need help pickin out a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunaprop

Reaction score
pickin up 15 cords of wood[all hard wood] 12-15ft long 18-24 inch in diameter,...i need a new saw.[got the splitter thou]..to cut it into 18 inch lengths...probably cut maybe 20-25 cords a year like this....what would you guys recommend as a good saw for this purpose???...stihl,husky 346 or ??? thanks for the info....donny

24" hardwood (ie oak) will need a saw that can easily handle a 25" bar. Due to the amount that you cut I wouldn't get anything less than a professional model. If it was me I would be looking for a Stihl 440/441, or a good condition used 046.

Last edited:
your gonna get alot of opinions on this matter. i am a husky fan so thats where my vote lies. a 346xp would probably be good choice, or maybe go with a the overlooked 353, or a 359, 365, 372. all are good firewood saws and will serve you well. or look at stihls nothing wrong with there pro saws.

6400 Dolmar/6401 Makita

Would be perfect for bucking up what you describe, and without doubt one of the best saw VALUES available.

Mike

I hear those have trouble pulling a 20" B&C;)

HaHa!!!
Aren't you just a funny little man!!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h8YsnjuTiHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is a 28" B/C cutting the HARDEST red oak log in the western half of this state.
There is no saw that can compare to the 6400/6401 when all factors are considered!

Mike

6400 is a good value and has been proven to be very reliable. A 50cc saw will work for what you want but it will have a shorter life than one of the larger saws.Bucking wood out of a big pile is where the larger saws will really shine.

I have a similar situation: 4 bush cords, logs 4 - 8 ft long, etc., mostly ash, hickory and some maple. I'm using my 3 larger saws, each one does the job, but Solo is the surprise, EFCO the favorite (there's lotsa efco discussion on AS), and Mak/Dolmar, steady as she goes. My impression is, 18" is OK - but 20" and more is much better for this job. The bigger saws can tackle bigger jobs for longer, without falling apart.

Husky

I agree with the guys who have been suggesting the husky models, 346 would probably do it, but the 359 would probably be more what you want. You'd probably have to cut from both sides on some, but overall I think it would be a good choice.

If all you're doing is bucking it man, you don't need any heavy duty saws or 70cc saws IF they are going to be too heavy for you. Just had to sell a beloved 372XP because my shoulders and neck won't handle the weight anymore (go ahead, call me names I don't care...).

Every year I get a semi load of maple or beech delivered and every year I cut it up just fine with an 18" bar 353 (muffler modded) and just bought a new 346XP which is a great, light, ripazz saw.

This is the wood I get:

2011-04-19_18-40-44_830.jpg

353 w/18" bar will cut this up just fine, hang on, I'll go put a tape on the biggest logs......................

..................OK the absolute BIGGEST logs I've got measure 23" and there ain't many of them, BUT, mysaws will still cut it up just fine. That 353 has cut up many, many loads of this since I got it in 2007.

If you're going to be felling at all, go with the bigger saws.........and a good pair of shoulders.

As usual, just my opinion.............got any pics of that wood????? Just curious if you've stuck a tape on it yet.

Art

My MS290 handled 20-25" stuff decently... it's not the greatest saw ever, and it gets a ton of hate but for the price it's a nice saw (with a sharp chain :tongue2: ).

Now I was out cutting a 36" oak the other day with my 365sp and it does great. I've only got a 20" b/c on it right now, so I have to make two cuts on bigger stuff. It's a nice saw for the money, and compares well with my friend's 272s and 372s. I don't think I'd put anything bigger than a 25" b/c on it, but it handles that (25") fine.

Husky

If you go husky I might bump up to the 359 instead of the 346, not too much more to handle but a lot more buttery to cut with, especially if its really big wood like you said.

Husky 359 is rated to pull a 24" b&c in the mfr specs. MM it and it'ss do it all day long. Light enough to use for long periods, good flexible powerband and enough displacement to get through the bigger hardwoods without bogging.

359 is my one saw solution for felling, limbing and bucking my firewood.

Back