around... can anyone comment on whether this is good/bad/neutral for the tree?

This guy also sheds bark at the tail end of summer, but everything seems healthy otherwise.

io3n2e.jpg

I don't think you'd need much more than a husky 440 to permanently fix these trees:msp_biggrin:

They're not broken! :smile2: and if someone comes near em with a husky 440 they'll have to duke it out with a Remington 870 :msp_tongue:

Only thing wrong with the maple is that it looks like a sycamore!
Hire a local arborist to trim the tree in front. Looks like a nice place!

One more question guys, since I already started this thread. This is a large maple in my side yard that the previous owner built interlocking around... can anyone comment on whether this is good/bad/neutral for the tree?

This guy also sheds bark at the tail end of summer, but everything seems healthy otherwise.

io3n2e.jpg

Well for one I would have used mulch instead of the rocks around the tree, also as long as the roots weren't compacted when the interlocking bricks were installed you should be ok ( for now) Looks like the interlock has been there for a while and the trees roots seem to be absorbing water and nutrients ok. Just keep an eye on it. Shedding of the bark I am not sure about without seeing your property and stuff. Are any of your neighbours trees doing that?

Well for one I would have used mulch instead of the rocks around the tree, also as long as the roots weren't compacted when the interlocking bricks were installed you should be ok ( for now) Looks like the interlock has been there for a while and the trees roots seem to be absorbing water and nutrients ok. Just keep an eye on it. Shedding of the bark I am not sure about without seeing your property and stuff. Are any of your neighbours trees doing that?

No other neighbours have large maples on their properties, and after the other poster mentioned it to be a Sycarmore, I did a quick google search and came up with results confirming that they do indeed shed bark. Example: Dirty trees 1: Amercan sycamore, sweetgum, cottonwood and others my yard looks just like some of those photos, covered in jigsaw pieces of bark. I don't mind it. :)

Not a Camperdown elm?

Looking at google images of Camperdown Elm trees, they do look quite similar. I'll have to wait for warmer weather to get some closeup photos of the leaves, it should be more clear then. Thank you for your suggestion.

can anyone comment on whether this is good/bad/neutral for the tree?
11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

12.jpg

Latest posts

Back