Need help on chainsaw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy steve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cut 6 - 10 cord a year.Not to much felling work.Whats a good stihl saw to own.I've been using a 290 and 210 now.Wanting to spend some money.Thanks

I personally use a 038 and it has been the best saw I have ever used. You can pick up good runners for really cheap. A saw in the same size range will be great for you.

MS361, MS460, or a 372XP. All are a bit over-kill in quality for just doing firewood, but it will make the job fun and you will never regret the purchase. Cheers, Simon.

Go out on a limb and try the 362. Thinkin about doing it myself. Trying to decide between the dolmar 5100 or the 362.
I had a 362 all apart at the Stihl seminar last Thursday. It has many nice features. It is still taking me awhile to warm up to the Strat-scavenging engine design though. If it is anything close to the 361, they have a winner on their hands.

I had a 362 all apart at the Stihl seminar last Thursday. It has many nice features. It is still taking me awhile to warm up to the Strat-scavenging engine design though. If it is anything close to the 361, they have a winner on their hands.

Run a Snellerized 441 and your opinion on the strato saws will change dramatically!!!

:chainsawguy:

I would go with an 038 super or a 361. The 390 is a homeowner saw and not too popular here. My friend has one I muff modded, it cuts fantastic and very reliable. You may want to consider one of them.

It depends on whether or not this guy wants to step up to a 'pro' level saw seeing how he has a 210 and a 290 now. Staying with Stihl might be a smart choice if he has a good dealer nearby.

If it were me, and I had those two saws, I'd roll with a 372XPW.

Keep using the 290/210 combo. Use them until their busted.

Spend a little of the $$$ not spent on a new saw on extra loops and sharpening capability.

There are more powerful saws in the same weight range as the 290, but they're really overkill for your needs.

If you simply must have more power to work more quickly, I'd probably look at the 7900 unless you don't have dealer support. This saw will give a real next level jump in performance at a competitive price.

Working backwards from there... ms460/ms441/372xp/7300 would be my next group of saws.

The 361/362 would be a poor improvement in performance considering the cost.

Now... if you can find a good deal on a used saw, taking you to a 3 saw setup, that's a horse of a different color. But I would still consider a 70cc or bigger saw choice.

HUH??????

Those aren't really comparable saws.....:givebeer:

Your right, I guess you could say the 6400 would be?? I have a 460 now, looking for a two saw set up. The dealer closes to me only had a 7900 and a 5100 at the time. Without getting to technical, It was just my opinion. Their is some junk out their, but most good name saws are all reliable, just a matter of opinion and preference. Agree???

Thanks I had been reading up on the 441 & 460.I 'm really leaning the 441 way.My buddie use's a 660 on the bigger stuff we cut.I wanted something in the middle.I think the 441 is it.:greenchainsaw::clap:

Back